IBM-PC 370 hardware/software
Author Message
 IBM-PC 370 hardware/software

I JUst noticed that IBM made a 370 emulation card set for
the PC. Has anyone seen or used such a thing, if so can you
fill me in on how it proforms and limitations if any compared
to the 370 machine it self.

Our company currently uses 4381's with 370 assemblers to create
370 object code. We would like to get rid of these massive machines
but we need a way to assemble.

Any other ideas, like a 370 assembler that can be ported to a
unix machine would be the ultimate for us, but I can't see why
anyone would spend the time to write this tool on such an old
machine.

Thankx in advance   Jim

Sun, 01 Oct 1995 03:07:19 GMT
 IBM-PC 370 hardware/software
[...]

Quote:
>Our company currently uses 4381's with 370 assemblers to create
>370 object code. We would like to get rid of these massive machines
>but we need a way to assemble.

>Any other ideas, like a 370 assembler that can be ported to a
>unix machine would be the ultimate for us, but I can't see why

What you want is IBM's P370 card.  You plug it into a microchannel PS/2
(usually a 70-class PS/2) and it gives you a 16m 370 with about
the same power as a 4381.  The PS/2 comes with software so it does all the
i/o, simulating 370 disks/tapes/terminals on PS/2 attached hardware.
Costs in the neighborhood of 20k$ including the PS/2 and the PS/2 software,
and runs vanilla VM.  Price includes the VM license.

Contact Marty Ziskind (IBMer) at 800-633-7437.
--

What?   Me speak for Amdahl?  Surely you jest....

Sun, 01 Oct 1995 12:29:09 GMT

1. IBM 370 Mainframe Board for the PC

2. ibm pc/370 -- what is this beast???

3. IBM PC hardware interaction

4. Forcing a hardware int on IBM PCs

5. Charles Kozierok can't be trusted with comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.cpu (moderated)

6. IBM system 370

7. IBM Mainframe 370

8. OS for IBM 370

9. IBM/370 architecture specification

10. FA: Assembler Language Programming for the IBM 370

11. FS: IBM System/370 Emergency Pull Knob

12. IBM 370 ASM to C