help for new assembly'er
Author Message
 help for new assembly'er

Quote:
>During my first class in BAL, the assistant (who was grading all of the
>exercises) said "always use PRINT GEN" to which the instructor said
>"you mean, never use PRINT GEN".  I tend to the "always" mode.

    If the class was really BAL, then why were you using PRINT GEN?

    Note: The last S/360 BAL that IBM had was for the S/360-20.
 Later, when IBM came out with the MACRO Assemblers, they called
 them Full Assemblers.

    Classes that teach assembler without teaching macros are still
 called BAL, even though there has never been a S/370 BAL product.

Fri, 20 Aug 1993 20:34:16 GMT
 help for new assembly'er

Quote:
> During my first class in BAL, the assistant (who was grading all of the
> exercises) said "always use PRINT GEN" to which the instructor said
> "you mean, never use PRINT GEN".  I tend to the "always" mode.

PRINT NOGEN can hide programming errors.  Long ago, as a consultant
for student programmers, I was presented with an abend S0C4 in low
core (yep, it was long ago).  It was abending on a PUT to a file.
Given the logic flow of the simple program, it was clear that there
was no way the open could not have been executed, yet the file wasn't
open!  Here is the relevant part of what I saw:

       LA    R4,SYSPRINT
       OPEN  (R4)
       LA    R4,SYSPRINT
       PUT   (R4),...

With PRINT NOGEN, this error is extremely difficult to spot.  I told
the student to never use PRINT NOGEN around executable code.

Leonard D. Woren      Senior MVS Systems Programmer

University of Southern California             What would be the point?

Wed, 25 Aug 1993 14:21:00 GMT

1. help for new assembly'er

2. Document'er and Diagram'er ???

3. New REXX'er

4. A few idioms and programs for new J'ers

5. The Tcl'ers Wiki - new URL

6. help for new Prolog-er

7. sed'ers & awk'ers part II - help!

8. If you're a TPF'er check out the Alternative TPF Homepage

9. determining name of 'send'er

10. Yet more new work for PL/I-ers....

11. New Assembly Programmer needs help of Expert.

12. a puzzle for j'ers