Macro-level CICS Registers?
Author Message
 Macro-level CICS Registers?

A CICS command-level module I recently examined avoided the use of
register 12, with the notation "RESERVED FOR PL/I".

I cannot find any restriction on the use of register 12 in a CICS
command-level program.

At one time, this was probably a macro-level program.

Does anyone know of a good reason not to use R12?  I expect this is an
ancient macro-level restriction, but no longer have any macro-level
documenation available to check....

Thanks for any help... (email response preferred)

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Macro-level CICS Registers?
Register 12 is used for the runtime anchor block address in LE and also (I
believe) in earlier runtimes. Its of no concern to Asm programs, unless said
Asm program needs to call other modules in HLL, e.g. PL/1 or Cobol - in
which case, R12 needs to be passed unmolested in order for those language
processors to use the same runtime environment. Without it, it would still
work, but a good deal slower.
Quote:

>A CICS command-level module I recently examined avoided the use of
>register 12, with the notation "RESERVED FOR PL/I".

>I cannot find any restriction on the use of register 12 in a CICS
>command-level program.

>At one time, this was probably a macro-level program.

>Does anyone know of a good reason not to use R12?  I expect this is an
>ancient macro-level restriction, but no longer have any macro-level
>documenation available to check....

Sun, 24 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Macro-level CICS Registers?
Also, in CICS macro-level coding, Reg12 was the basereg for the TCA
(Task Control Area), and Reg13 was the basereg for the CICS CSA (Common
System Area).  Both were "mandatory leave'em alones".

    -jc-

Quote:

> Register 12 is used for the runtime anchor block address in LE and also (I
> believe) in earlier runtimes. Its of no concern to Asm programs, unless said
> Asm program needs to call other modules in HLL, e.g. PL/1 or Cobol - in
> which case, R12 needs to be passed unmolested in order for those language
> processors to use the same runtime environment. Without it, it would still
> work, but a good deal slower.

> >A CICS command-level module I recently examined avoided the use of
> >register 12, with the notation "RESERVED FOR PL/I".

> >I cannot find any restriction on the use of register 12 in a CICS
> >command-level program.

> >At one time, this was probably a macro-level program.

> >Does anyone know of a good reason not to use R12?  I expect this is an
> >ancient macro-level restriction, but no longer have any macro-level
> >documenation available to check....

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Macro-level CICS Registers?
IF, by chance, your assembly language program is called by a LE HLL or
PL/I R12 needs to be kept intact if you expect the HLL to perform error
recovery, either by chance or intent.
Quote:

> A CICS command-level module I recently examined avoided the use of
> register 12, with the notation "RESERVED FOR PL/I".

> I cannot find any restriction on the use of register 12 in a CICS
> command-level program.

> At one time, this was probably a macro-level program.

> Does anyone know of a good reason not to use R12?  I expect this is an
> ancient macro-level restriction, but no longer have any macro-level
> documenation available to check....

> Thanks for any help... (email response preferred)

Thu, 28 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. CICS MACRO LEVEL to COMMAND LEVEL

2. CICS MACRO LEVEL IN ASSEMBLER

3. CICS/VSAM (Macro Level) for USA-NC

4. description/explanation of CICS macros

5. BAL/BALR vs BAS/BASR in CICS macros

6. CICS/PL1 Macro- to Cmd-lvl Conversion Consultants?

7. Error: Clock skew plus hold time of destination register exceeds register-to-register delay

8. Error: Clock skew plus hold time of destination register exceeds register-to-register delay

9. description/explanation of CICS macros

10. CICS Macro->Command

11. US-NE-CICS(MACRO)/ASSEMBLER P/A-CONT OR PERM

12. US-NJ - COBOL/CICS/(DB2 or VSAM) Programmer Analysts various levels for major bank