UNIX to MVS JES via FTP
Author Message
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

I need to send MVS JES jobs from UNIX.  According to IBM's TCP/IP MVS
User's Guide, it's possible to talk to JES using FTP and the "site
filetype=jes" command.  Of course, this is discussing how to do this
with the MVS FTP client talking to a different MVS site.  Does anyone
know of a UNIX FTP client that will support this command, or how else
I would issue the correct command from UNIX FTP to deal with JES on
MVS?  If not UNIX, does anyone know a PC method?  Thanks.

               {*filter*}

--

    Intermetrics, Inc.
    23 Fourth Avenue

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

Just found my own answer!  The FTP client supports "quote", so I can
issue "quote site filetype=jes" from UNIX to tell MVS what I want to
do.  This seems to work.

               {*filter*}

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

Quote:

>I need to send MVS JES jobs from UNIX.  According to IBM's TCP/IP MVS
>User's Guide, it's possible to talk to JES using FTP and the "site
>filetype=jes" command.  Of course, this is discussing how to do this
>with the MVS FTP client talking to a different MVS site.  Does anyone
>know of a UNIX FTP client that will support this command, or how else
>I would issue the correct command from UNIX FTP to deal with JES on
>MVS?  If not UNIX, does anyone know a PC method?  Thanks.

From the client FTP, try "quote site filetype=jes".  The "quote"
command tells the client to pass the rest of the command line on to
the server as a server-side command without further interpretation
(or something along those lines; look up the FTP RFC if you want
chapter and verse).  It's more likely to be implemented than IBM's
MVS-specific site commands.

Without knowing *which* Unix you're talking about, it's hard to be
more specific.

AAI Development, Micro Focus Inc.
Department of English, Miami University

Sat, 11 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

Quote:

> I need to send MVS JES jobs from UNIX.  According to IBM's TCP/IP MVS
> User's Guide, it's possible to talk to JES using FTP and the "site
> filetype=jes" command.  Of course, this is discussing how to do this
> with the MVS FTP client talking to a different MVS site.  Does anyone
> know of a UNIX FTP client that will support this command, or how else
> I would issue the correct command from UNIX FTP to deal with JES on
> MVS?  If not UNIX, does anyone know a PC method?  Thanks.

Have you tried something like "QUOTE site filetype=jes"?

--

                        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
                        Senior Software SE

The values in from and reply-to are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain eds.com, user msustys1.smetz or to domain gsg.eds.com,

Sun, 12 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

: >
: > I need to send MVS JES jobs from UNIX.  According to IBM's TCP/IP MVS
: > User's Guide, it's possible to talk to JES using FTP and the "site
: > filetype=jes" command.  Of course, this is discussing how to do this
: > with the MVS FTP client talking to a different MVS site.  Does anyone
: > know of a UNIX FTP client that will support this command, or how else
: > I would issue the correct command from UNIX FTP to deal with JES on
: > MVS?  If not UNIX, does anyone know a PC method?  Thanks.
: >
: >                {*filter*}
: >
: > --

: >     Intermetrics, Inc.
: >     23 Fourth Avenue
: >     Burlington, Ma. 01803-3303      781-221-6990

: The OS/2 FTP handles this nicely...
: FTP MYOS390
: <login stuff goes here>
: site filetype=jes
: put pcfile.jcl
: <OS/390 responds with the JES JOB12345>
: ls
: <OS/390 responds with the JOBids of the JOBS in the queue>
: get job12345 job12345.txt
: <and the spooled output gets moved to your PC's drive>
: quit
: <OS/390 disconnects you>
:
: I suspect you have an FTP which does not include the "site" command

Fortunately, the ftp client does not *need* to know the "site" command.
Nearly all ftp clients understand the "quote" command.  Therefore, if your
ftp client doesn't like "site", you can issue "quote site".  For example:

quote site filetype=jes
--
| Edward E. Jaffe                | Voice:       (310) 338-0400 x318    |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | Facsimile:   (310) 338-0801         |

| 9841 Airport Blvd, Suite 700   | IBM Mail:    USS24J24 at IBMMAIL    |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | Web page:    www.phnxsoftware.com   |

Sun, 26 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

There are 2 sides to an FTP file transfer. When you type SITE, it will be
processed on the local FTP. If you are running WIN/95 FTP, then the method
to send commands to the remote FTP is the LITERAL command. Use LITERAL SITE
FILETYPE=JES to set it to jes. Help is also available use LITERAL HELP SITE
to display the help file for the SITE command on the remote system.

Quote:

writes:

> >> I need to send MVS JES jobs from UNIX.  According to IBM's TCP/IP MVS
> >> User's Guide, it's possible to talk to JES using FTP and the "site
> >> filetype=jes" command.  Of course, this is discussing how to do this
> >> with the MVS FTP client talking to a different MVS site.  Does anyone
> >> know of a UNIX FTP client that will support this command, or how else
> >> I would issue the correct command from UNIX FTP to deal with JES on
> >> MVS?  If not UNIX, does anyone know a PC method?  Thanks.

> >>                {*filter*}

> >> --

> >>     Intermetrics, Inc.
> >>     23 Fourth Avenue
> >>     Burlington, Ma. 01803-3303      781-221-6990

> >The OS/2 FTP handles this nicely...
> >FTP MYOS390
> ><login stuff goes here>
> >site filetype=jes
> >put pcfile.jcl
> ><OS/390 responds with the JES JOB12345>
> >ls
> ><OS/390 responds with the JOBids of the JOBS in the queue>
> >get job12345 job12345.txt
> ><and the spooled output gets moved to your PC's drive>
> >quit
> ><OS/390 disconnects you>

> >I suspect you have an FTP which does not include the "site" command

> If you are interested in PC software which will submit jobs to and
retrieve
> output from JES2, we (NIU) wrote a package called MVSBATCH which will do
just
> this (but it requires IBM's TCP/IP on MVS).  You can find it in the
> "anonymous FTP" area of my home page (see below).  It is copyrighted and
> not supported, but the price is probably right.  The current version is
> 2.04a although 2.04 is also available.  It was designed (and works) on
OS/2
> and is in use on Windows 3.11 systems.

>                                           ear-mail: 1.815.753.9447
> Computer Center                           fax:      1.815.753.9252
> Northern Illinois University              ftp:      mstack.cso.niu.edu
> DeKalb, IL  60115                         url:

http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 28 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 UNIX to MVS JES via FTP

as client i have a Interactive - Unix  and the server is a OS/390 / MVS
5.2.
This client supports the site command.
This site command is transfered uninterpreted to the Server.
If you type "site filetype=jes" the server interprets this string and
give data from the the follwing Put-Command  to Jes-Internal reader.

This works very well

Dieter Becker
MVS-System-Programmer

Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. MVS-JES command output

2. Are MF Unix updates available via FTP?

3. ftp_lib access to MVS/JES

4. How do I FTP load modules from MVS-->PC-->MVS

5. US - FL - S.E. ****MVS/CICS PROGRAMMERS (UNIX,MVS/TSO,ISPF,COBOL)****CONTRACT

6. Transfering MVS load modules via PC

7. Transfering MVS load modules via PC

8. CLIENT (Windows 3.1 or 95 or NT) to MVS-CICS via TCP/IP or other gateway

9. FTP in OS/390 MVS REXX

10. HELP: Rexx & FTP from OS2 to MVS

11. Does REXX FTP support MVS GDG's?

12. HELP - FTP JCL OS/VS MVS TSO