Windows progs with A86
Author Message
 Windows progs with A86

hello world !

Is it possible to make windows programs with a86 ? How to do this ?

Thanx

        Blatman

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> hello world !

> Is it possible to make windows programs with a86 ? How to do this ?

You might start by posting your question on the correct news group <g>.

--

        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
        Senior Software SE

The values in From are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain exse01.exch.eds.com, user seymour.metz.

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

You know what is a86 ? a86 is an assembler, and maybe i posted this message
on the correct newsgroup (comp.lang.asm370).

Do you know that asm (like asm370) stand for "assembler" and not for "ass
moderator" ?

            Blatman

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz a crit dans le message

Quote:

>> hello world !

>> Is it possible to make windows programs with a86 ? How to do this ?

>You might start by posting your question on the correct news group <g>.

>--

> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> Senior Software SE
> EDS

>The values in From are for the benefit of spammers:
>reply to domain exse01.exch.eds.com, user seymour.metz.

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> You know what is a86 ? a86 is an assembler, and maybe i posted this message
> on the correct newsgroup (comp.lang.asm370).

> Do you know that asm (like asm370) stand for "assembler" and not for "ass
> moderator" ?

Yes, but "a86" isn't "asm370" now, is it? I don't see a problem with Shmuel's
response. Keep in mind you're wasting *your* time posting here, as well as
ours. Shmuel even added a "<g>" to let you know he wasn't flaming you. In the
case you really don't know, "asm370" is the Assembler for IBM mainframes.

Bill {*filter*}

Quote:
>             Blatman

> Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz a crit dans le message

> >> hello world !

> >> Is it possible to make windows programs with a86 ? How to do this ?

> >You might start by posting your question on the correct news group <g>.

> >--

> > Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
> > Senior Software SE
> > EDS

> >The values in From are for the benefit of spammers:
> >reply to domain exse01.exch.eds.com, user seymour.metz.

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:
>You know what is a86 ? a86 is an assembler, and maybe i posted this message
>on the correct newsgroup (comp.lang.asm370).

>Do you know that asm (like asm370) stand for "assembler" and not for "ass
>moderator" ?

Maybe you didn't post on the correct newgroup. Asm370 refers to IBM
mainframe assembler which is worlds apart from A86.  There's no such
thing as Windows for MVS so it is not possible to write windows
applications using the assembler covered by this newgroup.

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Hello Shmuel !

I'm sorry for the message I sent you. I did'nt know what is <g>. And I
really didn't know what was asm370.

            Blatman

Wed, 16 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

>You know what is a86 ? a86 is an assembler, and maybe i posted this message
>on the correct newsgroup (comp.lang.asm370).

>Do you know that asm (like asm370) stand for "assembler" and not for "ass
>moderator" ?

>            Blatman

>Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz a crit dans le message

>>> hello world !

>>> Is it possible to make windows programs with a86 ? How to do this ?

>>You might start by posting your question on the correct news group <g>.

Dear Blatman,

Do you propose maybe 86 == 370?

If you are indeed in the correct newsgroup, then the answer is you can't
program Windows in assembler.

Bernie

--

Ontario DX Association    ===> http://www.grove.net/~odxa
Tsuruoka Canadian Budokai ===> http://www.interlog.com/~brat/tcb

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> There's no such thing as Windows for MVS

Sure there is, but we call it ISPF  8-)

Also, if Blatman is still listening (and since he apologized for his
childish remark) - You can code Windows apps in MASM, so I'm sure you
can also do the same in A86 - you'll need the Windows SDK though.  But
don't bother too much with assembler Windows applications.  You're much
better off in C - just switch to ASM within C where appropriate.

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> There's no such
> thing as Windows for MVS so it is not possible to write windows
> applications using the assembler covered by this newgroup.

Ron, that's not entirely true any more. There is a port of X11R6(?)
or at least X11R5 into the MVS/OE environment. But I will stop
short of calling it "Windows," as the X11 consortium frowns on
using this term. (I can't say as I blame them!)

I don't know of any popular unix/X programs that have been ported,
but my employer is investigating doing so with several that I'm
aware of.

You are correct insofar as using it with "Assembler." I suspect
that if one could master the "system programming" interface of
LE/370, then you may be able to write a X11 program in assembler!
Wow! what a unique concept that would be!? I wonder how many
people would jump on that bandwagon if a toolkit or something
was made available???

Any takers?

Later,
Bill B.

Thu, 17 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> I'm sorry for the message I sent you. I did'nt know what is <g>. And I
> really didn't know what was asm370.

:) Thanks.

And to help you in your search: yes, it is possible to code
WinXX in Assm86 (Shuhure, what else could be the answer :).

But you have to learn all the nice quirks and misfits of
Win the hard way, like always add a data segmant, to DLLs
even if you need no since Win will 'try' to free the NIL
pointer...

If you could get a copy of the Win 3.0 SDK books you will
find some detaild examples. In the 3.1 edition they droped
most of them.

Gruss
H.

Follow up -> comp.lang.asm.x86
--
Ich denke, also bin ich, also gut.
HRK.

Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> Sure there is, but we call it ISPF  8-)

The ISPF Dialog Manager uses an entirely different paradigm from
WinDoze. I'd say that the closest thing to WinDoze in MVS is GDDM, and
it's not very close.

Quote:
> Also, if Blatman is still listening (and since he apologized for his
> childish remark) - You can code Windows apps in MASM, so I'm sure you
> can also do the same in A86 - you'll need the Windows SDK though.  But
> don't bother too much with assembler Windows applications.  You're much
> better off in C - just switch to ASM within C where appropriate.

<AOL>
Yes; it will be a lot easier to program the usual WinDoze program in C
or PL/I than in assembler, and if there is code that must be in
assembler it should be relegated to subroutines. But that's best
discussed in a forum where it is on topic and where wintel types hang
out.
</AOL>

--

        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
        Senior Software SE
        EDS

The values in From are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain exse01.exch.eds.com, user seymour.metz.

Fri, 18 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> > Sure there is, but we call it ISPF  8-)

> The ISPF Dialog Manager uses an entirely different paradigm from
> WinDoze. I'd say that the closest thing to WinDoze in MVS is GDDM, and
> it's not very close.

> > Also, if Blatman is still listening (and since he apologized for his
> > childish remark) - You can code Windows apps in MASM, so I'm sure you
> > can also do the same in A86 - you'll need the Windows SDK though.  But
> > don't bother too much with assembler Windows applications.  You're much
> > better off in C - just switch to ASM within C where appropriate.

> <AOL>
> Yes; it will be a lot easier to program the usual WinDoze program in C
> or PL/I than in assembler, and if there is code that must be in
> assembler it should be relegated to subroutines. But that's best
> discussed in a forum where it is on topic and where wintel types hang
> out.
> </AOL>

Sorry... I don't know what AOL means.  Guess I'll just be quiet now and

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Windows progs with A86

Quote:

> Sorry... I don't know what AOL means.

In this context, <AOL> means "me too".

--

        Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
        Senior Software SE
        EDS

The values in From are for the benefit of spammers:
reply to domain exse01.exch.eds.com, user seymour.metz.

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Windows progs with A86 ?

2. Windows progs with A86

3. Blinker 7, Clipper and Windows progs

4. windows progs in memory

5. MS-COBOL 4.50 MS-Windows progs

6. Redirection operators in MS Windows progs

7. A86 and MS Windows 3.1

8. What is the name of the IBM Sys Progs association

9. Running Clipper progs from Win95 or Win98

10. Codepage Trouble with clipper-progs that working in a Dos-Box-Window

11. Old clipper progs with fast pc's

12. Running clipper progs under NT4