Book for 370/390 Assembly
Author Message
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
Thanks, in advance!

                                   Randall A. Maas

Fri, 30 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

Quote:

>  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
>assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
>in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
>Thanks, in advance!

>                                   Randall A. Maas

Randall,
  I know there are beginning assmbler books, but it's been about 15 years since I
read one in school (not bragging - just explaining I'm old and can't remember the
name). There used to be a good one by Stern (soft cover). I found a nice one for
MVS by Cannatello called Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces.
If you have dobnne C, asm should be very straight forward. Also don't forget
The Principles Of Operation!

 JMC

Sat, 31 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly
Let me second the comment about Cannatello's book. It's worth buying. It
does contain some errors but I feel it is a good book for a 'real' programmer.
It's helped me transit from VSE to MVS.

Quote:

>>  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
>>assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
>>in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
>>Thanks, in advance!

>>                                   Randall A. Maas

>Randall,
>  I know there are beginning assmbler books, but it's been about 15 years since I
>read one in school (not bragging - just explaining I'm old and can't remember the
>name). There used to be a good one by Stern (soft cover). I found a nice one for
>MVS by Cannatello called Advanced Assembler Language and MVS Interfaces.
>If you have dobnne C, asm should be very straight forward. Also don't forget
>The Principles Of Operation!

> JMC

Troy Brumley           |
LEXIS-NEXIS            |
P.O. Box 933           |
Dayton, OH 45401       |

Sat, 31 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

Quote:

>  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
>assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
>in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
>Thanks, in advance!

>                                   Randall A. Maas

A book called 'Assembler Language Programming, The IBM System/370 Family'
by George Struble, published by Addison Wesley, 1984, 3rd edition, is
an excellent book. Starting with some basics, it leads to quite an
advanced level, and includes good prgramming techniques. After about 8
years of S/370 assembly programming I still often refer to it.
By now, it may be on a later edition.

Enjoy assembler - it's the bees' knees!

 Richard.
 Hucknall,  England.

Sat, 31 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

m>  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
m>assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
m>in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
m>Thanks, in advance!

Our school uses "The IBM 370 - Computer Organization and Assembly
Language", authored by Gordon Bailes and Robert Riser.
ISBN: 0-314-93148-1.  I have found it to be an excellent reference and
source of coding examples.  We're working on an ES9000.

Steven R. Drake, TSUD, Dothan, Alabama
Message entered at 06:07AM CST on 08/15/95
Standard disclaimer applies.

'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.012 - (C) PBE

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

Quote:

>   Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
> assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
> in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
> Thanks, in advance!

There really aren't very many.  I recall that as a callow youth, I used
to read the IBM System/360 Principles of Operation.  Informative but
most certainly not entertaining.  I later changed to reading the IBM
System/370 Principles of Operation - not much more entertaining but a
bit more content.

Charles

Sun, 01 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

==========C.F. Hankel, 8/16/95==========

Quote:

>   Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
> assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
> in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
> Thanks, in advance!

I am using a book called "Assembly Language Programming and the IBM 360 and
370 Computers" published in 1976 (ISBN 0-13-049536-0). But I cannot tell
whether or not a later edition is available with the S/390 instructions. The
publisher is Prentice-Hall, Inc. in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

Sjaak Kommers
============
Sjaak Kommers
AT&T WCND Utrecht
Netherlands
Tel: +31-3402-97532

Mon, 02 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

Quote:

> ==========C.F. Hankel, 8/16/95==========

> >   Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
> > assembly language?  The person to use this book has written programs
> > in C and Pascal, and has done some "tinkering" in x86 assembler.
> > Thanks, in advance!

> I am using a book called "Assembly Language Programming and the IBM 360 and
> 370 Computers" published in 1976 (ISBN 0-13-049536-0). But I cannot tell
> whether or not a later edition is available with the S/390 instructions. The
> publisher is Prentice-Hall, Inc. in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

> Sjaak Kommers
> ============

Wrong attribution, Sjaak.  I learned assembler over twenty years ago,
even did some work at Computercentrum Bondsspaarbanken in 1980.

Tot ziens
Charles

Tue, 03 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Book for 370/390 Assembly

Quote:

>  Could someone on this newsgroup suggest a good book on 370/390
>assembly language?

I would recommend IBM Assembler: An Intuitive Approach by Robert W. McBeth and J.
Robert Ferguson, published by John Wiley and Sons, ISBN 0-471-82424-0.  The
edition I have was published in 1987 so there may be another edition out.  It was
what I used to learn 370 assembler after programming in COBOL for 15 years.

--
----------------
Jay Moseley, CCP

Wed, 04 Feb 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Definitive 370/390 assembler book?

2. Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)

3. Palm Pilot app for Assembler 370/390 programemrs

4. BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

5. 370/390 ASSEMBLER Compiler/linkage for PC Platform

6. COBOL/370 to COBOL/390

7. VS FORTRAN 2.6 on OS/390, LE/370

8. Search a good book for 370 Assembly

9. Y2K and 370/Assembly Language

10. 370 assembly on a pc

11. IBM 370 Assembly Language - Parsers?

12. IBM 370 Assembly Language - Parsers