Offsubject: help sought per PC base 3480/3490 tape drives
Author Message
 Offsubject: help sought per PC base 3480/3490 tape drives

This is slightly offsubject, so please ignore it if you're not interested.

I would greatly appreciate help in selecting hardware and software for a PC
based (Intel Pentium category) tape drive compatible with the IBM 3480 and
3490/3490E format.

My basic objective is to be able to view mainframe generated EBCDIC contents of
files, and preferably to be able to dump labels.  It would be nice to be able
to stage files onto the PC hard disk.

The central fact is that the tapes are extremely valuable, so reliable and safe
performance of the PC/tape drive combinations is our main interest.

If you have had real-world experience with such tapes on (Intel) PC based
systems I hope you will take a moment to comment on hardware brands and
software you used.  If you can add vendor information as well, that would be
appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your valuable time.

Robert Rayhawk

Sat, 02 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Offsubject: help sought per PC base 3480/3490 tape drives

Quote:

>I would greatly appreciate help in selecting hardware and software for a PC
>based (Intel Pentium category) tape drive compatible with the IBM 3480 and
>3490/3490E format.

Take a look at http://www.qualstar.com/. I have just looked at their
site. I don't have any experience.

Ilan
[Ilan Cohen______________________________CTV Product Dev. Mgr. ]
[New Dimension Software LTD.___________Phone: ++972-3-645-1119 ]
[Atidim, Bldg. 7, P.O.B 58168__________Fax:   ++972-3-645-1100 ]

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Drivers for 3480/3490 on Win95/NT..

2. Compressing data on 3490 tapes (OS/390)

3. WTB: used/excess/scratch 3480, 3490, 1/2" 6250 BPI all lengths

4. Tape Drive on PC

5. Tape drive detach w/o unload rewind

6. Backing up to SCSI tape drives.

7. Tape Drive for backup-any recommendations?

8. Programming tape drive in LabView

9. Seeking GCL for {MacOS, Solaris(PC), Windows(PC)}

10. Can PC compilers read/write on mini tapes?

11. TAPE TO TAPE PIOCS

12. Run Exe 1 only per PC