SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000
Author Message
 SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000

I have recently "upgraded" one of my PC systems from Windows 98 to Windows 2000
Professional.

Most of my old applications still work just fine, but there are two that no
longer work and I was wondering if anyone has experience / suggestions that
might help here.

First SPF Pro from CTC. This is an ISPF look-alike for the PC. It's been
discussed on this newsgroup various times in the past.

Over the years I have purchased / upgraded to several versions:

       SPF PC which is DOS based; it still runs under Windows 2000, but cannot
handle long names

       SPF Win which is Windows 3.x based; it runs, but for some reason will
not always
                open directories that have members

       SPF Pro which says "for Win-95 and Win-NT" on its installation diskette;
when I try to get
                this running, I get the message

"The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to
terminate the application."

My problem is that this is no longer the current version of the product. CTC
have moved on to later versions, but these later versions do not support REXX,
only C. So I would like to keep SPF Pro, but no support and no ideas (I've
uninstalled and reinstalled several times). Any help would be appreciated.

The other app I would like to keep is Ventura Publisher 4.1. This is also way
down level (current version is 8.x, I think). But when VP was purchased by
Corel they changed all the interfaces, forced you to change file naming
conventions, and provided no reasonable migration path (I have hundreds of VP
chapters written for my course materials). The strange thing is, VP worked
under Windows 2000 at one point, then as I was updating drivers and adding
Visual Age COBOL and PL/I, VP stopped working; I have tried uninstalling the VA
products, but still no go; so it must be a driver, and I can't figure out how
to find which driver is causing the problem.

Of course, no one from the relevant companies cares (not Microsoft [although I
have found tech support from them to be vastly improved], Corel, nor CTC).
Since these are no longer supported products, there's no incentive for them to
bother, and I understand that.

Any suggestions appreciated, including suggestions for related newsgroups to
try.

Kind regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Tue, 11 May 2004 23:05:51 GMT
 SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000
<snip>
Quote:
> First SPF Pro from CTC. This is an ISPF look-alike for the PC. It's been
> discussed on this newsgroup various times in the past.

<snip>
>        SPF Pro which says "for Win-95 and Win-NT" on its installation diskette;
> when I try to get
>                 this running, I get the message

> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to
> terminate the application."

<snip>

What is the release level of your CTC SPF Pro? Mine is
5.0.3, and I think I can send you the updater to this level.

With regards to VP - I wondered what the ******* was wrong
with it the last time I saw it. It was so different I
couldn't even get it to work (BTW - I still have a fully
functional WS 7.0 and all the manuals, WSW was an absolute
disaster).

Meanwhile, I discussed the REXX problems with CTC. They felt
that REXX was a dead language and that everyone wanted a "C"
interface. I'm wondering if what they ran into was a bunch
of C programmers that were tired of character only editors,
and loved the idea of columnar based editing?

--
Steve Thompson
OSP Consulting

Tue, 11 May 2004 23:34:03 GMT
 SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000

Quote:
Steve Thompson wrote...
>What is the release level of your CTC SPF Pro? Mine is
>5.0.3, and I think I can send you the updater to this level.

Yeah, I'm at 5.0.3, too. Thanks, though.

Quote:
>With regards to VP - I wondered what the ******* was wrong
>with it the last time I saw it. It was so different I
>couldn't even get it to work (BTW - I still have a fully
>functional WS 7.0 and all the manuals, WSW was an absolute
>disaster).

Agreed.

Quote:

>Meanwhile, I discussed the REXX problems with CTC. They felt
>that REXX was a dead language and that everyone wanted a "C"
>interface. I'm wondering if what they ran into was a bunch
>of C programmers that were tired of character only editors,
>and loved the idea of columnar based editing?

I seem to recall hearing the original coders quit (or were let go) and the new
guys didn't understand REXX. Who knows?

I keep hoping I'll come across one of the original developers of either of
these products who might be interested in doing a little upgrade work, if it's
not too expensive and copyrights have expired.

Kind regards,

Steve Comstock
Telephone: 303-393-8716
www.trainersfriend.com

256-B S. Monaco Parkway
Denver, CO 80224
USA

Wed, 12 May 2004 02:18:54 GMT
 SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000
Steve,
See?  You should have stayed with OS/2!  (I'm using eComStation these days.)  You
wouldn't be bothered with new versions of all the good old working tools, or non
compatible OS upgrades that obsolete them.  Seems like everything that ever worked
in OS/2 still works.  With eCS, I'm actually in pretty good shape.  It includes not
only Lotus SmartSuite, but StarOffice, so I have toold that can read MS Office
files, etc.  Not that this helps you very much....

I'm sure you have thought of keeping another (older) version of Windows that you
can boot to for keeping your training docs up to date.  That's the only thing that
occurs to me as a possibility for your Ventura Publisher problem.

I assume you want to use SPF Pro as your editor for VA COBOL & PL/1.  I've pretty
much resigned myself to using the included editor for VA COBOL.  It claims to have
some ISPF like behavior, but I sure can't see the similarity.  I can't even
renumber without writing my own code to do so!

By the way, I was wondering if you had to pay the full IBM "list price" for these
packages.  I would like to have personal copies, but not at 5 - 6 times the price
of IBM C/C++, for example.  (If you can talk about this, but not in the newsgroup,
feel free to reply to my e-mail address.)
Thanks,
Colin Campbell

Quote:

> I have recently "upgraded" one of my PC systems from Windows 98 to Windows 2000
> Professional.

> Most of my old applications still work just fine, but there are two that no
> longer work and I was wondering if anyone has experience / suggestions that
> might help here.

> First SPF Pro from CTC. This is an ISPF look-alike for the PC. It's been
> discussed on this newsgroup various times in the past.

> Over the years I have purchased / upgraded to several versions:

>        SPF PC which is DOS based; it still runs under Windows 2000, but cannot
> handle long names

>        SPF Win which is Windows 3.x based; it runs, but for some reason will
> not always
>                 open directories that have members

>        SPF Pro which says "for Win-95 and Win-NT" on its installation diskette;
> when I try to get
>                 this running, I get the message

> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to
> terminate the application."

> My problem is that this is no longer the current version of the product. CTC
> have moved on to later versions, but these later versions do not support REXX,
> only C. So I would like to keep SPF Pro, but no support and no ideas (I've
> uninstalled and reinstalled several times). Any help would be appreciated.

> The other app I would like to keep is Ventura Publisher 4.1. This is also way
> down level (current version is 8.x, I think). But when VP was purchased by
> Corel they changed all the interfaces, forced you to change file naming
> conventions, and provided no reasonable migration path (I have hundreds of VP
> chapters written for my course materials). The strange thing is, VP worked
> under Windows 2000 at one point, then as I was updating drivers and adding
> Visual Age COBOL and PL/I, VP stopped working; I have tried uninstalling the VA
> products, but still no go; so it must be a driver, and I can't figure out how
> to find which driver is causing the problem.

> Of course, no one from the relevant companies cares (not Microsoft [although I
> have found tech support from them to be vastly improved], Corel, nor CTC).
> Since these are no longer supported products, there's no incentive for them to
> bother, and I understand that.

> Any suggestions appreciated, including suggestions for related newsgroups to
> try.

> Kind regards,

> Steve Comstock
> Telephone: 303-393-8716
> www.trainersfriend.com

> 256-B S. Monaco Parkway
> Denver, CO 80224
> USA

Thu, 13 May 2004 08:06:16 GMT
 SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000
Why not install a dual-boot system?  You can come up under Win98 when necessary and
default to Win2000 the rest of the time.
Quote:

> I have recently "upgraded" one of my PC systems from Windows 98 to Windows 2000
> Professional.

> Most of my old applications still work just fine, but there are two that no
> longer work and I was wondering if anyone has experience / suggestions that
> might help here.

> First SPF Pro from CTC. This is an ISPF look-alike for the PC. It's been
> discussed on this newsgroup various times in the past.

> Over the years I have purchased / upgraded to several versions:

>        SPF PC which is DOS based; it still runs under Windows 2000, but cannot
> handle long names

>        SPF Win which is Windows 3.x based; it runs, but for some reason will
> not always
>                 open directories that have members

>        SPF Pro which says "for Win-95 and Win-NT" on its installation diskette;
> when I try to get
>                 this running, I get the message

> "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc00000005). Click OK to
> terminate the application."

> My problem is that this is no longer the current version of the product. CTC
> have moved on to later versions, but these later versions do not support REXX,
> only C. So I would like to keep SPF Pro, but no support and no ideas (I've
> uninstalled and reinstalled several times). Any help would be appreciated.

> The other app I would like to keep is Ventura Publisher 4.1. This is also way
> down level (current version is 8.x, I think). But when VP was purchased by
> Corel they changed all the interfaces, forced you to change file naming
> conventions, and provided no reasonable migration path (I have hundreds of VP
> chapters written for my course materials). The strange thing is, VP worked
> under Windows 2000 at one point, then as I was updating drivers and adding
> Visual Age COBOL and PL/I, VP stopped working; I have tried uninstalling the VA
> products, but still no go; so it must be a driver, and I can't figure out how
> to find which driver is causing the problem.

> Of course, no one from the relevant companies cares (not Microsoft [although I
> have found tech support from them to be vastly improved], Corel, nor CTC).
> Since these are no longer supported products, there's no incentive for them to
> bother, and I understand that.

> Any suggestions appreciated, including suggestions for related newsgroups to
> try.

> Kind regards,

> Steve Comstock
> Telephone: 303-393-8716
> www.trainersfriend.com

> 256-B S. Monaco Parkway
> Denver, CO 80224
> USA

Fri, 14 May 2004 00:27:27 GMT

1. SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000

2. SPF Pro and Ventura Publisher on Windows 2000

3. SPF/PC or SPF/PRO with Windows NT and OREXX

4. Rb and Windows 2000 Pro

5. Problem windows 2000 pro

6. Problem with wheel mouse on Windows 2000 Pro

7. Does Flexlm Licensing Work on Windows 2000 Pro?

8. The Continuing Saga of Installing Modelsim software on Windows 2000 Pro

9. Interrupt 2E in windows 2000 pro SP1

10. Does Flexlm Licensing Work on Windows 2000 Pro?

11. The Continuing Saga of Installing Modelsim software on Windows 2000 Pro

12. QuickDDE, Word 2000 & Windows 2000