description/explanation of CICS macros
Author Message
 description/explanation of CICS macros

Hi
        Anyone knows where can I find description/explanation of CICS macros.
Newer versions of CICS do not support these macros. There are third
party tools also available to convert CICS macros to corresponding
CICS command But I want to know about these macros.
                Please guide me.

                                Thanks

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:15:56 GMT
 description/explanation of CICS macros

:>   Anyone knows where can I find description/explanation of CICS macros.
:>Newer versions of CICS do not support these macros. There are third
:>party tools also available to convert CICS macros to corresponding
:>CICS command But I want to know about these macros.

Look for CICS 2.1 manuals (I think).

Why do you want to know them?

--

http://www.dissensoftware.com

Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:26:51 GMT
 description/explanation of CICS macros
I am guessing that he has some contract to convert an older
CICS program into Command-level CICS.

Sat, 11 Jun 2005 10:42:04 GMT
 description/explanation of CICS macros

Quote:
> I am guessing that he has some contract to convert an older
> CICS program into Command-level CICS.

I remember back in the early 1980s we had a group leader who liked
macro level CICS and used it instead of command level.  Back then
we were told macro level was going away, but he still used marco.

Some years later we HAD to convert our remaining macro level code
to command level apparently because a new release of the operating
system that we needed no longer supported it.  This was a nuisance
expensive project.  However, it wasn't much of a problem since the
group leader who coded the stuff was now our director so no questions
were asked why the stuff was done wrong in the first place.

Another example I saw of "chickens coming home to roost" was when,
again in the 1980s, we had a consultant come in and develop a huge
system for us.  The consultant insisted on using their "Programmer's
Workbench", a set of utilities and shorthand aids to speed COBOL
CICS programming.  A lot of us thought it was a false economy and
this Workbench added unnecessary overhead to the system, but the
mgmt liked it.
  Well, when Y2K came around, it was learned that the Workbench
was not Y2K compatible.  Not only did it use routines that processed
source programs, but it had assembler routines that ran in execution
mode as well.  The assembler routines would not be compatible with
a new operating system release, which was needed for Y2k.  The whole
Workbench had to be stripped out, not only internally, but from all
applications that used it as well.  Very big expensive job.

  I can understand the desire of high mgmt to automate the programming
process to speed coding and testing.  But while some tools are very
helpful, some are miserable and actually slow down the effort, or
cause more expense down the road.

  I am sure the same thing is happening in the GUI world--there's
a million tools and techniques out there with very little
standardization.

Everybody forgets K I S S

Mon, 13 Jun 2005 03:14:37 GMT
 description/explanation of CICS macros

Quote:

> I remember back in the early 1980s we had a group leader who liked
> macro level CICS and used it instead of command level.  Back then
> we were told macro level was going away, but he still used marco.

You should have some of the erroneous and arbitrary calling conventions
I had the task of standardizing. It was the mid 70's, and the place was
running EDOS (pronounced: E DOS, with a sneer on the E) on a 360/65. A
3031 was in the door and we were bringing up VM with the intent to run
this new-fangled thing called MVS and EDOS simultaneously.

The most horrific task was converting and modifying sort E15 and E35
exits. Quite a few were completely tossed away when it was discovered
that SYNCSORT's OUTREC could do the same thing.

Quote:
> Some years later we HAD to convert our remaining macro level code
> to command level apparently because a new release of the operating
> system that we needed no longer supported it.  This was a nuisance
> expensive project.  However, it wasn't much of a problem since the
> group leader who coded the stuff was now our director so no questions
> were asked why the stuff was done wrong in the first place.

I always despised macro level coding for what it was. Some of the most
difficult program debugging on the planet. I rejoiced when command level
code and it's simplified API was introduced. Nearly 250,000 lines of
code were converted from macro to command.

Quote:
>   I can understand the desire of high mgmt to automate the programming
> process to speed coding and testing.  But while some tools are very
> helpful, some are miserable and actually slow down the effort, or
> cause more expense down the road.

Another prime example of management being sold a bill of goods. While
they may ask systems people what they thing of some whizbang thing or
another, they rarely take the input into consideration. Too many rounds
on the golf course with the sales person, I suspect.

Quote:
>   I am sure the same thing is happening in the GUI world--there's
> a million tools and techniques out there with very little
> standardization.

One of my favorite sig lines reads as: "The microsoft API has done more
to retard skill development than COBOL maintenance."

Mon, 13 Jun 2005 06:45:14 GMT

1. description/explanation of CICS macros

2. Explanation Needed for Nested Macro Definition

3. Macro-level CICS Registers?

4. BAL/BALR vs BAS/BASR in CICS macros

5. CICS MACRO LEVEL IN ASSEMBLER

6. CICS/PL1 Macro- to Cmd-lvl Conversion Consultants?

7. CICS Macro->Command

8. CICS/VSAM (Macro Level) for USA-NC

9. US-NE-CICS(MACRO)/ASSEMBLER P/A-CONT OR PERM

10. JOB - HOLLAND: A/P COBOL I, MACRO CICS

11. CICS MACRO LEVEL to COMMAND LEVEL

12. A macro involving two sub-macros - where the 2nd macro needs results from the first