Virtual ISPF Panels
Author Message
 Virtual ISPF Panels

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997 06:31:03 -0700, "Michael J. Cleary"

Quote:

> I would like to be able to write ISPF dialog manager applications that do
>not require panels to be in the ISPPLIB DD allocation.  I have been looking
>in the manuals, but it does not appear to be obvious.

>The main benefit for me would be that the development of ISPF dialog manager
>shareware would be simplified by removing the hassle of distributing and
>updating of panels as the shareware is modified.

>I have been told that TASID does this, but it is not clear how.

>I currently use DISPLAY, TBDISPL and SETMSG interfaces with real panels.

>Any ideas???

>Thanks in advance.

>Michael J. Cleary

For TASID, I wrote a small program that reads the panels and converts
them to a bunch of Assembler DC statements for a linked list of panel
elements.  Then I assemble that into a CSECT, and at run time, I
allocate a temp dataset, reconstitute the panels into the temp data
set and use LIBDEF on the data set for ISPPLIB (and ISPSLIB, ISPMLIB
as needed).

I never generalized the routines to do all this, I'd be happy to send
you the program that does the work on each side, but it is written in
PL/X and the assembler I'd send you may not make too much sense.

Just one more note, the subroutine that reconstitutes the panels is
declared in the main routine as an weak external, so that if it isn't
linked in, the regular existing panel libraries are used.

- Doug

By the way, there is a sample of doing this in REXX at the ISPF web
site http://www.*-*-*.com/

Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Virtual ISPF Panels

Quite simply you would use a dynamic area. You would ship 1 panel that
would never be modified because the basics for the panel exist in your
program. The drawback is that only the dynamic area of the screen can be
changed by your program. All other panel sections must be handled by your
program. For instance, you must verify the fields of the screen rather than
using ver in the )proc section.

Field attribute characters must be predefined in the panel. Since you are
using a program, you should use hex codes that you will never display
because a dynamic area contains your screen definition and you may want to
actually display that character rather than using that character as an
attribute.

Let's say you defined a dynamic area called ABC in your panel. Your program
would set the variable ABC to the information that would normally be used
in defining your panel. Since attribute characters are used in dynamic
area's, you would have variable names there and other such information. If
you must use zvars, don't forget to code an &VARNAME in the zvar statement
in )init.

Since the command line and title line are generally the same on every
screen, I leave these in the panel definition but they could easily be
included in the variable and the entire screen could be a dynamic area.

Don't forget to obtain the screen length and width. A dynamic area is 1
variable and if the screen width is 80, each 80 bytes in the var will be
one screen line. Since each terminal type has different screen lengths, you
will need to make sure about this.

Jon Perryman

Quote:
>  I would like to be able to write ISPF dialog manager applications that
do
> not require panels to be in the ISPPLIB DD allocation.  I have been
looking
> in the manuals, but it does not appear to be obvious.

> The main benefit for me would be that the development of ISPF dialog
manager
> shareware would be simplified by removing the hassle of distributing and
> updating of panels as the shareware is modified.

> I have been told that TASID does this, but it is not clear how.

> I currently use DISPLAY, TBDISPL and SETMSG interfaces with real panels.

> Any ideas???

> Thanks in advance.

> Michael J. Cleary

Thu, 10 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Documentation Tool for Customized ISPF Panels

2. PC-REXX ISPF Panels

3. STARTing ISPF panels using REXX

4. ISPF Table panels and the Model statement

5. DMS/ISPF panels

6. Can I use ActiveX to embed a front-panel inside another front-panel

7. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

8. Virtual Schooling a Virtual Reality?

9. virtual method call faster that non-virtual method?

10. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)

11. Virtual 8086 Mode/Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM)

12. Ask for automatic refresh of an TSO/ISPF panel...