need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me
Author Message
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me

Help,

I have a project due Tuesday, in assembly code.  I just need help.  I
thought I could do it myself but I cannot I have tried and tried all
week and weekend but to no avail.  Here is the project.
Read in 5 numbers from keyboard, change from ASCII to Binary then to
Hex.  I have got it to read the 5 numbers in but then I get lost from
there.  It is like I am missing some very important fundemental in
Assembly language.  Ohh this is for a dos system.

Any help would be and I would be extremely grateful. I have a yahoo chat
account if u would like to talk to me.

Thanks

Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me
No offense intended, but this sounds like a school excercise to me?
OK look below. While not doing your homework for you I hope on
giving you some guidelines to follow.

Quote:

> Help,

> I have a project due Tuesday, in assembly code.  I just need help.  I
> thought I could do it myself but I cannot I have tried and tried all
> week and weekend but to no avail.  Here is the project.
> Read in 5 numbers from keyboard, change from ASCII to Binary then to
> Hex.  I have got it to read the 5 numbers in but then I get lost from
> there.

First step is to convert the numbers from EBCDIC
(not ASCII in system/370!) to packed. Look up the PACK instruction
in your reference. (System/370 Principles of Operation)

Next step is to convert from packed to binary, the applicable instruction
is CVB.

And converting from binary to hex is a bit tricky, you will have to first
UNP(ac)K the binary number while taking special precautions for the
rightmost byte (include an extra guard byte!). Then you will have to
TR(anslate) the resulting field into readable hex format.

Quote:
>  It is like I am missing some very important fundemental in
> Assembly language.  Ohh this is for a dos system.

MVS or DOS doesn't matter in routines like this because you do not useany
services from the operating system.

Quote:

> Any help would be and I would be extremely grateful. I have a yahoo chat
> account if u would like to talk to me.

> Thanks

good luck
regards Sven

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me

:>No offense intended, but this sounds like a school excercise to me?
:>OK look below. While not doing your homework for you I hope on
:>giving you some guidelines to follow.

Fair enough.

:>> Help,
:>> I have a project due Tuesday, in assembly code.  I just need help.  I
:>> thought I could do it myself but I cannot I have tried and tried all
:>> week and weekend but to no avail.  Here is the project.

:>> Read in 5 numbers from keyboard,

Refer to ESA/390 Principles of Operation, Common I/O Device Commands and the
appropriate manuals for both your keyboard and control unit to understand how
to write channel programs for the keyboard device. You may get extra credit if
you use I/O interrupts rather than polling.

:>>                                  change from ASCII to Binary then to

Several approaches.

Sven suggests first converting to EBCDIC and then to binary.

You can also use a BXLE/BCTR loop through the ASCII number, multiplying the
current result by ten for each additional digit.

:>> Hex.  I have got it to read the 5 numbers in but then I get lost from
:>> there.

Impressive. You have coded a channel program to read five numbers from a
keyboard device but are stuck doing binary conversions?

:>First step is to convert the numbers from EBCDIC
:>(not ASCII in system/370!) to packed. Look up the PACK instruction
:>in your reference. (System/370 Principles of Operation)

:>Next step is to convert from packed to binary, the applicable instruction
:>is CVB.

:>And converting from binary to hex is a bit tricky, you will have to first
:>UNP(ac)K the binary number while taking special precautions for the
:>rightmost byte (include an extra guard byte!). Then you will have to
:>TR(anslate) the resulting field into readable hex format.

Pretty complete.

Of course, D Dwyer will have to write a channel program to output the results
on the keyboard device, but as he has already coded the read, this should not
be that difficult.

:>>  It is like I am missing some very important fundemental in
:>> Assembly language.  Ohh this is for a dos system.

:>MVS or DOS doesn't matter in routines like this because you do not useany
:>services from the operating system.

Then again, channel programs may not be required if DOS has a sequential
access method for the keyboard device.

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me
You guys are cruel (chuckle, snigger,...), This poor, wigged, guy probably hasn't
figured out what the HE double hockey sticks y'all are talking 'bout let alone
that this is a mainframe (as in large IBM iron) assembler group, not the intel
type ......
Quote:

> :>No offense intended, but this sounds like a school excercise to me?
> :>OK look below. While not doing your homework for you I hope on
> :>giving you some guidelines to follow.

> Fair enough.

> :>> Help,

> :>> I have a project due Tuesday, in assembly code.  I just need help.  I
> :>> thought I could do it myself but I cannot I have tried and tried all
> :>> week and weekend but to no avail.  Here is the project.

> :>> Read in 5 numbers from keyboard,

> Refer to ESA/390 Principles of Operation, Common I/O Device Commands and the
> appropriate manuals for both your keyboard and control unit to understand how
> to write channel programs for the keyboard device. You may get extra credit if
> you use I/O interrupts rather than polling.

> :>>                                  change from ASCII to Binary then to

> Several approaches.

> Sven suggests first converting to EBCDIC and then to binary.

> You can also use a BXLE/BCTR loop through the ASCII number, multiplying the
> current result by ten for each additional digit.

> :>> Hex.  I have got it to read the 5 numbers in but then I get lost from
> :>> there.

> Impressive. You have coded a channel program to read five numbers from a
> keyboard device but are stuck doing binary conversions?

> :>First step is to convert the numbers from EBCDIC
> :>(not ASCII in system/370!) to packed. Look up the PACK instruction
> :>in your reference. (System/370 Principles of Operation)

> :>Next step is to convert from packed to binary, the applicable instruction
> :>is CVB.

> :>And converting from binary to hex is a bit tricky, you will have to first
> :>UNP(ac)K the binary number while taking special precautions for the
> :>rightmost byte (include an extra guard byte!). Then you will have to
> :>TR(anslate) the resulting field into readable hex format.

> Pretty complete.

> Of course, D Dwyer will have to write a channel program to output the results
> on the keyboard device, but as he has already coded the read, this should not
> be that difficult.

> :>>  It is like I am missing some very important fundemental in
> :>> Assembly language.  Ohh this is for a dos system.

> :>MVS or DOS doesn't matter in routines like this because you do not useany
> :>services from the operating system.

> Then again, channel programs may not be required if DOS has a sequential
> access method for the keyboard device.

> --

> Director, Dissen Software, Bar & Grill - Israel

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me

Quote:
>You guys are cruel (chuckle, snigger,...), This poor, wigged, guy probably hasn't
>probably hasn'tfigured out what the HE double hockey sticks y'all are talking 'bout let alone
>talking 'bout let alonethat this is a mainframe (as in large IBM iron) assembler group, not the intel
>assembler group, not the inteltype ......

But SOP in this group.  :-)

We routinely treat interlopers this way.  People who don't read the newsgroup
descriptions.  Someone once asked for a sample assembler program for an
assignment, and the way it was written you could tell it was someone looking
for an Intel answer.

So I gave him

EXAMPLE  CSECT
         BR    R15
         END   EXAMPLE

(You're not the Chris Franklin who went to Los Angeles Valley College in the
early 1980's are you?)

Later,
Ray

--
M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,

Fri, 16 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 need Mentor/Tutor -Please Help me
Whew this is a tough crowd. I am taking an 370 assembly language course and
we have dos package by micro focus which enables someone to learn 370
assembly on a Intel PC.
I thiink you guys should set up a auto-email-responder with the Suicide
Prevention Hotlines number in the text, for your guests.
<crickets>
Whewie, like I said a tough crowd.
:))
Quote:

>>You guys are cruel (chuckle, snigger,...), This poor, wigged, guy probably
hasn't
>>probably hasn'tfigured out what the HE double hockey sticks y'all

are talking 'bout let alone
Quote:
>>talking 'bout let alonethat this is a mainframe (as in large IBM

iron) assembler group, not the intel
Quote:
>>assembler group, not the inteltype ......

>But SOP in this group.  :-)

>We routinely treat interlopers this way.  People who don't read the
newsgroup
>descriptions.  Someone once asked for a sample assembler program for an
>assignment, and the way it was written you could tell it was someone
looking
>for an Intel answer.

>So I gave him

>EXAMPLE  CSECT
>         BR    R15
>         END   EXAMPLE

>(You're not the Chris Franklin who went to Los Angeles Valley College in
the
>early 1980's are you?)

>Later,
>Ray

>--
>M. Ray Mullins (http://www.lerctr.org/~mrm/) from Roseville, California
>California Transit Publications - your one stop shop for transit marketing,
>publications, planning and web services at http://www.catransit.com/
TIPs:
>http://socaltip.lerctr.org http://norcaltip.lerctr.org

http://cencaltip.lerctr.org

Sat, 17 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please read COBOL tutor needed

2. Need Tutoring/Help for someone in Orange County Area

3. Need HELP on Mentor Graphics VHDL compiler

4. Help needed on how to simulate vhdl codes using Mentor graphics

5. please, please, please, please, help

7. Please Help - NetTools Help File needed

8. Help !!!, Need a Clarion RDD, Please help

9. i need help to modify my cobol program can someone help soon please

10. COBOL HELP NEEDED, PLEASE HELP ME!

11. Synopsys -> Mentor, from comp.sys.mentor

12. Please, please, please. i need fortran