TSO TRANSMIT format?
Author Message
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?

Sun, 04 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

> Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
> I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
> CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?

I've never had trouble XMITing data between TSO and CMS, as long as I don't
specify PDS when I send it from TSO.

I can't recall the name of the manual I saw the details in, but I do recall
that the first record in the XMITted datastream has the name of the utility
that was used to generate the following data, eg. IEBCOPY.

Sun, 04 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
>I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
>CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?

The best doc on the user interface (in my opinion) is obtained with the TSO command:

HELP TRANSMIT (and the corresponding: HELP RECEIVE).

The only detail that I know of when sending files from MVS to VM, and which is not too
clearly documented, is that you must specify SEQ as one of the TRANSMIT parameters
when you send a PDS member (and you can only TRANSMIT single sequential files).

If you really need to 'dig down' into the internal format of the transmitted files then you
should look up the documentation on NJE formats. (TRANSMIT/RECEIVE uses NJE)

Hope this helps

regards Sven

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>> Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
>> I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
>> CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?
>I've never had trouble XMITing data between TSO and CMS, as long as I don't
>specify PDS when I send it from TSO.

I shouldn't have mentioned NETDATA as I don't have access to CMS either,
it was just something I remembered from when I did.  And these TRANSMIT
files are PDSes (would they be in "IEBCOPY unload" format inside a
TRANSMIT envelope??)

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

: >> Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
: >> I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
: >> CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?

: >I've never had trouble XMITing data between TSO and CMS, as long as I don't
: >specify PDS when I send it from TSO.

: I shouldn't have mentioned NETDATA as I don't have access to CMS either,
: it was just something I remembered from when I did.  And these TRANSMIT
: files are PDSes (would they be in "IEBCOPY unload" format inside a
: TRANSMIT envelope??)

The text units for INMR format are documented in SYS1.MACLIB(INMTEXTU).
--
| Edward E. Jaffe                | Voice:       (310) 338-0400 x318    |
| Mgr, Research & Development    | Facsimile:   (310) 338-0801         |

| 9841 Airport Blvd, Suite 700   | IBM Mail:    USS24J24 at IBMMAIL    |
| Los Angeles, CA 90045          | Phoenix BBS: Edjaffe (310) 417-8085 |

Mon, 05 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>>Does anyone know where I can find a description of TSO TRANSMIT format?
>>I have a whole load of datasets in this format.  Is it the same as
>>CMS NETDATA format or is that something different?

>The best doc on the user interface (in my opinion) is obtained with the TSO command:

>HELP TRANSMIT (and the corresponding: HELP RECEIVE).

>The only detail that I know of when sending files from MVS to VM, and which is not too
>clearly documented, is that you must specify SEQ as one of the TRANSMIT parameters
>when you send a PDS member (and you can only TRANSMIT single sequential files).

>If you really need to 'dig down' into the internal format of the transmitted files then you
>should look up the documentation on NJE formats. (TRANSMIT/RECEIVE uses NJE)

>Hope this helps

>regards Sven

    It has been awhile but the TSO command reference should supply the
syntax or the help command.  From the way you stated your question it
sounds like you have existing data sets, not files on the spool to be
received, if this is so there is an operand on the tso receive command that
allows you to point to the data set instead of looking at the spool and
will restore the dsn to it's original format.  As for the fromat if I
remember correctley it is NETDATA.

    Larry

Tue, 06 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>The best doc on the user interface (in my opinion) is obtained with the TSO
command:
>HELP TRANSMIT (and the corresponding: HELP RECEIVE).

Sorry I was looking for the data format, not the format of
the TSO command.  Specifically, NETDATA and IEBCOPY UNLOAD formats.

Thu, 08 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

> writes:
> >The best doc on the user interface (in my opinion) is obtained with the TSO
> command:
> >HELP TRANSMIT (and the corresponding: HELP RECEIVE).

> Sorry I was looking for the data format, not the format of
> the TSO command.  Specifically, NETDATA and IEBCOPY UNLOAD formats.

I would have thought you can transmit/receive any standard format... does
it actually matter?  The only difference I can recall is when sending a
PDS.

Perhaps it should be explained to me...

Charles

Sat, 10 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>> writes:
>> >The best doc on the user interface (in my opinion) is obtained with the TSO
>> command:
>> >HELP TRANSMIT (and the corresponding: HELP RECEIVE).

 . . . .

Quote:
>I would have thought you can transmit/receive any standard format... does
>it actually matter?  The only difference I can recall is when sending a
>PDS.
>Perhaps it should be explained to me...
>Charles

You can, but when sending data sets to VM (CMS) you must restrict yourself to
sending only single sequential datasets. This means that when the source dataset
is a PDS you must:
1) send only a single member with each request
2) Include the SEQ parameter in the XMIT command

(I never worried about the internals of this function myself, the only thing I ever
had to know is that XMIT/RECEIVE uses NJE)

regards Sven

Mon, 12 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

writes:

Quote:

> writes:

> Pran)
> TSO
> >> command:

>  . . . .
> >I would have thought you can transmit/receive any standard format... does
> >it actually matter?  The only difference I can recall is when sending a
> >PDS.

> >Perhaps it should be explained to me...

> >Charles

> You can, but when sending data sets to VM (CMS) you must restrict yourself to
> sending only single sequential datasets. This means that when the source
> dataset
> is a PDS you must:
> 1) send only a single member with each request
> 2) Include the SEQ parameter in the XMIT command

> (I never worried about the internals of this function myself, the only thing I
> ever
> had to know is that XMIT/RECEIVE uses NJE)

> regards Sven

Thanks, Sven.  Yes, I forgot about the CMS angle.
I've also forgotten who the original poster was...
...senility is setting in...
I still don't understand what his problem was.

Charles

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

>I've also forgotten who the original poster was...
>...senility is setting in...
>I still don't understand what his problem was.

The problem was I was looking for the format of the datastream
generated by TRANSMIT, not the format of the datasets which TRANSMIT
can send, nor the command-line syntax of the command.  According
to various helpful people the format is described in the TSO exits
manual and in DMSDDL ASSEMBLE on CMS.

Still haven't found where the IEBCOPY unloaded PDS format is
described though.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

writes:

Quote:

> writes:
> >I've also forgotten who the original poster was...
> >...senility is setting in...
> >I still don't understand what his problem was.

> The problem was I was looking for the format of the datastream
> generated by TRANSMIT, not the format of the datasets which TRANSMIT
> can send, nor the command-line syntax of the command.  According
> to various helpful people the format is described in the TSO exits
> manual and in DMSDDL ASSEMBLE on CMS.

> Still haven't found where the IEBCOPY unloaded PDS format is
> described though.

OK  Goo luck.  At least you've got a proper computer to play with by
the sound of it instead of the HP9000 Unix rubbish I've got here.

Charles

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:

> Still haven't found where the IEBCOPY unloaded PDS format is
> described though.

Look in an MVS utilites manual, eg. SC26-4559-1. You shouldn't need
the latest and greatest on this. An old copy should serve, although
you might have to page past the IEBISAM unload format if you use
a really old one.:-)

The IEBCOPY unload format is described in appendix B of the manual above.

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?
An unknown person (sorry, I seem to have lost the original message)
writes:
Quote:
>> TSO

which is all well and good provided one does have current access to
a system running TSO, but if one does not ....

Could some kind soul briefly summarize the purpose/function of the
TRANSMIT command?  I've been away from the MVS world for some years,
but I don't remember a command like this.  It sounds like something
used to transfer files to/from some other operating system??

Thanks in advance ....

--
Berna Massingill

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 TSO TRANSMIT format?

Quote:
>An unknown person (sorry, I seem to have lost the original message)
>>> TSO

>which is all well and good provided one does have current access to
>a system running TSO, but if one does not ....

And I do (though I know precious little about it).

Quote:
>Could some kind soul briefly summarize the purpose/function of the
>TRANSMIT command?

According to the aforementioned HELP TRANSMIT  command:

          The TSO/E Interactive Data Transmission Facility TRANSMIT
          command allows you to send data sets or messages to persons
          on other MVS systems via Network Job Entry or directly to
          persons on your own system.

Then there's a bunch about what sorts of datasets are supported,
etc.

Quote:
>It sounds like something
>used to transfer files to/from some other operating system??

Looks that way.

Michael Wojcik
AAI Development, Micro Focus Inc.
Department of English, Miami University

Sun, 18 Jan 1998 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 20 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Format of a TSO XMIT format dataset

2. Transmitting Load library by FTP

3. Transmit a file name to a CW application

4. GPIB transmit(T,status)

5. I would like to use a datasocket server to transmit

6. sysexecute without transmitting signals

7. How to wrting transmit gate

8. problem in transmitting packet size > 128 bytes

9. Problem: Receive.asm Transmit.asm

10. transmit variable question

11. Powerful method for transmitting keystrokes

12. Transmit data through RS232