Assembly Problem Solved
Author Message
 Assembly Problem Solved

The problem I was having with tape block sizes has been solved.  Thanks to
those of you who responded, especially Dwayne Blumenberg.

The problem, to be more specific was that I was trying to define a file
with a blocksize of 19600.  The system wouldn't allow this, so I changed
the blocking on the tape down to 1568 (reclen is 196).  This worked great
until I defined a few more storage areas to manipulate data, suddenly
I was getting Addressability Errors (just like before I lowered the
block size).  To fix the problem, I have moved the IO buffer areas to the
very bottom of the program, past all of the variables, and I added an LTORG
statement.  Now, I'm back up to a block size of 19600 again, and the
program is working great, although I'm not quite sure what was so magical
about moving the buffers and adding the extra statement.

Another question I'll ask is - how are registers to be addressed?  I've
seen them coded as R1, REG1, and just plain 1 - is there any standard, or
is it merely up to the programmer for readability?

Thanks -

Tue, 14 Dec 1993 07:13:47 GMT
[...]

Quote:

>Another question I'll ask is - how are registers to be addressed?  I've
>seen them coded as R1, REG1, and just plain 1 - is there any standard, or
>is it merely up to the programmer for readability?

There is really no hard and fast "standard" regarding this, but there does
seem to be one particular way in which a significant number of people refer
to registers in BAL programs (IBM for one).  The R1-R15 designation seems
to be the most prevalent.  Certainly it the one I've seen used the most, and
the one which I have always used.

Tim Tierney

Wed, 15 Dec 1993 04:53:12 GMT
 Assembly Problem Solved

Quote:

>Another question I'll ask is - how are registers to be addressed?  I've
>seen them coded as R1, REG1, and just plain 1 - is there any standard, or
>is it merely up to the programmer for readability?

There is really no hard and fast "standard" regarding this, but there does
seem to be one particular way in which a significant number of people refer
to registers in BAL programs (IBM for one).  The R1-R15 designation seems
to be the most prevalent.  Certainly it the one I've seen used the most, and
the one which I have always used.

Tim Tierney

Wed, 15 Dec 1993 04:53:12 GMT

1. problem porting assembly codes from ms inline assembly to linux (gnu - AT&T syntax)

2. 32bit problem - one problem solved & another found

3. REXX DLL problems solved (was Re: Problems getting C subcommand to work)

4. VRML EAI problems: Java3d solves many portabilty problems of VRML

5. Problems solving a problem with lists

6. Stack overflow problem but increasing stack size does not solve the problem

7. Difficult problem to solve: Tcl 7.3 to Tcl 8.0p2 Array of Array Problem

8. problem solved for C and Tcl7.5 compilation problems

9. I have solved/will solve AI!

10. Apple solves ALL problems! (was: Re: Apple Solves the Halting Problem!)

11. J2/Win ISI font problem solved

12. WIll Unicode solve char set problem?