BNF for 370/390 assembler ?
Author Message
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

(Posted for a colleague without USENET access. Please reply to

Does anyone know where I can find a BNF for 370/390 asembler, please?
In a book, a magazine, BBS, www or the back of a cigarette packet will
do!

Thanks in advance

Jem Cooper
Software Migrations Ltd.,
Unit 1C, Mountjoy Research Centre,
Durham DH1 3SW
UK.

Fri, 10 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> (Posted for a colleague without USENET access. Please reply to

> Does anyone know where I can find a BNF for 370/390 asembler, please?
> In a book, a magazine, BBS, www or the back of a cigarette packet will
> do!

What means this:  "BNF"??

      -jc-

Fri, 10 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> > (Posted for a colleague without USENET access. Please reply to

> > Does anyone know where I can find a BNF for 370/390 asembler, please?
> > In a book, a magazine, BBS, www or the back of a cigarette packet will
> > do!

> What means this:  "BNF"??

Baccus (sp? - pronounced BACK-us) Nauer Format.

Example:

symbol ::= identifier
identifier ::= <alphameric character string>

The "::=" (colon-colon-equals) means "Is to be defined as"

Back to the original post....

To what are you refering? The SYNTAX of S/390 assembler,
or the grammer/semantics?

Fri, 10 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> What means this:  "BNF"??

Backus Naur Form, a method to describe the syntax of programming languages
used for the first time to describe the syntax of Algol 60.

Simple example:
<register> , <register>
<opcode> ::= LR | LTR | SR .......
<register> ::= <register name> | 0 | 1 | 2 | ... | 15
can describe:
ABC  LR 1, 2
         LTR R3, R4

Kurt

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> > What means this:  "BNF"??
> Backus Naur Form, a method to describe the syntax of programming languages
> used for the first time to describe the syntax of Algol 60.

> Simple example:
> <register> , <register>
> <opcode> ::= LR | LTR | SR .......
> <register> ::= <register name> | 0 | 1 | 2 | ... | 15
> can describe:
> ABC  LR 1, 2
>          LTR R3, R4

Hmmm...  I haven't seen one like that for S370/S390 Assembler, but an
ambitious person could probably write one from the S/390 Principles of
Operation manual.  The entire instruction set is described in rather
painful detail therein.  :-)

      -jc-

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> Hmmm...  I haven't seen one like that for S370/S390 Assembler, but an
> ambitious person could probably write one from the S/390 Principles of
> Operation manual.  The entire instruction set is described in rather
> painful detail therein.  :-)

The BNF grammar could be written a) from the Assembler manual if You should
decsribe
exactlly how the IBM/Assembler should translate into machine code or
b) from the POP if You should write some other Assembler with different
characteristics.
To include all system macros and their behavoiur in the BNF grammar could
be a lot of work.

Kurt

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

> > > What means this:  "BNF"??
> > Backus Naur Form, a method to describe the syntax of programming languages
> > used for the first time to describe the syntax of Algol 60.

> > Simple example:
> > <register> , <register>
> > <opcode> ::= LR | LTR | SR .......
> > <register> ::= <register name> | 0 | 1 | 2 | ... | 15
> > can describe:
> > ABC  LR 1, 2
> >          LTR R3, R4

> Hmmm...  I haven't seen one like that for S370/S390 Assembler, but an
> ambitious person could probably write one from the S/390 Principles of
> Operation manual.  The entire instruction set is described in rather
> painful detail therein.  :-)

>       -jc-

I believe there used to be such a manual from IBM
before assembler H came out.
Obviously it would be fairly out of date instruction wise,
but the syntax remains essentially the same.
I think it was supposed to tell people how to write macros.
For all I know it might still be available.
I couldn't make any sense of it............

Sat, 11 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 BNF for 370/390 assembler ?

Quote:

>  > (Posted for a colleague without USENET access. Please reply to

>  > Does anyone know where I can find a BNF for 370/390 asembler, please?
>  > In a book, a magazine, BBS, www or the back of a cigarette packet will
>  > do!

>  What means this:  "BNF"??

Backus Naur Form (spelling?), a formal specification for grammars.

Sun, 12 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Palm Pilot app for Assembler 370/390 programemrs

2. Definitive 370/390 assembler book?

3. 370/390 ASSEMBLER Compiler/linkage for PC Platform

4. Z/90, S/390, 370/ESA (slightly off topic)

5. Book for 370/390 Assembly

6. COBOL/370 to COBOL/390

7. VS FORTRAN 2.6 on OS/390, LE/370

8. Help Application Development in IBM 390 Assemblers.

9. S/390 assembler instruction reference

10. AS/400 Assembler like S/360-390

11. Position available: s/390 Assembler prog/analyst

12. New addresssing method in S/390 assembler