Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
Author Message
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server

I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
embedded Word object.
"Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server may
not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine with
Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other programs
(Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on other
machines without a problem except as noted below.

Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

- Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
- Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
- Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

IC

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 09:23:14 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
i had the same problem at a site we installed into. I could not figure it
out and in the end just removed office 2k and put office97 in.

i was wondering what would happen if you installed works onto the computer
thats not working

regards,
Richard

Quote:
> I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> embedded Word object.
> "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
may
> not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine with
> Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
programs
> (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on other
> machines without a problem except as noted below.

> Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> --
> IC

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 11:27:54 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
So, when you reinstalled O97, the problem went away.  Right?

Regarding installing Works, I don't believe that would help.  In fact, in
might be more of a problem.  Apparently there is a conflict between Works
and Word as it relates to OLE access and removing the Word component of
Works eliminates the problem.

--
IC

Quote:
> i had the same problem at a site we installed into. I could not figure it
> out and in the end just removed office 2k and put office97 in.

> i was wondering what would happen if you installed works onto the computer
> thats not working

> regards,
> Richard

> > I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> > embedded Word object.
> > "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
> may
> > not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> > I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine
with
> > Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
> programs
> > (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on
other
> > machines without a problem except as noted below.

> > Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> > - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> > - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> > - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> > I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> > installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> > problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> > --
> > IC

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:35:32 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
You might want to try opening your Access application, opening a code
module, and clicking Tools - References.
Make sure you include a reference to MS Word.10 object library, and remove
the reference to MSWord.9 object library if it's there.

HTH
    - Turtle

Quote:
> I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> embedded Word object.
> "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
may
> not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine with
> Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
programs
> (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on other
> machines without a problem except as noted below.

> Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> --
> IC

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:19:48 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
I am sure Turtle meant including MSWord.9 Object Library and removing
MSWord.8 Object Library if it (version 8) is in the References Collection.

--
HTH
Van T. Dinh

Quote:
> You might want to try opening your Access application, opening a code
> module, and clicking Tools - References.
> Make sure you include a reference to MS Word.10 object library, and remove
> the reference to MSWord.9 object library if it's there.

> HTH
>     - Turtle

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 21:52:58 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server

Quote:

>You might want to try opening your Access application, opening a code
>module, and clicking Tools - References.
>Make sure you include a reference to MS Word.10 object library, and remove
>the reference to MSWord.9 object library if it's there.

If your target systems have different versions of Word installed then
you'll want to use late binding.

Late binding means you can safely remove the reference and only have
an error when the app executes lines of code in question.  Rather than
erroring out while starting up the app and not allowing the users in
the app at all.  Or when hitting a mid, left or trim function call.
While this might be slightly slower when resolving the reference I
find this to be quite acceptable.  Also you would likely set the
reference once at the start of some kind of "batch run" and close it
when done so the performance hit would be negligible.

If you are using Excel and Word constants, which are much easier to
use (and understand of course) than values.then copy/define the
constants into Access. Just use Access syntax in Access to define the
constants in a global module!  (paragraph by Chris Mills)

You'll want to install the reference if you are programming or
debugging and want to use the object intellisense stuff.   Then once
its running smoothly remove the reference and setup the late binding
statements.

Sample code:
' Declare an object variable to hold the object
' reference. Dim as Object causes late binding.
Dim objWordDoc As Object
Set objWordDoc = CreateObject(" Word.Document")

For much more detailed information visit the following links:

OFF2000: Microsoft Office 2000 Automation Help File Available
[Q260410] at the Knowledge Base at support.microsoft.com has some
examples on early/late binding.

INFO: Writing Automation Clients for Multiple Office Versions
(Q244167)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q244167

INFO: Using Early Binding and Late Binding in Automation (Q245115)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q245115

MSDN: Early and Late Binding
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/offi...

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
read the entire thread of messages.

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 06:19:48 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
Actually both (8 & 9) are there, but only 9 is checked.  One thought was to
put Word97 back on the machine (and leave Word 2K) in case there is a
compatibility problem between Access97 and Word 2K.

As mentioned, I ran into this problem on another machine, but was finally
able to find a fix.  One difference between this machine and the other is
that this machine has NAV 2002 and the other had 2001.  NAV is known to
create these types of problems.  BUT, I did remove NAV from the start-up
group and rebooted.  That did not make a difference.  But some have said
that NAV may still continue to operate in the background.

Any thoughts on these ideas?

In any event, Tony's suggestion of late binding might be the next stop.

IC

Quote:
> I am sure Turtle meant including MSWord.9 Object Library and removing
> MSWord.8 Object Library if it (version 8) is in the References Collection.

> --
> HTH
> Van T. Dinh
> MVP (Access)

> > You might want to try opening your Access application, opening a code
> > module, and clicking Tools - References.
> > Make sure you include a reference to MS Word.10 object library, and
remove
> > the reference to MSWord.9 object library if it's there.

> > HTH
> >     - Turtle

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 07:45:34 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
I think NAV is probably the cause of the problem. Removing it from the
startup group won't help, because as I understand it the problem is a
registry entry that NAV creates when installed. This problem has been known
for a while, so one would *hope* that Symantec would have come up with a fix
for it by now - might be worth checking their web site.

--
Brendan Reynolds (MVP)

Access 2000/2002 sample app at
http://brenreyn.brinkster.net
----------------------------

Quote:
> Actually both (8 & 9) are there, but only 9 is checked.  One thought was
> put Word97 back on the machine (and leave Word 2K) in case there is a
> compatibility problem between Access97 and Word 2K.

> As mentioned, I ran into this problem on another machine, but was finally
> able to find a fix.  One difference between this machine and the other is
> that this machine has NAV 2002 and the other had 2001.  NAV is known to
> create these types of problems.  BUT, I did remove NAV from the start-up
> group and rebooted.  That did not make a difference.  But some have said
> that NAV may still continue to operate in the background.

> Any thoughts on these ideas?

> In any event, Tony's suggestion of late binding might be the next stop.

> IC

message

> > I am sure Turtle meant including MSWord.9 Object Library and removing
> > MSWord.8 Object Library if it (version 8) is in the References
Collection.

> > --
> > HTH
> > Van T. Dinh
> > MVP (Access)

> > > You might want to try opening your Access application, opening a code
> > > module, and clicking Tools - References.
> > > Make sure you include a reference to MS Word.10 object library, and
> remove
> > > the reference to MSWord.9 object library if it's there.

> > > HTH
> > >     - Turtle

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 20:20:18 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
I do plan on removing it.  By the way, I had the Symantec bulletin when I
was trying to solve the problem and I applied the fixes they suggested.
Maybe complete removal will do the trick.

Thanks.

--
IC

Quote:
> I think NAV is probably the cause of the problem. Removing it from the
> startup group won't help, because as I understand it the problem is a
> registry entry that NAV creates when installed. This problem has been
known
> for a while, so one would *hope* that Symantec would have come up with a
fix
> for it by now - might be worth checking their web site.

> --
> Brendan Reynolds (MVP)

> Access 2000/2002 sample app at
> http://brenreyn.brinkster.net
> ----------------------------

> > Actually both (8 & 9) are there, but only 9 is checked.  One thought was
> > put Word97 back on the machine (and leave Word 2K) in case there is a
> > compatibility problem between Access97 and Word 2K.

> > As mentioned, I ran into this problem on another machine, but was
finally
> > able to find a fix.  One difference between this machine and the other
is
> > that this machine has NAV 2002 and the other had 2001.  NAV is known to
> > create these types of problems.  BUT, I did remove NAV from the start-up
> > group and rebooted.  That did not make a difference.  But some have said
> > that NAV may still continue to operate in the background.

> > Any thoughts on these ideas?

> > In any event, Tony's suggestion of late binding might be the next stop.

> > IC

> message

> > > I am sure Turtle meant including MSWord.9 Object Library and removing
> > > MSWord.8 Object Library if it (version 8) is in the References
> Collection.

> > > --
> > > HTH
> > > Van T. Dinh
> > > MVP (Access)

> > remove

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 22:53:30 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
Do you also have Norton installed? The "Office Plug-in" option is known to
create this type of problem. In Norton go to the "Options" and the "Office
Plug-in" options should be located in the Miscellaneous section.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
benefit. Personal requests for assistance can not be acknowledged.

Quote:
> I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> embedded Word object.
> "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
may
> not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine
with
> Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
programs
> (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on other
> machines without a problem except as noted below.

> Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> --
> IC

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 23:11:09 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
Beth,

I do have Norton (see prior thread discussions) and I have applied the
Office Plug In fix as well as the disable script fix.  I even disabled NAV
in the start-up so it did not run.  None of the NAV fixes worked.  My next
move is to uninstall NAV completely.  By the way, when I had this problem at
another location, you gave me several tips (Works, Normal.dot, NAV) to solve
that problem.  Your suggestions worked there, but I'm not having much luck
at this location.

--
IC

Quote:
> Do you also have Norton installed? The "Office Plug-in" option is known to
> create this type of problem. In Norton go to the "Options" and the "Office
> Plug-in" options should be located in the Miscellaneous section.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Beth Melton
> Microsoft Office MVP

> Please post replies/further questions to the newsgroup so that all may
> benefit. Personal requests for assistance can not be acknowledged.

> > I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> > embedded Word object.
> > "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
> may
> > not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> > I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine
> with
> > Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
> programs
> > (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on
other
> > machines without a problem except as noted below.

> > Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> > - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> > - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> > - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> > I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> > installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> > problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> > --
> > IC

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 00:43:34 GMT
 Access Can Not Communicate With Word OLE Server
Thanks to everyone for the tips.  PROBLEM SOLVED!  The culprit, Norton
antivirus 2002 and script blocking!

As I mentioned in the posting below, I had run into this problem once
before.  In this instance I thought I had eliminated the NAV problem because
I did a clean boot and the problem was still present.  Well apparently NAV
must be running in the background even though it is not loaded in the
startup.  I also had previously disabled NAV from scanning Word, BUT I
apparently had not deactivated script blocking.

Thanks again to all for the suggestions.

--
IC

Quote:
> I am getting the attached message when I run an Access report with an
> embedded Word object.
> "Microsoft Access can't communicate with the OLE server. The OLE server
may
> not be registered. To register the OLE server reinstall it."

> I am running Access 97 and Office 2K (without Access 2K) on a machine with
> Windows ME.  I can set up an OLE link between Access and most other
programs
> (Excel, Adobe), but for some reason not Word.  This program runs on other
> machines without a problem except as noted below.

> Here's what I have done so far with no luck:

> - Uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2K and Access 97
> - Renamed Word Normal.dot to Normal.bak after reinstalling Office 2K
> - Disabled Norton Antivirus script protection and from monitoring Word

> I encountered the same problem on another machine that had MS Works
> installed.  After uninstalling Works and making the fixes above, that
> problem was solved.  This machine does not have Works.

> --
> IC

Thu, 06 Jan 2005 08:25:15 GMT

1. Problem communicating with OLE server

2. problem communicating with OLE server?

3. problem communicating w/the OLE Server?

4. OLE Automation Error Experienced with Word 7.0 not with Word 6.0

5. OLE Automation Error Experienced with Word 7.0 not with Word 6.0

6. OLE Automation Error experienced with Word 7.0 not with Word 6.0

11. Word as OLE-Server

12. automating Word - OLE error - server threw an exception