restricting values of integers in code
Author Message
 restricting values of integers in code

I received code from someone at this site which involves
generating six digit numbers and attaching labels to each,
and inserting them in a table.  The problem that I have, is
that as the code adds 2 to 9, it returns 11 which increases
the number of digits of my code.  I need to restrict the
output to values from 0 to 9.  If the number is 9, then it
adds 2 and outputs 1; and 8+2=0.  I've attached the code I
am working with, can someone please help?!?

Public Function Set4(suffix, seed)
Dim MyArray(4, 4)
Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
Dim a, b, c, d As Integer
Dim start As Integer
Dim sequence As Integer
'set up possible values to be used in the revolve
For a = 1 To 4
start = Val(Mid(seed, 2 + a, 1))
For b = 1 To 4
MyArray(a, b) = start + 2
start = start + 2
Next b
Next a
sequence = 0
rs.Open "CodeTable", CurrentProject.Connection,
adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
'generate the codes and slap them into the table
For d = 1 To 4
For c = 1 To 4
For b = 1 To 4
For a = 1 To 4
    sequence = sequence + 1
    With rs
        .AddNew
        !CodeFiledName = suffix & Format(sequence, "000")
        !Code = Left(seed, 2) & MyArray(1, a) & MyArray(2,
b) & MyArray(3, c) & MyArray(4, d)
        .Update
    End With
Next a
Next b
Next c
Next d
End Function

.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:24:09 GMT
 restricting values of integers in code
Use the Mod operator in the proper place.

  11 mod 10 = 1
  21 mod 10 = 1
  30 Mod 10 = 0

So probably:

!Code = Left(seed, 2) & MyArray(1, a) Mod 10 &
MyArray(2,b) Mod 10 & MyArray(3, c) Mod 10 & MyArray(4, d) Mod 10

OR you could probably use the right function since you are treating this as a
string

!Code = Left(seed, 2) & Right(MyArray(1, a),1) &
       Right(MyArray(2,b),1) & Right(MyArray(3, c),1) &
       Right(MyArray(4, d),1)

Quote:

> I received code from someone at this site which involves
> generating six digit numbers and attaching labels to each,
> and inserting them in a table.  The problem that I have, is
> that as the code adds 2 to 9, it returns 11 which increases
> the number of digits of my code.  I need to restrict the
> output to values from 0 to 9.  If the number is 9, then it
> adds 2 and outputs 1; and 8+2=0.  I've attached the code I
> am working with, can someone please help?!?

> Public Function Set4(suffix, seed)
> Dim MyArray(4, 4)
> Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset
> Dim a, b, c, d As Integer
> Dim start As Integer
> Dim sequence As Integer
> 'set up possible values to be used in the revolve
> For a = 1 To 4
> start = Val(Mid(seed, 2 + a, 1))
> For b = 1 To 4
> MyArray(a, b) = start + 2
> start = start + 2
> Next b
> Next a
> sequence = 0
> rs.Open "CodeTable", CurrentProject.Connection,
> adOpenKeyset, adLockOptimistic
> 'generate the codes and slap them into the table
> For d = 1 To 4
> For c = 1 To 4
> For b = 1 To 4
> For a = 1 To 4
>     sequence = sequence + 1
>     With rs
>         .AddNew
>         !CodeFiledName = suffix & Format(sequence, "000")
>         !Code = Left(seed, 2) & MyArray(1, a) & MyArray(2,
> b) & MyArray(3, c) & MyArray(4, d)
>         .Update
>     End With
> Next a
> Next b
> Next c
> Next d
> End Function

> .

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:46:06 GMT
 restricting values of integers in code
Thanks.  The Right Function works for this procedure.
However, do you know of any other way to restrict the
values? I have to make another procedure that only uses
values 0 through 5. If you can think of anything, please
let me know.

Quote:

MyArray(2,
>> b) & MyArray(3, c) & MyArray(4, d)
>>         .Update
>>     End With
>> Next a
>> Next b
>> Next c
>> Next d
>> End Function

>> .
>.

Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:25:45 GMT
 restricting values of integers in code
It kind of depends on what you want to do if you have  anumber greater than 5.

You can use modulo arithmetic, a case statement, an if statement, etc.  If you
just want to force a number from 0 to 5 and you don't care than you could use
the Mod operator.

  9 Mod 6 = 3
 12 Mod 6 = 0
 34 Mod 6 = 4

What Mod does is divide the first number by the modulus number and return the
remainder.  It uses integer arithmetic (so numbers with a decimal portion get
converted to integers (this means the number is rounded up or down to the
closest whole number.)

Quote:

> Thanks.  The Right Function works for this procedure.
> However, do you know of any other way to restrict the
> values? I have to make another procedure that only uses
> values 0 through 5. If you can think of anything, please
> let me know.

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 01:33:57 GMT
 restricting values of integers in code
Thanks soooooo much!  I was a little hesitant of the Mod
function first because I didn't understand it.  You have
helped me do what our computing staff has been unable to.
Thanks again.

Quote:

Mon, 13 Dec 2004 02:14:35 GMT

1. Previous-Restricting values

2. regular expression - restrict value to 1-16 problem

3. Pass integer Value from forms Class mod to report class mod

4. integer values for fields

5. &H before integer value

6. Enum String Value (deriving from a Type Name and an Integer)

7. Listbox.Text to integer value

8. intialize integer to blank value?

9. Help: converting long integer colour values to RGB

10. Storing multiple setting values in an Integer

11. Conversion from string value to long integer.

12. Problem : Unable to pass an integer value from Visual Basic to Fortran DLL