Reading binary file stream
Author Message
 Reading binary file stream

I have some data in a binary file. Is there a way to have VBA open,
position and read data from the file to use in a Word doc?

If not, any suggestions as to other ways to proceed.

thanks

Wed, 27 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading binary file stream
Hi Jeff,

Have you done this before, in VB perhaps? If so, then you should be
able to use the same code in Word. VBA uses, basically, VB, so it also
has the Open, Print, Write, etc. commands.

Quote:
> I have some data in a binary file. Is there a way to have VBA open,
> position and read data from the file to use in a Word doc?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading binary file stream
Cindy,

I'm unfamiliar with the overlap between the two. I figured VB has this
capability, but had looked through some books on VBA and did not see any
references to this kind of capability. Thought it would be easier to
quiz the pros around the newsgroups before investing too much time
and/or money on this.

Thanks for your help. Guess I'll have to dig in and see what I can see.

jeff

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> Have you done this before, in VB perhaps? If so, then you should be
> able to use the same code in Word. VBA uses, basically, VB, so it also
> has the Open, Print, Write, etc. commands.

> > I have some data in a binary file. Is there a way to have VBA open,
> > position and read data from the file to use in a Word doc?

> Cindy Meister
> INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
> http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister
> http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

> This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
> or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Sat, 30 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading binary file stream
Hi Jeff,

Quote:
> Thought it would be easier to
> quiz the pros around the newsgroups before investing too much time
> and/or money on this.

If you don't get an answer here, try a straight VB group. Make sure to
mention which version of VB is valid (Office 97 = VB5; 2000 = VB6)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading binary file stream
Try the Input function.

--
Please reply only to newsgroup.

Quote:
> Hi Jeff,

> > Thought it would be easier to
> > quiz the pros around the newsgroups before investing too much time
> > and/or money on this.

> If you don't get an answer here, try a straight VB group. Make sure to
> mention which version of VB is valid (Office 97 = VB5; 2000 = VB6)

> Cindy Meister
> INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
> http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister
> http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

> This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
> or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Sun, 01 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Reading binary file stream
Was able to get a snippet from the .word97vba group.

FYI:

Dim fn as Integer

fn=FreeFile()
Open "C:\test\test.xyz" For Binary As #fn
Get #fn, xx, theData   (where xx is the location in the file)

Thank you all for the help.

Jeff

Quote:

> Try the Input function.

> --
> Please reply only to newsgroup.

> > Hi Jeff,

> > > Thought it would be easier to
> > > quiz the pros around the newsgroups before investing too much time
> > > and/or money on this.

> > If you don't get an answer here, try a straight VB group. Make sure to
> > mention which version of VB is valid (Office 97 = VB5; 2000 = VB6)

> > Cindy Meister
> > INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
> > http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister
> > http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

> > This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question
> > or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Wed, 04 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Reading a binary file into a stream

2. VB3 Binary FILES READ READ READ

3. DX9 - Playing a streaming sound from a memory stream (not file stream)

4. reading binary file and writing into a random access file

5. Reading File Header Info (Binary Files)

6. reading file to stream - preserving 0 bytes

7. VB -- Long File Name , Fast Binary File Read / Write , interface with DLL

8. Reading File Header Info (Binary Files)

9. Reading File Header Info (Binary Files)

10. Reading a binary file and storing as a string

11. Convert byte() or Binary Stream to base64 string

12. Reading binary file into an array