Missing References HELP!
Author Message
 Missing References HELP!

Check your references in the database. If ANY of the references is broken,
it can cause those functions to fail. This caused me untold problems a while
back. Most likely culprit is if there are any references to other Office
apps. The culprit for me was that we had a reference to MSWord8.olb, and
some of the functionality didn't work properly with MSWord9.olb. So what we
wound up doing was installing that file on their systems, and setting up a
reference in the database to MSWord8. Not it works like a charm, and hasn't
harmed any of their Word functionality.

Quote:
> The account I work on recently got the upgrade to MS
> Access 2000.  A couple of users have databases that use
> the LEFT and MID function.  An error occurs when the
> program tries to use the LEFT or MID function and returns
> an error something to the effect of "Missing Reference"
> or "Left Function not found"

> I'm thinking the DLL file that contains these functions is
> missing but what is the name of the DLL file?

> Thanks.

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 05:04:02 GMT
 Missing References HELP!
The account I work on recently got the upgrade to MS
Access 2000.  A couple of users have databases that use
the LEFT and MID function.  An error occurs when the
program tries to use the LEFT or MID function and returns
an error something to the effect of "Missing Reference"
or "Left Function not found"

I'm thinking the DLL file that contains these functions is
missing but what is the name of the DLL file?

Thanks.

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 04:02:11 GMT
 Missing References HELP!
Reference problems are caused by differences in either the location or file
version of certain files between the machine where the application was
developed, and where it's being run (or the file missing completely from the
target machine). Such differences are common when new software is installed.

On the machine(s) where it's not working, open any code module (or open the
Debug Window, using Ctrl-G, provided you haven't selected the "keep debug
window on top" option). Select Tools | References from the menu bar. Examine
all of the selected references.

If any of the selected references have "MISSING:" in front of them, unselect
them, and back out of the dialog. If you really need the reference(s) you
just unselected (you can tell by doing a Compile All Modules), go back in
and reselect them.

If none have "MISSING:", select an additional reference at random, back out
of the dialog, then go back in and unselect the reference you just added. If
that doesn't solve the problem, try to unselect as many of the selected
references as you can (Access may not let you unselect them all), back out
of the dialog, then go back in and reselect the references you just
unselected. (NOTE: write down what the references are before you delete
them, because they'll be in a different order when you go back in)

For far more than you could ever want to know about this problem, check out
http://members.rogers.com/douglas.j.steele/AccessReferenceErrors.html at my
homepage.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> The account I work on recently got the upgrade to MS
> Access 2000.  A couple of users have databases that use
> the LEFT and MID function.  An error occurs when the
> program tries to use the LEFT or MID function and returns
> an error something to the effect of "Missing Reference"
> or "Left Function not found"

> I'm thinking the DLL file that contains these functions is
> missing but what is the name of the DLL file?

> Thanks.

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:21:23 GMT
 Missing References HELP!
Thanks to Louis and Doug for their responses!

I went into the code for a module, under Tools -->
References, I unchecked the referenced named
MISSING:Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility Library and
the functions worked.  I went back into Tools, References
and could not find the Microsoft DAO 2.5/3.5 Compatibility
Library reference.  Very weird, but thanks again to both
of you for your help!

Quote:

Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:42:06 GMT

1. Direct Animation Reference MISSING - PLease Help

2. help : OCX/OCA/ missing reference

3. Need help finding missing objects/references for a VB program

4. MISSING REFERENCES

5. Removing Missing References through Code.

6. Access Runtime yet still missing reference

7. Missing References

8. Missing reference

9. missing reference?

10. Removing the missing reference in Access 2002

11. Remove Missing Reference

12. Missing Reference