Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Author Message
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts

I've just installed Office Student XP on my wife's laptop & made the
following changes: downloaded & installed all the updates prior to SP2,
installed WOPR XP & using TweakUI moved the MY Documents folder to her D
Drive.

I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but do
not work.

After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of the
templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but clicking ok
then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

--
Any help would be gratefully received,

Terry.

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:29:32 GMT
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Try re-registering Word - run Word from Windows > start > run using the
following
Winword /r
This should correct the registry entries that are causing the problem.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

Quote:
> I've just installed Office Student XP on my wife's laptop & made the
> following changes: downloaded & installed all the updates prior to SP2,
> installed WOPR XP & using TweakUI moved the MY Documents folder to her D
> Drive.

> I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
> explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
> complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
> correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but do
> not work.

> After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of the
> templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but clicking
ok
> then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

> Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

> I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

> --
> Any help would be gratefully received,

> Terry.

Thu, 10 Feb 2005 23:56:19 GMT
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Hello Graham,

No, tried that, tried Detect & Repair from the Control Panel & from within
Word, but nothing works. Tried moving the MY Documents folder again, nada.

It might be significant, but my wife's computer has Norton Antivirus with
the Office plugin installed. That's fully up-to-date, too. Turning it off,
however, makes no difference.

The Template path in the folder options/type dialog has a DDE string,
something like / n / dde after it. As before, if I remove this last string
Word complains that it can't find the file, but clicking ok then opens it.

I thought, maybe it's trying to find a missing template (some documents are
based on templates I've not imported onto her computer yet), but changing
the attached template has no effect either.

And creating a new Word doc from within XP makes no difference. Explorer
still complains it can't find the doc.

Strangely, every now & again Word does successfully find & open a document,
but it's random & trying to perform the same action on the same document
twice is met with the same failure.

However, if Word is already open, the documents will open when clicked in
Explorer.

The fact that changing the end string in the folder templates will get the
documents to open after a cannot find message & that they will open without
a complaint when Word is already open suggests something wrong with the
registry somewhere that Word's detect & repair simply isn't fixing.

Deleting the template from the templates folder (& normal.dot so Word
recreates it) makes no difference either.

Am I the only one to come across this problem? Is it a bug or an
installation gone wrong (despite the reassuring "Installed successfully")
messages I'd got?

Can you shed any other light on the matter?

Best wishes,

Terry.

Try re-registering Word - run Word from Windows > start > run using the
following
Winword /r
This should correct the registry entries that are causing the problem.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor
<>>< ><<> ><<>

Quote:
> I've just installed Office Student XP on my wife's laptop & made the
> following changes: downloaded & installed all the updates prior to SP2,
> installed WOPR XP & using TweakUI moved the MY Documents folder to her D
> Drive.

> I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
> explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
> complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
> correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but do
> not work.

> After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of the
> templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but clicking
ok
> then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

> Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

> I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

> --
> Any help would be gratefully received,

> Terry.

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:00:02 GMT
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Moving My Documents to anywhere you like does not affect Word's opening.
Word's default folder is set in tools > options > file locations.
Having two versions of Word on a PC can{*filter*}up registry assignments, so if
you left an old version behind this is an obvious source of conflict.
I don't know what the implications of add-ins such as WOPR might be on
things. So temporarily remove the add-in whilst trouble shooting.
Re-registering Word should have reconfigured the registry assignments that
interact with Explorer, buy you can check them manually via Explorer > Tools
Quote:
> Folder Options > View > file type DOC (and RTF) > advanced

The action for Open should be bold.
The application to perform the action should read
"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE" /n /dde
(assuming that's the correct path to Winword on your machine)
Use DDE should be checked and the DDE message should be
[REM _DDE_Direct][FileOpen("%1")]
Note the speech marks around %1. These are most important.

Norton AV should make no difference.

The issue is not to do with Word, but with Explorer.

--
<>>< ><<> ><<>
 Graham Mayor

Quote:
> [...]

> > Drive.

> > I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
> > explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
> > complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
> > correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but
do
> > not work.

> > After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of
the
> > templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but
clicking
> ok
> > then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

> > Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

> > I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

Fri, 11 Feb 2005 20:02:09 GMT
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Graham,

The installation of Office XP for Students was new on a new computer which
didn't have anything else on it (A Sony Vaio laptop). Yes, the Folder Option
actions do end with / n/dde & the DDE string is also correct.

The File/New option suffers the same problem, both bringing another
recurring message "Windows cannot find" path/name.

Looks like Explorer is{*filter*}ed-up. How do you fix that in XP?!

The KB site lists the problem with the previous error message I gave as a
pre-Explorer 6 problem with security settings/encryption, but that is
obviously not right in this case.

Many hanks for your time,

terry.

> [...]

> > Drive.

> > I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
> > explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
> > complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
> > correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but
do
> > not work.

> > After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of
the
> > templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but
clicking
> ok
> > then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

> > Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

> > I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:30:42 GMT
 Word doc/rtf files won't open from Explorer shortcuts
Sorry to dredge up this old post....  I now have the same problem with
double-clicking a template, but can't seem to figure out what the
proper string should be (under NEW).  Currently it's:

   [REM _DDE_Direct][FileNew("%1")]

but that isn't working.  Graham?

Mark Tangard

Quote:

> [...]

> > > Drive.

> > > I then became aware that all but Word and RTF files would open from
> > > explorer/the start menu. When it comes to opening these files Windows
> > > complains that it can't find the path/file - although it then lists it
> > > correctly! Looking at the Folder templates settings they seem fine, but
>  do
> > > not work.

> > > After altering the DDE string in the File New & File Open commands of
>  the
> > > templates Word still complains that it can't find the files, but
>  clicking
>  ok
> > > then opens the file. This is the best I could get it to work.

> > > Is the problem with Word or Windows? How can I fix it?

> > > I know this isn't Word General newsgroup, but hope someone can help?

Sun, 13 Mar 2005 03:52:15 GMT

1. Insert RTF into open Word doc w/o temp files

2. Word 2002 Template won't open in Word 2000

3. Printing multiple Word doc files without opening each in word

4. Win95 shortcuts won't open

5. VBSCRIPT Create Word Doc / RTF File

6. Convert MS-Word (Doc) files to RTF

7. Can't open word doc using automation

8. XML, Converting Word doc's to XML files (O'2000)

9. Word freezes up when opening older doc's

10. Open word 97 doc with doc name as variable

11. BuiltInDocumentProperties from non-Word text files + testing if a DOC file is a Word file

12. Don't open file with 'doc' file extension but which is not in a valid word file format