Customised menu conflict with menu addin from other application
Author Message
 Customised menu conflict with menu addin from other application

The background:

I have a customised menu (for my macros) which I put after the standard
Tools menu in Word. I position the menu with the code:

Sub NewMenu(Title)
 Set cmdMenuOp = CommandBars("Menu Bar").Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup,
Before:=11)
 cmdMenuOp.Caption = Title
End Sub

Then afterwards I use other code to insert the individual menu entries with
the macros. The menu is saved in the normal.dot template, i.e. Word doesn't
load it every time as an add-in.

The problem:

Recently I installed the writer version of the Adobe Acrobat. An Adobe
add-in with menu is loaded when   Word starts. If I take a clean normal.dot
(without my custom made menu) I see the Adobe menu but if I load my
customised normal.dot (with my menu) then I only see my customised menu and
the Adobe menu disappears (presumably under my menu!).

Ok ... I can live without the Adobe menu ...
... but I'd still be interested to learn what I could do to enable both
menus.

Does anyone have a tip?

Thanks in advance
Paul

Tue, 12 Oct 2004 18:50:50 GMT
 Customised menu conflict with menu addin from other application
Adobe AddIns have been reputed to cause trouble.

Question: Why are you using code for this? Why not simply create the
modifications in your Add-In (I would recommend creating a custom toolbar to
hold your custom menu and other customizations and then copying them from
that custom toolbar to the built-ins.) Then save your Add-In with the
customizations. Skip the code unless for some reason you want the
customizations to be different each time based on something else going on.

This may, or may not clear up your problem with the Adobe Add-In. It may be
a matter of which loads first (or last). Generally Add-Ins will load in the
order they are listed in the startup folder (i.e. alphabetical) but there
can be exceptions.
--
Charles Kenyon

Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
from my ignorance and your wisdom.

Quote:

> The background:

> I have a customised menu (for my macros) which I put after the standard
> Tools menu in Word. I position the menu with the code:

> Sub NewMenu(Title)
>  Set cmdMenuOp = CommandBars("Menu

Bar").Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup,
Quote:
> Before:=11)
>  cmdMenuOp.Caption = Title
> End Sub

> Then afterwards I use other code to insert the individual menu entries
with
> the macros. The menu is saved in the normal.dot template, i.e. Word
doesn't
> load it every time as an add-in.

> The problem:

> Recently I installed the writer version of the Adobe Acrobat. An Adobe
> add-in with menu is loaded when   Word starts. If I take a clean
normal.dot
> (without my custom made menu) I see the Adobe menu but if I load my
> customised normal.dot (with my menu) then I only see my customised menu
and
> the Adobe menu disappears (presumably under my menu!).

> Ok ... I can live without the Adobe menu ...
> ... but I'd still be interested to learn what I could do to enable both
> menus.

> Does anyone have a tip?

> Thanks in advance
> Paul

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 09:07:35 GMT
 Customised menu conflict with menu addin from other application
Thanks for your answer Charles. I used code to insert the menu so I could
avoid having to manually build the complicated macro menu everytime I had
problem with the template (and sometimes I lost the menu!) Well anyway now
the macro menu is on a toolbar. The Adobe menu still has not reappeared. I
suppose if I'm desperate to see the Adobe menu which comes with the Adobe
add-in I can either re-install the Acrobat or simply make a new menu with
the macros I can see in the Adobe Add-in. Regarding my macros, at the moment
my macro collection is not in an "Add-in" but is stored in normal.dot.
Perhaps an Add-in is the best solution for the future.
Paul

Quote:
> Adobe AddIns have been reputed to cause trouble.

> Question: Why are you using code for this? Why not simply create the
> modifications in your Add-In (I would recommend creating a custom toolbar
> hold your custom menu and other customizations and then copying them from
> that custom toolbar to the built-ins.) Then save your Add-In with the
> customizations. Skip the code unless for some reason you want the
> customizations to be different each time based on something else going on.

> This may, or may not clear up your problem with the Adobe Add-In. It may
be
> a matter of which loads first (or last). Generally Add-Ins will load in
the
> order they are listed in the startup folder (i.e. alphabetical) but there
> can be exceptions.
> --
> Charles Kenyon

> Word New User FAQ & Web Directory:

> Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version of
> Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide)

> See also the MVP FAQ: <URL: http://www.mvps.org/word/> which is awesome!
>  --------- --------- --------- --------- --------- ---------
> This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies
> and questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn
> from my ignorance and your wisdom.

> > The background:

> > I have a customised menu (for my macros) which I put after the standard
> > Tools menu in Word. I position the menu with the code:

> > Sub NewMenu(Title)
> >  Set cmdMenuOp = CommandBars("Menu
> Bar").Controls.Add(Type:=msoControlPopup,
> > Before:=11)
> >  cmdMenuOp.Caption = Title
> > End Sub

> > Then afterwards I use other code to insert the individual menu entries
> with
> > the macros. The menu is saved in the normal.dot template, i.e. Word
> doesn't
> > load it every time as an add-in.

> > The problem:

> > Recently I installed the writer version of the Adobe Acrobat. An Adobe
> > add-in with menu is loaded when   Word starts. If I take a clean
> normal.dot
> > (without my custom made menu) I see the Adobe menu but if I load my
> > customised normal.dot (with my menu) then I only see my customised menu
> and
> > the Adobe menu disappears (presumably under my menu!).

> > Ok ... I can live without the Adobe menu ...
> > ... but I'd still be interested to learn what I could do to enable both
> > menus.

> > Does anyone have a tip?

> > Thanks in advance
> > Paul

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 01:41:53 GMT

1. Adding Menu item to the Mail item menu from an outlook Addin

2. Adding Menu item to the Mail item menu from an outlook Addin

3. How to display accelerator text in customised menu items

4. Accelerator text in customised menu items

5. Can't get rid of customised menu item

6. menus and sub-menus and sub-sub-menus

7. show a shortcut menu / popup menu / context menu

8. Multi-select Menu or Permanent Menu and MDI_CHILD Menu Handle

9. How can i use a sub menu under the menu selection of my vb's addin menu

10. Menus and others not looking right under XP

11. Menus and others not looking right under XP

12. Addin Menu Like Behaviour on Other Submenus