Help! DoCmd.ApplyFilter cuts String after 255 characters
Author Message
 Help! DoCmd.ApplyFilter cuts String after 255 characters

Hi there
I can't figure out the following problem: I've created a commandbutton
which runs a query to find certain records in a table and adds their
ID's to a string. I filter my records by this string: DoCmdApplyFilter ,
strMyString which works perfectly ...unless the strMyString becomes
larger than 256 characters. It then gets cut at the 256th character
leaving the rest useless. Another query almost similar to this one works
although the string is more than twice as long. Access97 Help says the
DoCmd.ApplyFilter can work with strings more than 32000 characters
long.  Both events are triggered by buttons on forms, both queries
search for ID's in a table and create the searchstrings which even are
identical (e.g. PersNo = 79 or PersNo = 81 or... etc.), so why does it
work in one case and not in the other? I've even tried repairing my mdb
thinking there was some error but that didn't help. I don't think there
is a misspelling problem because it works with smaller strings and the
string is generated by the query. So if you've any clue to supply let me
know.
TIA David

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! DoCmd.ApplyFilter cuts String after 255 characters
I'm having the same problem!!

Sat, 08 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! DoCmd.ApplyFilter cuts String after 255 characters

Hiya,
Try using the ApplyFilter method of the form instead of the DoCmd
(Methods are Faster And Better)
--
Regards
Pieter Wijnen

http://www.thuleeng.com

Tough guys don't take backup - tough guys cry a lot..

  wijnen.vcf
< 1K Download

Mon, 10 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! DoCmd.ApplyFilter cuts String after 255 characters
Hi Pieter,
first of all: thanks for your reply! i' m afraid i havn' t got a clue what
you' re talking about. If you mean the commandbutton in the menubar thats not
working because i' ve blocked it out.
What really drives me bonkers is, that the much more complicated query works
while the quite simple one doesn' t even though the final command line is
absolutely identical.
Could the fact, that the working one is started from a popup-form which is
closed before the filter is applied, be of interest?
regards David

Tue, 11 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL Strings appear to truncate to 255 characters

2. Strings longer than 255 characters into word field using vb6

3. Populating Bookmarks with strings of > 255 characters

4. whats the best way to parse a string and return 255 characters chunks

5. String field got trimmed to 255 characters

6. How to exceed 255 characters in adodb SQL string

7. Winsock INET_ADDR returns INADDR_NONE for 255.255.255.255

8. Docmd.applyfilter bug in Access 2000 SR1

9. DoCmd.ApplyFilter

10. Strings being cut off around 250 characters

11. Strings being cut off around 250 characters

12. A way to cut n characters from a string