Huge Database Problem!
Author Message
 Huge Database Problem!

Can you help?

I was recently assigned to an Access project in which a database (after
successfully being in use for over a year) is growing out of control and
is now showing weird results during queries, etc. This system is used by
about 10 people and is there entire database system (forms, queries,
reports, etc...)... It's written in Access '97.

The file size is enormous - pushing 400 megs, and when I try to compact,
the whole app "dr. watsons" out on me and the app closes. I tried to
create a new database and import everything over, and everything seems
ok, except a few of the forms now have problems running code - problems
that were never there before.

My question is, am I fogetting something? Is there a way to start a new
access database and import EVERYTHING over from another database? I
thought just using "get external data" would work, but apparently it's
not bringing over everything (I even brought over toolbars, and
definitions...everything it would let me import...)

any ideas?

Steve Poloney

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Huge Database Problem!
Steve,

I have a couple of suggestions that might help - if you can get them to run.
First make a backup copy of the original db and put it aside just in case
:->

Then I suggest you try splitting the database so that you have a Frontend db
with forms,queries, and programs and a backend db which is strictly data.
You can try running the database splitter (which I think is an addin in
Access97).

If it doesn't work you can get the same results by creating a new database,
importing all of your tables into it and then (after copiously checking that
the data is intact in the new db) delete the tables from your original db.
At this point I'd try to compact the frontend (original) db. If you get this
far, then you link the tables by clicking File, Get External Data, Link
Tables. Using the open file dialog, find your backend db and select all the
tables. From that point on, Access treats them almost like local tables.

The other thing I would suggest is a decompile - if a compact crashes, it
might too but it's worth a try. Read up on the decompile at
http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0008.htm

Read  this entire article and its links before you use it. I've never had
any problems with it but you should know what you're doing first.

I would also turn of Dr. Watson - I haven't used it but I've noticed with
Norton's crash gaurd, sometimes I get by with fewer crashes if it's not
running.  In fact, I'd make sure that you have as little as possible running
in the back ground when you try these things - and I'd also try to work on
the machine with the most memory and the fastest CPU!

Good luck - let me know how it goes.

Sandra Daigle

Quote:
> Can you help?

> I was recently assigned to an Access project in which a database (after
> successfully being in use for over a year) is growing out of control and
> is now showing weird results during queries, etc. This system is used by
> about 10 people and is there entire database system (forms, queries,
> reports, etc...)... It's written in Access '97.

> The file size is enormous - pushing 400 megs, and when I try to compact,
> the whole app "dr. watsons" out on me and the app closes. I tried to
> create a new database and import everything over, and everything seems
> ok, except a few of the forms now have problems running code - problems
> that were never there before.

> My question is, am I fogetting something? Is there a way to start a new
> access database and import EVERYTHING over from another database? I
> thought just using "get external data" would work, but apparently it's
> not bringing over everything (I even brought over toolbars, and
> definitions...everything it would let me import...)

> any ideas?

> Steve Poloney

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Huge Database Problem!
Hi Steve,

In addition to the other good suggestions you have already received, you
might also try this.

If you have already split the database into front-end back-end, you could
use an append or make-table query to select pieces of the database to be put
into separate tables. I can't imagine a 400 meg database requiring that all
of the data be screened for each and every question that might be asked. If
not, cut it up into smaller logical subsets. If you can put it into separate
years, put one year into a separate table or separate database, attach it to
your application, and do whatever needs to be done with that year. Same for
each of the other years, etc.

Norm

Quote:

> Can you help?

> I was recently assigned to an Access project in which a database (after
> successfully being in use for over a year) is growing out of control and
> is now showing weird results during queries, etc. This system is used by
> about 10 people and is there entire database system (forms, queries,
> reports, etc...)... It's written in Access '97.

> The file size is enormous - pushing 400 megs, and when I try to compact,
> the whole app "dr. watsons" out on me and the app closes. I tried to
> create a new database and import everything over, and everything seems
> ok, except a few of the forms now have problems running code - problems
> that were never there before.

> My question is, am I fogetting something? Is there a way to start a new
> access database and import EVERYTHING over from another database? I
> thought just using "get external data" would work, but apparently it's
> not bringing over everything (I even brought over toolbars, and
> definitions...everything it would let me import...)

> any ideas?

> Steve Poloney

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problem with Huge Database

2. DDE Connection Problem - Huge Problem - Help me!

3. Code Creating huge Database

4. Append queries causing HUGE database file.

5. Huge Tables & Database properties

6. Sorting Huge Databases In Memory

7. Access 2000 database get huge in size.

8. Huge Access Database

9. Accessing a huge Database(17Meg)

10. handling a huge database

11. Inserting huge text files into Access database using VB6

12. Insert Huge text files in SQL Database