changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
Author Message
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6

Actually, you can't change the type or size once the field's been created.
The only thing you can do is rename the original field, create a new field
with the "correct" name (and characteristics), copy the data from the old
field to the new field, then delete the old field.

This is what Access does behind the scenes when you do it through the GUI.

--

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?

Quote:
> Tricky one this,.....how do you:

> Change the type or size of a field in an Access 97 database using VB6?

> Cheers

> Rob King

Fri, 24 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
Tricky one this,.....how do you:

Change the type or size of a field in an Access 97 database using VB6?

Cheers

Rob King

Sat, 25 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
Well seeing as nobody has replyed, I have worked it out anyway.
Anyone want to see the code?

Rob - King of VB6!

Quote:
> Tricky one this,.....how do you:

> Change the type or size of a field in an Access 97 database using VB6?

> Cheers

> Rob King

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
Rob: If you check DejaNews, you'll see that I responded to your question the
day you posted it (2000/08/07)!

Glad you worked it out.

--

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
http://I.Am/DougSteele/

Quote:
> Well seeing as nobody has replyed, I have worked it out anyway.
> Anyone want to see the code?

> Rob - King of VB6!

> > Tricky one this,.....how do you:

> > Change the type or size of a field in an Access 97 database using VB6?

> > Cheers

> > Rob King

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
So am I.... but personally I think a title like "king of VB6" is awfully
presumptuous.

If you notice, the real "kings" never claim their title. :-)

--
MichKa

random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp

Quote:
> Rob: If you check DejaNews, you'll see that I responded to your question
the
> day you posted it (2000/08/07)!

> Glad you worked it out.

> --

> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
> Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
> http://I.Am/DougSteele/

> > Well seeing as nobody has replyed, I have worked it out anyway.
> > Anyone want to see the code?

> > Rob - King of VB6!

> > > Tricky one this,.....how do you:

> > > Change the type or size of a field in an Access 97 database using VB6?

> > > Cheers

> > > Rob King

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6
MichKa: I think it's supposed to be a play on words. After all, his name is
Rob King...

--

Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
http://I.Am/DougSteele/

Quote:
> So am I.... but personally I think a title like "king of VB6" is awfully
> presumptuous.

> If you notice, the real "kings" never claim their title. :-)

> --
> MichKa

> random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
> http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
> i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp

> > Rob: If you check DejaNews, you'll see that I responded to your question
> the
> > day you posted it (2000/08/07)!

> > Glad you worked it out.

> > --

> > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> > Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
> > Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
> > http://I.Am/DougSteele/

> > > Well seeing as nobody has replyed, I have worked it out anyway.
> > > Anyone want to see the code?

> > > Rob - King of VB6!

VB6?

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 changing field type/size in Access 97 using vb6

I know.... still presumptuous. :-)

--
MichKa

random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp

Quote:
> MichKa: I think it's supposed to be a play on words. After all, his name
is
> Rob King...

> --

> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
> Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
> http://I.Am/DougSteele/

in

> > So am I.... but personally I think a title like "king of VB6" is awfully
> > presumptuous.

> > If you notice, the real "kings" never claim their title. :-)

> > --
> > MichKa

> > random junk of dubious value at the multilingual
> > http://www.trigeminal.com/ and a new book on
> > i18N in VB at http://www.trigeminal.com/michka.asp

> > > Rob: If you check DejaNews, you'll see that I responded to your
question
> > the
> > > day you posted it (2000/08/07)!

> > > Glad you worked it out.

> > > --

> > > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> > > Beer, Wine and Database Programming. What could be better?
> > > Visit "Doug Steele's Beer and Programming Emporium"
> > > http://I.Am/DougSteele/

> VB6?

Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Change Access 97 Field sizes using VB 6

2. IN Code - convert a field type from Text to Hyperlink in Access 97

3. how to change field size and delete field MS ACCESS/VB

4. Changing the length of an Access 97 field

5. Changes in Access 97 Fields Affect Report

6. Changing the type and size of a field

7. DAO and Programmatically Changing the Type and Size on a Field

8. VB6 and Access 97 dB - Date fields

9. VB6 With access 97 database Date fields

10. Data Types when using Access Types in VB6

11. Searching Access 97 using more than one field

12. Using Access 97 OLE Object fields