Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?
Author Message
 Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?

Hi all!

Sorry for crossposting a question, which maybe some faq-issue ... but ...

I've already searched the net and especially www.slipstick.com (a very, very
recommendable site! compliments!) for a way to programmatically change the
normal mousepointer to an hourglass cursor in a standard Outlook folder
(Inbox) view - no success.

I simply want to indicate to the user, that after clicking a macro button
Outlook is busy exporting data of customized items - out of an inbox to an
excel report - using a vb script I made.

I have found some information at
http://www.*-*-*.com/ , but cannot believe that
there is NO way to change the cursor programmatically when not working
with/in a customized form.

Isn't there something like "Screen.Mousepointer = 11", DoCmd. ... for the
Outlook-App-Object, Explorers and the like ?

Thx-a-lot in advance,
G.

Fri, 07 Jan 2005 22:12:50 GMT

www.slipstick.com/dev/tips/changepointer.htm, but cannot believe that there
is NO way to change the cursor programmatically when not working with/in a
customized form.

Isn't there something like "Screen.Mousepointer = 11", DoCmd. ... for the
Outlook-App-Object, Explorers and the like ?

Thx-a-lot in advance,
A.H.

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 00:50:38 GMT
 Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?
About the only way that I know of that might work would be to call
Win32 API functions to change the cursor shape at the beginning and
end of your code.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Quote:
> Hi all!

> Sorry for crossposting a question, which maybe some faq-issue ...
but ...

> I've already searched the net and especially www.slipstick.com (a
very, very
> recommendable site! compliments!) for a way to programmatically
change the
> normal mousepointer to an hourglass cursor in a standard Outlook
folder
> (Inbox) view - no success.

> I simply want to indicate to the user, that after clicking a macro
button
> Outlook is busy exporting data of customized items - out of an inbox
to an
> excel report - using a vb script I made.

> I have found some information at
> www.slipstick.com/dev/tips/changepointer.htm, but cannot believe
that there
> is NO way to change the cursor programmatically when not working
with/in a
> customized form.

> Isn't there something like "Screen.Mousepointer = 11", DoCmd. ...
for the
> Outlook-App-Object, Explorers and the like ?

> Thx-a-lot in advance,
> A.H.

Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:29:08 GMT
 Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?

Quote:
> About the only way that I know of that might work would be to call
> Win32 API functions to change the cursor shape at the beginning and
> end of your code.

Thank you for the response,
but this raises the next question(s):

Which function calls do you mean in specific ?

LoadCursor (Lib "user32") ? ... which I found at
http://www.allapi.net/apilist/apifunction.php?apifunction=LoadCursor ...
LoadCursorFromFile ?

1. I am a newbie to VB Scripting/VBA, so I tried to avoid API-calls where
possible - how and where do I declare and use these functions ?
2. If LoadCursor is the right one, I know I have to use the parameter
IDC_WAIT for the hourglass ...
But in the code snipets in the net, there are always some other constants
defined - I have no idea which I have to use and what for, how am I
supposed, for example, to know that the Constant 'IDC_SIZEALL' must have the
value '32646&' ... ?
3. What's the "scope" of the cursor change using API ? Active Explorer,
Outlook-App, the whole desktop ? Can I change this scope ?
4. Is changing the cursor shape enough to stop user interaction while
executing the script or do I have to take some additional measures: setting
Outlook as "modal", setting the other apps as inactive explicitely or
something like that and how do I do that ?
I hope that there is no substring "WIN32 API" in the answer ... ;-)

So far it seems I have triggered an avalanche with my tiny "hourglass"
requirement ;-)
Thx-a-lot in advance,
A.H.

Quote:
> --
> Ken Slovak
> [MVP - Outlook]
> http://www.slovaktech.com
> Lead Author, Professional Outlook 2000 Programming, Wrox Press
> Lead Author, Beginning VB 6 Application Development, Wrox Press
> Attachment Options
> http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm
> Extended Reminders
> http://www.slovaktech.com/extendedreminders.htm

> > Hi all!

> > Sorry for crossposting a question, which maybe some faq-issue ...
> but ...

> > I've already searched the net and especially www.slipstick.com (a
> very, very
> > recommendable site! compliments!) for a way to programmatically
> change the
> > normal mousepointer to an hourglass cursor in a standard Outlook
> folder
> > (Inbox) view - no success.

> > I simply want to indicate to the user, that after clicking a macro
> button
> > Outlook is busy exporting data of customized items - out of an inbox
> to an
> > excel report - using a vb script I made.

> > I have found some information at
> > www.slipstick.com/dev/tips/changepointer.htm, but cannot believe
> that there
> > is NO way to change the cursor programmatically when not working
> with/in a
> > customized form.

> > Isn't there something like "Screen.Mousepointer = 11", DoCmd. ...
> for the
> > Outlook-App-Object, Explorers and the like ?

> > Thx-a-lot in advance,
> > A.H.

Sun, 09 Jan 2005 16:08:25 GMT
 Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (inbox) ?
Q131991 talks about that in reference to doing it from C code in MFC,
Q160041 talks about modifying the system cursor in VB. I haven't done
this using the Win32 API's so I can't give you any better help. I'd
suggest posting in a VB group about this.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]
http://www.slovaktech.com
Lead Author, Beginning VB 6 Application Development, Wrox Press
Attachment Options
http://www.slovaktech.com/attachmentoptions.htm
Extended Reminders
http://www.slovaktech.com/extendedreminders.htm

Quote:

Newsbeitrag

> [...]

> > > normal mousepointer to an hourglass cursor in a standard Outlook
> > folder
> > > (Inbox) view - no success.

> > > I simply want to indicate to the user, that after clicking a
macro
> > button
> > > Outlook is busy exporting data of customized items - out of an
inbox
> > to an
> > > excel report - using a vb script I made.

> > > I have found some information at
> > > www.slipstick.com/dev/tips/changepointer.htm, but cannot believe
> > that there
> > > is NO way to change the cursor programmatically when not working
> > with/in a
> > > customized form.

> > > Isn't there something like "Screen.Mousepointer = 11", DoCmd.
> > for the
> > > Outlook-App-Object, Explorers and the like ?

Mon, 10 Jan 2005 00:21:09 GMT

1. Hourglass cursor in standard folder view (Inbox) ?

2. Hourglass cursor in standard outlook folder view (inbox) ?

3. Check if a folder is a standard folder

4. Cursor doesn't change to Hourglass

5. Change the cursor icon to hourglass?

6. How to set Hourglass cursor?

7. Hourglass Cursor

8. Hourglass mouse cursor

9. How to force VB to make cursor=hourglass during startup

10. change cursor to hourglass?

11. Hourglass Cursor w/VB4

12. Help Needed: Timer and the hourglass cursor