Missing reference
Author Message
 Missing reference

I am trying to establish a reference to Acrobat 4.0 type
library in Access 97 running under Windows 2000.  After
setting the reference I got the usual error message that
indicates that Access didn't know about the user defined
type.  When I returned to the Reference set-up dialog, it
now shows that the Acrobat reference is MISSING.  Is there
a way to properly set up this reference without re-
installing Acrobat? If not, do I have to fully uninstall
Acrobat prior to reinstalling it, or can I install it over
the existing installation.  Thanks in advane.

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 20:44:56 GMT
 Missing reference
It's possible that the problem is simply caused by it being a different
version on the second machine, or in a different location.

Try unselecting the MISSING reference and backing out of the dialog. Then,
If it does, select it, and you should be fine.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> I am trying to establish a reference to Acrobat 4.0 type
> library in Access 97 running under Windows 2000.  After
> setting the reference I got the usual error message that
> indicates that Access didn't know about the user defined
> type.  When I returned to the Reference set-up dialog, it
> now shows that the Acrobat reference is MISSING.  Is there
> a way to properly set up this reference without re-
> installing Acrobat? If not, do I have to fully uninstall
> Acrobat prior to reinstalling it, or can I install it over
> the existing installation.  Thanks in advane.

Wed, 29 Sep 2004 23:08:57 GMT
 Missing reference
I tried your suggestion, but when I examined the
references again, Acrobat 4.0 came up as MISSING.  I
should add, that when I established the reference the
choice was simply "Acrobat", but when the reference showed
up as MISSING, it was described as "Acrobat 4.0" (which is
the version I have on this machine.  Another possible isue
is that on this machine I have Access 97 installed, and
Access 2000 installed running Win 2000. I have had
problems with Access 97 and Access 2000 coexisting on a
machine at the same time, but hope that isn't part of what
is going on here.

I am curious why the dialog recognizes "Acrobat" one time
and then when it is found missing, it is described as
Acrobat 4.0.

I have found the file in the Acrobat folders that surely
appears to be the one that is the type library, and from
what I can discern from the file icon it appears to
indicate it is damaged (a file folder that appears to be
town).
Your help is MUCH appreciated.
Thanks,
Ron Freudenheim

Quote:

available references.
Quote:
>If it does, select it, and you should be fine.

>--
>Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
>http://I.Am/DougSteele

>> I am trying to establish a reference to Acrobat 4.0 type
>> library in Access 97 running under Windows 2000.  After
>> setting the reference I got the usual error message that
>> indicates that Access didn't know about the user defined
>> type.  When I returned to the Reference set-up dialog,
it
>> now shows that the Acrobat reference is MISSING.  Is
there
>> a way to properly set up this reference without re-
>> installing Acrobat? If not, do I have to fully uninstall
>> Acrobat prior to reinstalling it, or can I install it
over
>> the existing installation.  Thanks in advane.

>.

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 06:34:42 GMT
 Missing reference
When you select any particular reference, the exact location of the file is
indicated at the bottom of the dialog. (Unfortunately, the dialog box isn't
sizable, so if the path is long, it often ends up being truncated.) Once you
determine what it thinks the reference should be, make sure that it's
properly registered.

FWIW, I doubt very much that this is related to Access 97/Access 2000
coexistance.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> I tried your suggestion, but when I examined the
> references again, Acrobat 4.0 came up as MISSING.  I
> should add, that when I established the reference the
> choice was simply "Acrobat", but when the reference showed
> up as MISSING, it was described as "Acrobat 4.0" (which is
> the version I have on this machine.  Another possible isue
> is that on this machine I have Access 97 installed, and
> Access 2000 installed running Win 2000. I have had
> problems with Access 97 and Access 2000 coexisting on a
> machine at the same time, but hope that isn't part of what
> is going on here.

> I am curious why the dialog recognizes "Acrobat" one time
> and then when it is found missing, it is described as
> Acrobat 4.0.

> I have found the file in the Acrobat folders that surely
> appears to be the one that is the type library, and from
> what I can discern from the file icon it appears to
> indicate it is damaged (a file folder that appears to be
> town).
> Your help is MUCH appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Ron Freudenheim

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 07:40:29 GMT
 Missing reference
The location was correct, and I tried unselecting it,
closing the mdb file and then reopening it and selecting
it and then checking it again, and found is again listed
as MISSING.  I reinstalled Acrobat 4.0 and I  the
Acrobat.tlb file that was there appears to have been
overwritten, because I unchecked the "Archive" attribute
prior to re-running the installation.  Post re-
installation the "Archive" attribute was checked - so I
believe I got a fresh copy.  The file Icon still
looks "torn".  I checked my wife's machine where Acrobat
is also instaled, and the file icon is different (little
brick wall) and I copied the file to my machine and still
no change.  I went through the unselect and reselect
process and still it appears as MISSING.  The only thing I
have not done is to completely uninstall Acrobat prior to
reinstalling it.

Quote:

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:29:39 GMT
 Missing reference
The previous message got sent before I was really ready -
sorry about that.  I put a copy of the mdb file on my
wife's machine NT4(SP5) and the same exact thing happens.
The reference shows up as MISSING.  Any other ideas?
Thanks in advance... Ron

Quote:

Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:31:55 GMT
 Missing reference
Sorry: nothing comes to mind.

Why are you referencing it anyhow? (In other words, do you really need it,
or is there some other way to achieve what you're trying to do?)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

Quote:
> The previous message got sent before I was really ready -
> sorry about that.  I put a copy of the mdb file on my
> wife's machine NT4(SP5) and the same exact thing happens.
> The reference shows up as MISSING.  Any other ideas?
> Thanks in advance... Ron

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 04:04:43 GMT
 Missing reference
My application involves underwriting thousands of loans.
For each loan one or more third party report is generated
by outside vendors.  These include title reports for
collateral property, credit reports of the borrowers,
environmental reports, etc.  The reports are delivered as
PDF files from the vendors.  I want to be able to have PDF
files available to the underwriters and their supervisors
from within the application, so that a list of third party
reports associated with a given loan would appear on a
form, and I want to have the ability for the user to click
on the report in the list and have it load so they can
read it.    As the PDF files come in, I can catalog them
on a table, with appropriate uniqueness numbering, but I
next need to have Acrobat open with the correct file.

I played around with the Shell statement, and I can
deliver the file location as the value of a variable, but
I was unable to concatonate the file path and name and
attach it to the Shell statement.  Thus I was going to go
the automation route and instantiate an Acrobat session
and then specify which file to open.  Any thoughts?  I
really appreciate your help on this.
Ron

Quote:

of

4.0
>> type
>> After
? *! lb
> " l error message
>> that
>> defined
>> dialog,
Is
re-
>> uninstall
install it

>> >.

>.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 06:44:35 GMT
 Missing reference
Assuming they have Acrobat properly installed, you should be able to use
ShellExecute. Check http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0018.htm at Dev
Ashish's "The Access Web".

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

My application involves underwriting thousands of loans.
For each loan one or more third party report is generated
by outside vendors.  These include title reports for
collateral property, credit reports of the borrowers,
environmental reports, etc.  The reports are delivered as
PDF files from the vendors.  I want to be able to have PDF
files available to the underwriters and their supervisors
from within the application, so that a list of third party
reports associated with a given loan would appear on a
form, and I want to have the ability for the user to click
on the report in the list and have it load so they can
read it.    As the PDF files come in, I can catalog them
on a table, with appropriate uniqueness numbering, but I
next need to have Acrobat open with the correct file.

I played around with the Shell statement, and I can
deliver the file location as the value of a variable, but
I was unable to concatonate the file path and name and
attach it to the Shell statement.  Thus I was going to go
the automation route and instantiate an Acrobat session
and then specify which file to open.  Any thoughts?  I
really appreciate your help on this.
Ron

Quote:

of

4.0
>> type
>> After
? *! lb
> " l error message
>> that
>> defined
>> dialog,
Is
re-
>> uninstall
install it

>> >.

>.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 07:40:36 GMT
 Missing reference
I'm not sure if you want Acrobat, or the PDF viewer

You can also try to put an object frame onto a
form or report.  I'm not sure if the activeX control
can be used without a form or report:  have you
tried pdf.tlb ?

(david)

My application involves underwriting thousands of loans.
For each loan one or more third party report is generated
by outside vendors.  These include title reports for
collateral property, credit reports of the borrowers,
environmental reports, etc.  The reports are delivered as
PDF files from the vendors.  I want to be able to have PDF
files available to the underwriters and their supervisors
from within the application, so that a list of third party
reports associated with a given loan would appear on a
form, and I want to have the ability for the user to click
on the report in the list and have it load so they can
read it.    As the PDF files come in, I can catalog them
on a table, with appropriate uniqueness numbering, but I
next need to have Acrobat open with the correct file.

I played around with the Shell statement, and I can
deliver the file location as the value of a variable, but
I was unable to concatonate the file path and name and
attach it to the Shell statement.  Thus I was going to go
the automation route and instantiate an Acrobat session
and then specify which file to open.  Any thoughts?  I
really appreciate your help on this.
Ron

Quote:

of

4.0
>> type
>> After
? *! lb
> " l error message
>> that
>> defined
>> dialog,
Is
re-
>> uninstall
install it

>> >.

>.

Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:41:15 GMT
 Missing reference
I would be happy to have the Acrobat viewer load so that
the users could see the reports contained in the
individual PDF files.  I will have to think about how to
use an object frame.  Thanks for you suggestion.
Ron

Quote:

Quote:
>My application involves underwriting thousands of loans.
>For each loan one or more third party report is generated
>by outside vendors.  These include title reports for
>collateral property, credit reports of the borrowers,
>environmental reports, etc.  The reports are delivered as
>PDF files from the vendors.  I want to be able to have PDF
>files available to the underwriters and their supervisors
>from within the application, so that a list of third party
>reports associated with a given loan would appear on a
>form, and I want to have the ability for the user to click
>on the report in the list and have it load so they can
>read it.    As the PDF files come in, I can catalog them
>on a table, with appropriate uniqueness numbering, but I
>next need to have Acrobat open with the correct file.

>I played around with the Shell statement, and I can
>deliver the file location as the value of a variable, but
>I was unable to concatonate the file path and name and
>attach it to the Shell statement.  Thus I was going to go
>the automation route and instantiate an Acrobat session
>and then specify which file to open.  Any thoughts?  I
>really appreciate your help on this.
>Ron

 obat", but when the reference

>>> showed
>(which
>>> is
possible
>>> isue
>and
>on a
of
>>> what

>>> time
as

>surely
>from
>to be

Sat, 02 Oct 2004 07:57:47 GMT

1. MISSING REFERENCES

2. Removing Missing References through Code.

3. Access Runtime yet still missing reference

4. Missing References HELP!

5. Missing References

6. missing reference?

7. Removing the missing reference in Access 2002

8. Remove Missing Reference

9. Missing Reference

10. remove a missing reference using code

11. Missing Reference

12. Automatically Detecting Missing References