vba compilation question
Author Message
 vba compilation question

I hope someone can enlighten me on this topic:

How does the VBA 'ompilation' process work?

Is it really just an interpreter, reading the source code?
Are"compilation error"s just debugging messages or is it really compiling?

If it is compiling in some way, does it keep a separate binary copy
somewhere and update it line-by-line as the source code changes?  When
saving the source module?

If it is interpretted, do comments significantly slow down run speed?

Do all vba apps' (Word, Access, Outlook) compilation processes work
basically the same way?

Thanks for your instructive advice on this topic.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vba compilation question
Quote:
>How does the vba 'compilation' process work?

The source is compiled to a tokenized "Pcode".

Quote:
>Is it really just an interpreter, reading the source code?

No, there is an intermediate step of compiling to Pcode.

Quote:
>Are"compilation error"s just debugging messages or is it really compiling?

It's really compiling.

Quote:
>If it is compiling in some way, does it keep a separate binary copy
>somewhere and update it line-by-line as the source code changes?  When
>saving the source module?

The compiled version is updated whenever the code is compiled, which
must happen before it is run.

Quote:
>If it is interpretted, do comments significantly slow down run speed?

I don't think comments make it into the Pcode.

Quote:
>Do all vba apps' (Word, Access, Outlook) compilation processes work
>basically the same way?

Yes, I think so, although VB offers some extra options.

When you create an Access MDE file, the source code is stripped away
and all that is left is the compiled Pcode, which cannot then be
changed.

 -- Andy

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vba compilation question
Thanks, Andy.  I've always wondered about that.

Sat, 28 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 vba compilation question
I wonder if debug.print s get put in the pcode?
what does pcode stand for ?

Sun, 20 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VBA: Conditional compilation?

2. Compilation in VBA code using DMO objects - Help

3. 16-bit compilation in 32-bit compilation

4. ACC2000: Compilation Question

5. Dynamic Conditional Compilation Question

6. Question about compilation results

7. COMPILATION QUESTION

8. Compilation Libraries / EXE question.......

9. Help: question related to COM and compilation

10. Question from VBA novice re True and False values in VBA code for Word97

11. FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions - vba - Please read before posting questions - unofficial - March posting

12. FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions - vba - please read before posting questions - unofficial February posting