Compatibility Problem Using MS Excel 97 VBA on Excel 2000/XP - Causes crashes
Author Message
 Compatibility Problem Using MS Excel 97 VBA on Excel 2000/XP - Causes crashes

I have developed a number of spreadsheets, using controls and VBA, on
Excel 97. When trying to use these on Excel 2000 or XP, the workbook
will open, but as soon as the first piece of VBA is triggered, Excel
shuts down. I have tried stepping through the VBA code and can do this
- there is no VBA error generated. Excel does not give a useful
message, just 'Excel has encountered a problem and needs to shut
down'.

I have identified two potential bugs which may cause this:
Q317850 reports loss of response from Excel when running code which
displays a user form. There is a fix listed with the article, which I
have applied without a cure being achieved.
Q235107 reports Excel errors which may occur when assigning an object
variable to an object, then setting the object variable to 'Nothing'
when you've finished with it. Some of my code does do this, so I
removed all such references and tried again. Again, Excel died on me.

We have applied the latest service pack in case there is a fix
somewhere that we've missed and this didn't help either.

Any further suggestions gratefully received!!

Sun, 22 May 2005 18:50:00 GMT

1. Excel 97 VBA vs Excel 2000 VBA

2. Excel 2000 crashes when running macros created in Excel 97

3. Problem with Excel's VBA: SQLOpen and SQLClose Cause Crash

4. Windows EXCEL VBA / MAC EXCEL VBA compatibility issues

5. VB6 - Excel Export compiled under XP causes crash under W98

6. Import From Excel 2000 with VBA code into Access 97

7. VBA and Fields in Word and Excel 97/2000

8. VBA and Fields in Word and Excel 97/2000

9. VBA and Fields in Word and Excel 97/2000

10. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When App Terminates

11. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When App Terminates

12. Accessing VBIDE.VBE.VBProjects via Excel in VB .NET Causes Excel To Crash When Closed