Format Word.doc before Excel import?
Author Message
 Format Word.doc before Excel import?

Hallo,
I'm an Excel 2000 user 'reasonably' familiar with VB
fundamentals. I'm faced with an increasing need to deal
with a Word 2000 to Excel import problem/opportunity!

I've posted several themed questions in the Excel VBA ng's
without much success, so rather than (possibly) pursue a
fruitless route in Excel, I'm wondering if the problem can
be more successfully tackled at source (ie in Word).

I therefore would be grateful if you good people would
consider the following situation:

Word.doc example:

Row 1:     A     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        5
Row 2:     B     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        10
                 Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Row 3:     C     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        2
                 Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                 Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
                 Dataaaaaaaaa

Excel.xls requirement:

Row 1:     A     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        5
Row 2:     B     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        10
Row 3:           Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Row 4:     C     Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa        2
Row 5:           Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Row 6:           Dataaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Row 7:           Dataaaaaaaaaa

I can copy and paste (non-VB at this stage) into Excel,
and successfully preserve the columns. Thus A, B, C etc
paste into Excel col A, Dataaaaa etc pastes into Excel col
B, and the quantities end up in col C.

Because my Excel worksheet is pre-formatted, Col B has a
fixed width. To enable the Dataaaaaaa to be fully visible,
I turn on wrap text in Excel. This has the effect of
increasing the row height (unacceptable).

Is there a way (in Word) to "split" the Dataaaaaa elements
so that they occupy individual 'cells' within inserted
rows, such that the new Word.doc more closely resembles
the Excel example?

I would be very grateful for any help/pointers.

Many thanks,

Regards.

Sun, 11 Jul 2004 02:52:42 GMT

1. problems formatting an imported excel s-sheet in word 2000

2. reformat word 2000 doc into word 97 format

3. open doc/excel file in frame with Word/Excel menubar

4. Importing Word doc into Access database or Oracle database

5. Importing Word doc into Access database or Oracle database

6. Format A Word Doc with VBA?

7. Print formatting problems -- Using VBA in Access 2000 to print a doc in Word

8. Formatting the data in Word DOC

9. Xml to Word.doc formatting?

10. Xml to Word.doc formatting?

11. How to import an Excel.XLS format

12. Inserting Excel Chart into Word Doc through code