Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
Author Message
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message

Any advice or guidance on this error message please.

I have a PII 400 with 128 MB memory and have recently installed Office 2000
Developer .  We use Access 2000 (9.0.2720) and Visual Basic (VBA 6.0.8435) -
these came with the installation CD's (ie, we have not downloaded any
service packs).

Recently we have been getting some strange errors when working / developing
in Access 2000 - namely, when we (or Access 2000) attempts to open VBA, we
get the message :

Out of Memory

When this happens, there are no resources to look at the help for this error
message.

There is nothing else running on the PC.  We have 13 GB ( 8 GB free,
recently defragged) and also cleaned out Windows Startup to delete any
unnecessary programs form starting up.  Pretty much a bare bones machine
now - but the error keeps on appearing.

We have reloaded Office 2000 - yet the problem contibues.  We are
frustrated.

We have searched Microsoft's knowledge base, Service Packs, and there seems
to be nothing there to help us.

Any advice from any body out there ????????

John Schilt
Sydney, Australia

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
Have you tried to reinstall with the fmcue flags?

< http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0034.htm >

--
Dev Ashish     (http://www.mvps.org/access)

: Any advice or guidance on this error message please.
:
[...]

Thanks Dev,

I will give this a go... however, the only .msi file that I can find is
called  22272.msi in the windows/installer subdirectory.  I cannot read this
file (notepad, wordpad, so it is not in plain text).

Can I run this Setup /fmcue without the .msi file ?

By the way, the out of memory problem started only after I COMPACTed for the
first time in Access 2000 (.mdb file had grown to over 25 MB).

Quote:
> Have you tried to reinstall with the fmcue flags?

> < http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0034.htm >

> --
> Dev Ashish     (http://www.mvps.org/access)

> : Any advice or guidance on this error message please.
> :
> : I have a PII 400 with 128 MB memory and have recently installed Office
> 2000
> : Developer .  We use Access 2000 (9.0.2720) and Visual Basic (VBA
> 6.0.8435) -
> : these came with the installation CD's (ie, we have not downloaded any
> : service packs).
> :
> : Recently we have been getting some strange errors when working /
> developing
> : in Access 2000 - namely, when we (or Access 2000) attempts to open VBA,
we
> : get the message :
> :
> : Out of Memory
> :
> : When this happens, there are no resources to look at the help for this
> error
> : message.
> :
> : There is nothing else running on the PC.  We have 13 GB ( 8 GB free,
> : recently defragged) and also cleaned out Windows Startup to delete any
> : unnecessary programs form starting up.  Pretty much a bare bones machine
> : now - but the error keeps on appearing.
> :
> : We have reloaded Office 2000 - yet the problem contibues.  We are
> : frustrated.
> :
> : We have searched Microsoft's knowledge base, Service Packs, and there
> seems
> : to be nothing there to help us.
> :
> : Any advice from any body out there ????????
> :
> : John Schilt
> : Sydney, Australia
> :
> :

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message

: Thanks Dev,
:
: I will give this a go... however, the only .msi file that I can find is
: called  22272.msi in the windows/installer subdirectory.  I cannot read
this
: file (notepad, wordpad, so it is not in plain text).
:
: Can I run this Setup /fmcue without the .msi file ?

No, MSI needs the config file. The setup.exe mentioned is the one on the O2K
CD. The MSI data file is also on the root folder of the CD.

:
: By the way, the out of memory problem started only after I COMPACTed for
the
: first time in Access 2000 (.mdb file had grown to over 25 MB).
:

  Hmm... Strange. Do you have the same problems getting to the VBE from any
other host (WOrd/Excel etc.)? Does this happen on multiple databases or just
one?

 -- Dev

Thu, 25 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
Dev, many thanks for your advice so far.

I have tried with setup /fmcue data1.msi - which appeared to do a lot on my
machine, and after about 10 minutes, asked for a reboot and seemed to
complete OK.

I opened the .mdb file in question, when straight to a form in Design view,
picked a buttom with an event procedure associated with a click action - and
tried to edit the code - this either :

- does nothing   OR
- gives me an out of memory message

After clicking on out of memory a few times (it will not display any help) I
get back to the form in design view... and can keep on doing anything EXCEPT
if it has anything to do with VBA.

Also, I reconverted the original application .mdb (version 2) to Access 2000
(size is around 5 MB) - and then tried to do similar task (ie, open, design
mode of form , and edit event procedure).   NO PROBLEMS DOING THIS.

Seems to be something wrong with this particular .mdb - I have compacted and
repaired many times... last attempt shrunk the.mdb from 17 MB down to 11 MB.

Not sure If I have mentioned this before - problems seem to have started
after the first COMPACT.

Is there any other COMPACT - REPAIR program that does a more thorough job ?

Bottom line now - We can open .mdb - but any action to do with VBA code
gives an OUT of MEMORY message or ignores the request.  How can we
resurrect/repair this file ?

Other .mdb files seem to have no trouble with VBA coding.\

Comments ? - any advice greatly appreciated...

Quote:
> Have you tried to reinstall with the fmcue flags?

> < http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0034.htm >

> --
> Dev Ashish     (http://www.mvps.org/access)

> : Any advice or guidance on this error message please.
> :
> : I have a PII 400 with 128 MB memory and have recently installed Office
> 2000
> : Developer .  We use Access 2000 (9.0.2720) and Visual Basic (VBA
> 6.0.8435) -
> : these came with the installation CD's (ie, we have not downloaded any
> : service packs).
> :
> : Recently we have been getting some strange errors when working /
> developing
> : in Access 2000 - namely, when we (or Access 2000) attempts to open VBA,
we
> : get the message :
> :
> : Out of Memory
> :
> : When this happens, there are no resources to look at the help for this
> error
> : message.
> :
> : There is nothing else running on the PC.  We have 13 GB ( 8 GB free,
> : recently defragged) and also cleaned out Windows Startup to delete any
> : unnecessary programs form starting up.  Pretty much a bare bones machine
> : now - but the error keeps on appearing.
> :
> : We have reloaded Office 2000 - yet the problem contibues.  We are
> : frustrated.
> :
> : We have searched Microsoft's knowledge base, Service Packs, and there
> seems
> : to be nothing there to help us.
> :
> : Any advice from any body out there ????????
> :
> : John Schilt
> : Sydney, Australia
> :
> :

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
Further information to this problem, for those reading this -

I have taken the specific .mdb that is having problems and tried it on
another machine (laptop with Access 2000).  The SAME ERROR occurs when I try
to look at the code of an event procedure.

All indicators are pointing to a problem in the .mdb file - and the COMPACT
and REPAIR are not doing the job properly.

John Schilt
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
> Have you tried to reinstall with the fmcue flags?

> < http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0034.htm >

> --
> Dev Ashish     (http://www.mvps.org/access)

> : Any advice or guidance on this error message please.
> :
> : I have a PII 400 with 128 MB memory and have recently installed Office
> 2000
> : Developer .  We use Access 2000 (9.0.2720) and Visual Basic (VBA
> 6.0.8435) -
> : these came with the installation CD's (ie, we have not downloaded any
> : service packs).
> :
> : Recently we have been getting some strange errors when working /
> developing
> : in Access 2000 - namely, when we (or Access 2000) attempts to open VBA,
we
> : get the message :
> :
> : Out of Memory
> :
> : When this happens, there are no resources to look at the help for this
> error
> : message.
> :
> : There is nothing else running on the PC.  We have 13 GB ( 8 GB free,
> : recently defragged) and also cleaned out Windows Startup to delete any
> : unnecessary programs form starting up.  Pretty much a bare bones machine
> : now - but the error keeps on appearing.
> :
> : We have reloaded Office 2000 - yet the problem contibues.  We are
> : frustrated.
> :
> : We have searched Microsoft's knowledge base, Service Packs, and there
> seems
> : to be nothing there to help us.
> :
> : Any advice from any body out there ????????
> :
> : John Schilt
> : Sydney, Australia
> :
> :

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message

: Further information to this problem, for those reading this -
:
: I have taken the specific .mdb that is having problems and tried it on
: another machine (laptop with Access 2000).  The SAME ERROR occurs when I
try
: to look at the code of an event procedure.
:
: All indicators are pointing to a problem in the .mdb file - and the
COMPACT
: and REPAIR are not doing the job properly.
:
:
: John Schilt
: Sydney, Australia
:

Have you tried to decompile a COPY of the app?

 "C:\program files\...\msAccess.exe" /decompile "your db.mdb"

 -- Dev

Fri, 26 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
I have run into this problem many times too.

My solution was to create a new mdb and import all objects into it.

it fixed the problem.

I also find after i have had outlook open, that even if i close it, i still
can get an out of memory error.  After a fresh re-boot, without opening
outlook first, i can then enter  VBA.

I thought the problem was associated with the 16bit heaps in Win98 not
releasing after closing other programs.

I am looking forward to working with NT/2000 to see if the error still
occurs.

Sat, 27 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
Dev.

I have tried to /decompile - but it made no difference.

I am convinced that there is something rotten or seriously wrong with the
.mdb - and needs to be fixed.

We may try James's advice and create a new .mdb and see what happens - not
looking forward to this as we have < 25 tables, < 100 queries, > 50 forms, >
50 reports and lots of macros i thaknfully only 4 modules.

Thanks - I shall investigate further - try to report problem to Microsoft -
see if they have anything to say.

Anything I fond out, I shall report in this newsgroup !!

Quote:

> : Further information to this problem, for those reading this -
> :
> : I have taken the specific .mdb that is having problems and tried it on
> : another machine (laptop with Access 2000).  The SAME ERROR occurs when I
> try
> : to look at the code of an event procedure.
> :
> : All indicators are pointing to a problem in the .mdb file - and the
> COMPACT
> : and REPAIR are not doing the job properly.
> :
> :
> : John Schilt
> : Sydney, Australia
> :

> Have you tried to decompile a COPY of the app?

>  "C:\program files\...\msAccess.exe" /decompile "your db.mdb"

>  -- Dev

Sun, 28 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Basic 'Out of memory' message
John,

I have come across this type of error as well and read somewhere on the MS
knowledge base (sorry can't remember which article) that this can occur
when you use an image for the background of a form. The article suggested
removing the image during development then putting it back once finished!

I did this and the error ceased during development, but still occurs
sometimes when the database is being used in operation. I have now removed
the image altogether. The image I used was tiled.

Sue

Quote:

?

> Bottom line now - We can open .mdb - but any action to do with VBA code
> gives an OUT of MEMORY message or ignores the request.  How can we
> resurrect/repair this file ?

> Other .mdb files seem to have no trouble with VBA coding.\

> Comments ? - any advice greatly appreciated...

> > Have you tried to reinstall with the fmcue flags?

> > < http://www.mvps.org/access/bugs/bugs0034.htm >

> > --
> > Dev Ashish     (http://www.mvps.org/access)

> > : Any advice or guidance on this error message please.
> > :
> > : I have a PII 400 with 128 MB memory and have recently installed
Office
> > 2000
> > : Developer .  We use Access 2000 (9.0.2720) and Visual Basic (VBA
> > 6.0.8435) -
> > : these came with the installation CD's (ie, we have not downloaded any
> > : service packs).
> > :
> > : Recently we have been getting some strange errors when working /
> > developing
> > : in Access 2000 - namely, when we (or Access 2000) attempts to open
VBA,
> we
> > : get the message :
> > :
> > : Out of Memory
> > :
> > : When this happens, there are no resources to look at the help for
this
> > error
> > : message.
> > :
> > : There is nothing else running on the PC.  We have 13 GB ( 8 GB free,
> > : recently defragged) and also cleaned out Windows Startup to delete
any
> > : unnecessary programs form starting up.  Pretty much a bare bones
machine
> > : now - but the error keeps on appearing.
> > :
> > : We have reloaded Office 2000 - yet the problem contibues.  We are
> > : frustrated.
> > :
> > : We have searched Microsoft's knowledge base, Service Packs, and there
> > seems
> > : to be nothing there to help us.
> > :
> > : Any advice from any body out there ????????
> > :
> > : John Schilt
> > : Sydney, Australia
> > :
> > :

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Visual Basic using unsolicited messages to access PLC's

2. 'Poke'ing and 'peek'ing other process's memory in VB6

3. Visual Basic 6.0 Can't Get My ICON's to work

4. ANN: Mabry's Visual Basic Programmer's Guide to Serial Communications, 3rd Edition

5. HELP: 'poke' for Visual BASIC

6. Visual Basic Programmer's Journal 1997 Reader's Choice Award

7. Visual Basic Programmer's Journal 1997 Reader's Choice Award

8. Visual Basic Programmer's Journal 1997 Reader's Choice Award

9. Visual Basic Programmer's Journal 1997 Reader's Choice Award

10. Visual Basic / Crystal Reports : Problème d'affichage de l'état

11. Looking: Dan Appleman's Visual Basic 5.0 Programmer's Guide To The Win32 API

12. Visual Basic 5.0 .EXE's and the various DLL's it needs