Query Against Access DB over the Web
Author Message
 Query Against Access DB over the Web

We have an Access database on the web.  Queries are coded in Active Server
Pages and execute based on criteria submitted from the client's browser.

Some of the queries are rather complex and involve joins on several tables.
The resulting SQL statement is rather long and tedious to contsruct.  If
this were SQL Server I could create a view and query off of it.  However, I
don't know how I can do something comparable in Access.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this?

Also, Does Access/JET have a limit on the size of the string that can be
submitted as a SQL statement?  For some reason 255 characters sticks in my
mind.

Thanks,
Dave

Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Query Against Access DB over the Web
You can treat a pre-defined Select Query in Access as essentially equivalent
to a SQL Server View for this purpose.  Just create a query with all of the
joins and save it, then construct your SQL statement in ASP using the query
name.

I think the 255 character limit (it sticks in my mind too) is only related
to the WHERE clause, not to the complete SQL statement.  If there is a limit
on the overall size of the query, it's much larger than that.

HTH,
Glenn

Quote:
>Some of the queries are rather complex and involve joins on several tables.
>The resulting SQL statement is rather long and tedious to contsruct.  If
>this were SQL Server I could create a view and query off of it.  However, I
>don't know how I can do something comparable in Access.

>Does anyone have any ideas on how to approach this?

>Also, Does Access/JET have a limit on the size of the string that can be
>submitted as a SQL statement?  For some reason 255 characters sticks in my
>mind.

>Thanks,
>Dave

Sat, 16 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Authenticating txtPassword.Text against Access DB

2. VB against Access/dB

3. Recorset.Filter using wildcards against an Access DB

4. Recorset.Filter using wildcards against an Access DB

5. ADO to Access DB, DB is closed on second query

6. Accessing Access DB over the web

7. compare text file against db records

8. Rollback against Oracle db

9. Crystal against Ingres db

10. DAO lock problem, ADO seek problem against Jet db

11. Newcomer: Filtering a dropdown list against another on a web page

12. web based access dB question