shared database on NT
Author Message
 shared database on NT

Are there any settings (which and where) in either Microsoft file sharing
and/or Windows NT server that control cached writes/reads, that might affect
an Access database?

I know the Novell Client has the "opportunistic locking" (or "file commit" I
think it is in the Win2k/NT client) that can cause this to happen, but don't
know if there is a similar setting in a Windows/Windows NT server
environment.

I have a split database, front end is .mde file, and the client (we just did
the split yesterday) says that "seems like the only way to make
(the database) update is to close the database on the machine that inputted
data into the system" before another workstation sees the changes.

We are using temp tables (see other thread if interested) and not queries
directly agains the tables, so I'm not asking about a form view with a query
as source, where changes may take a bit to update.  This is "extract data to
temp table, edit temp contents via form, write changes back to database."

--
Bill

PhotoSourceFolio webmaster
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sun, 14 Mar 2004 06:16:01 GMT
 shared database on NT
JET caches data in the JET cache.  This should take about 5 seconds
to update (provided you haven't changed the default values)

Also, the windows network client caches data.  This 'should'
be cleared as soon as another client tries to access the data.

There is a switch for disabling the distributed file system at the client
end, but I don't think it works in most versions of the client(s)
There is a switch for disabling the distributed file system from the
NT server:

From Q296264

  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

  EnableOplocks REG_DWORD 0

But what you describe should not be happening, even with the
distributed file system enabled.

(david)

Quote:

> Are there any settings (which and where) in either Microsoft file sharing
> and/or Windows NT server that control cached writes/reads, that might affect
> an Access database?

> I know the Novell Client has the "opportunistic locking" (or "file commit" I
> think it is in the Win2k/NT client) that can cause this to happen, but don't
> know if there is a similar setting in a Windows/Windows NT server
> environment.

> I have a split database, front end is .mde file, and the client (we just did
> the split yesterday) says that "seems like the only way to make
> (the database) update is to close the database on the machine that inputted
> data into the system" before another workstation sees the changes.

> We are using temp tables (see other thread if interested) and not queries
> directly agains the tables, so I'm not asking about a form view with a query
> as source, where changes m

ay take a bit to update.  This is "extract data to

> temp table, edit temp contents via form, write changes back to database."

> --
> Bill

> PhotoSourceFolio webmaster
> http://www.photosourcefolio.com

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:49:08 GMT
 shared database on NT
Thanks for the info. Don't believe any default values have been changed.

I've asked the client to "retest" the situation and be sure it's not
something else they're seeing or expecting to see. :-)

--
Bill

PhotoSourceFolio webmaster
http://www.photosourcefolio.com

Quote:
> JET caches data in the JET cache.  This should take about 5 seconds
> to update (provided you haven't changed the default values)

> Also, the windows network client caches data.  This 'should'
> be cleared as soon as another client tries to access the data.

> There is a switch for disabling the distributed file system at the client
> end, but I don't think it works in most versions of the client(s)
> There is a switch for disabling the distributed file system from the
> NT server:

> From Q296264

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
Quote:

>   EnableOplocks REG_DWORD 0

> But what you describe should not be happening, even with the
> distributed file system enabled.

> (david)

Quote:
> > Are there any settings (which and where) in either Microsoft file
sharing
> > and/or Windows NT server that control cached writes/reads, that might
affect
> > an Access database?

> > I know the Novell Client has the "opportunistic locking" (or "file
commit" I
> > think it is in the Win2k/NT client) that can cause this to happen, but
don't
> > know if there is a similar setting in a Windows/Windows NT server
> > environment.

> > I have a split database, front end is .mde file, and the client (we just
did
> > the split yesterday) says that "seems like the only way to make
> > (the database) update is to close the database on the machine that
inputted
> > data into the system" before another workstation sees the changes.

> > We are using temp tables (see other thread if interested) and not
queries
> > directly agains the tables, so I'm not asking about a form view with a
query
> > as source, where changes m

> ay take a bit to update.  This is "extract data to
> > temp table, edit temp contents via form, write changes back to
database."

> > --
> > Bill

> > PhotoSourceFolio webmaster
> > http://www.photosourcefolio.com

Mon, 15 Mar 2004 14:17:57 GMT

1. Map and disconnect NT shares via code?

2. Shared memory under Windows NT

3. Shared NT Folder help please.

4. Windows NT file sharing...

5. NT - Shared DB

6. Share a drive under NT?

7. sharing files programmatically under NT with VB

8. Adding Local Groups (NT) to share

9. ???? HOW TO ACCESS NT SHARING ????

10. Accessing Windows NT Sharing

11. Display another name for share in NT explorer ?

12. VB4&5/Windows NT file sharing problem?