Access on a Linux server
Author Message
 Access on a Linux server

I have just delivered a very simple Access XP application to a client, its
main job is to import numerous spreadsheet lists into one table for mining,
clean up data and remove duplicates. This runs quick on a standard PC, we
installed it onto a server with the required spreadsheets and it ran really
slow (to my horror).

It turns out the server is a Linux box - has anyone had experience for
running databases on this OS and would they run slow?

All comments welcome

Cheers  - Phil

Fri, 06 May 2005 13:33:48 GMT
 Access on a Linux server
Well, you don't know if it is the server, or you application do you?.

We get daily posts about people who have an application running on a local
PC, and then place it on a network, and it runs slow.

In other words, a network is much slower than a local hard disk. If there
was no difference, then we would never install applications on pc's, and
never bother with installing a hard disk on each pc either!

However, there are number of things that does cause ms-access to perform
poorly in *addition* to poor designs. In other words, read up the following
check list, and see if any apply to you. If After you exhaust the list, and
the application still performs slowly, then you will have to look at your
design.

If after you check the above list, then you need to make sure your
application is optimized, and is built to reduce network traffic as much as
possible. (for example, it has been years since I have opened a form with no
where clause. To simply open a form that is bound to a table with no where
clause is for example a very poor design).

As for using ms-access on "samba" (which is a windows share on Linux), there
have been some warnings, and you may have to look at op locks settings.

Remember, Word, Excel etc are simply files. Ms-access is a database system
than can run across a network, and thus the technology cannot be treaded
lightly here. Database stuff takes much more skill, and knowledge to run.

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Fri, 06 May 2005 13:52:08 GMT
 Access on a Linux server
Albert

What list are you talking about?

Phil

Quote:
> Well, you don't know if it is the server, or you application do you?.

> We get daily posts about people who have an application running on a local
> PC, and then place it on a network, and it runs slow.

> In other words, a network is much slower than a local hard disk. If there
> was no difference, then we would never install applications on pc's, and
> never bother with installing a hard disk on each pc either!

> However, there are number of things that does cause ms-access to perform
> poorly in *addition* to poor designs. In other words, read up the
following
> check list, and see if any apply to you. If After you exhaust the list,
and
> the application still performs slowly, then you will have to look at your
> design.

> If after you check the above list, then you need to make sure your
> application is optimized, and is built to reduce network traffic as much
as
> possible. (for example, it has been years since I have opened a form with
no
> where clause. To simply open a form that is bound to a table with no where
> clause is for example a very poor design).

> As for using ms-access on "samba" (which is a windows share on Linux),
there
> have been some warnings, and you may have to look at op locks settings.

> Remember, Word, Excel etc are simply files. Ms-access is a database system
> than can run across a network, and thus the technology cannot be treaded
> lightly here. Database stuff takes much more skill, and knowledge to run.

> --
> Albert D. Kallal
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Sat, 07 May 2005 18:02:14 GMT
 Access on a Linux server
Gee, my newsreader missed this...sorry.

The list is:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/a2kslow.htm

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Fri, 13 May 2005 01:52:46 GMT

1. Access 97 stored on Linux/Samba server?

2. socket access from visual basic client to linux server

3. Linux new langauge : Was ANNOUNCE Linux BASIC

4. Running .exe programs on Redhat Linux servers

5. Advice Wanted on VB with Linux DB Server

6. vb5 client - linux C server

7. ASP on Linux server?

8. Send data on a linux server withour using FTP

9. vb client - linux C server

10. client/server vb5 apps w/Linux

11. Copy File to Linux Server

12. VB.Net remote data access(linux)