Problem importing a text file to a linked table in Access 2000
Author Message
 Problem importing a text file to a linked table in Access 2000

Hello out there --

I converted a database from Access 97 to Access 2000 a while ago.
The conversion went fine - everything came over with no error messages.

I'm discovering the changes that Access underwent between 97 and 2000,
and the one I need help with is this:

When I do a File/Get External Data/Import in order to import (in my
case) a text file, everything works fine until I get to the screen where
I select which table to import the data into.

The linked tables are not in the list - I cannot import to a linked
table.

I was able to in Access 97 - the linked tables appeared in the drop down
list.

However, if I do it in Access 2000 programatically, I can (as follows):

DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "TEST Import Spec", "tbl_TEST",
"C:\test.txt" where tbl_TEST is a linked table.

Is there something obvious I'm missing . . . ? I have repaired/compacted
the database, but I had little hope that that would fix the problem, and
it didn't.

If you want to import text data to a linked table in Access 2000, can it
only be done programatically?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks -

Carl Imthurn

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 01:58:58 GMT
 Problem importing a text file to a linked table in Access 2000
This is a known problem with Access 2000 as described in "ACC2000: Linked
Tables Not in the List of Tables to Import into" at:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q258/4/29.ASP

Quote:
> Hello out there --

> I converted a database from Access 97 to Access 2000 a while ago.
> The conversion went fine - everything came over with no error messages.

> I'm discovering the changes that Access underwent between 97 and 2000,
> and the one I need help with is this:

> When I do a File/Get External Data/Import in order to import (in my
> case) a text file, everything works fine until I get to the screen where
> I select which table to import the data into.

> The linked tables are not in the list - I cannot import to a linked
> table.

> I was able to in Access 97 - the linked tables appeared in the drop down
> list.

> However, if I do it in Access 2000 programatically, I can (as follows):

> DoCmd.TransferText acImportFixed, "TEST Import Spec", "tbl_TEST",
> "C:\test.txt" where tbl_TEST is a linked table.

> Is there something obvious I'm missing . . . ? I have repaired/compacted
> the database, but I had little hope that that would fix the problem, and
> it didn't.

> If you want to import text data to a linked table in Access 2000, can it
> only be done programatically?

> Any help will be appreciated.

> Thanks -

> Carl Imthurn

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 03:11:59 GMT
 Problem importing a text file to a linked table in Access 2000
Thanks Brian - I appreciate your response.

I was searching for a Knowledge Base article, but was unable to find the one
you pointed me to.

Thanks again for your help --

Carl

Quote:

> This is a known problem with Access 2000 as described in "ACC2000: Linked
> Tables Not in the List of Tables to Import into" at:

> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q258/4/29.ASP

Wed, 08 Sep 2004 03:55:01 GMT

1. Import Text file into Access 2000 table

2. Importing an Access 2000 table into another Access 2000 database with VB Code

3. Linking Access 2000 Table to Outlook 2000 Tasks

4. HELP!!..accessing access 2000 with linked SQL Server tables

5. Creating Tables in Access 2000 using SQL Text files

6. replace function quirk when importing text file to Access table

7. Importing text files to an Access table

8. Importing a text file to a access table using VB6

9. Importing Text file to Access Table in Visual Basic 5.0

10. Importing a text file into an Access table

11. Import a text file to Access Table

12. How to Import text file into access table