Reference mystery
Author Message
 Reference mystery

I built a .mdb (not split) on a file server from an NT4 box. When users on
Win98 boxes opened it they got various error messages caused by the fact
that no query with criteria would run. I looked at references on each Win98
box clearing checks for any reference labeled "missing" and unchecking and
rechecking DAO and ADO references. Afterwards every query ran when the mdb
was opened on the Win98 boxes but then not on my NT box. I unchecked and
rechecked references on the NT box and for the moment everything works. I
check all articles in the kb with no explanation found. Why was the NT box
affected by changes on the Win98 boxes? All PCs have a variant of 2.1 mdac.
Does mdac affect DAO or just ADO?

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 01:58:43 GMT
 Reference mystery
Hi,
If you open an mdb that is sitting on a server and change the references,
this
affects everyone else who opens it, because everyone is using the
same mdb. The changes you made were to the file on the server, it
has nothing to do with the win98 boxes.

You might think about splitting it and allowing everyone to
have a copy of the front end on their machine.

HTH
Dan Artuso, MVP

Quote:
> I built a .mdb (not split) on a file server from an NT4 box. When users on
> Win98 boxes opened it they got various error messages caused by the fact
> that no query with criteria would run. I looked at references on each
Win98
> box clearing checks for any reference labeled "missing" and unchecking and
> rechecking DAO and ADO references. Afterwards every query ran when the mdb
> was opened on the Win98 boxes but then not on my NT box. I unchecked and
> rechecked references on the NT box and for the moment everything works. I
> check all articles in the kb with no explanation found. Why was the NT box
> affected by changes on the Win98 boxes? All PCs have a variant of 2.1
mdac.
> Does mdac affect DAO or just ADO?

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:01:25 GMT
 Reference mystery
Dan,
At the moment this 97 database will be used daily by 3 or 4 people, probably
1 at a time and I will be adding forms and reports for a while and planned
to split when finished. If I split it now wouldn't each front end upgrade
recreate the same reference conflict? I thought I might solve this by
downloading the same mdac on each PC but noticed that mdac info only refers
to ADO. Oddly we have several Access 97databases in use from the same
server including a couple created on another NT box in use by the same Win98
boxes without any reference conflicts. The reference library versions are
identical (DAO 3.51 etc) on all PCs. I only find variants within mdac 2.1
when I use the mdac analyser.
Thanks for the input.

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 03:25:04 GMT
 Reference mystery
Hi Steve,
Is everything running okay at the moment?
If it is, just split later.

Yes, you are right, you will have to address each
reference problem on an individual basis.

This link will give you more info:
http://members.rogers.com/douglas.j.steele/AccessReferenceErrors.html

HTH
Dan Artuso, MVP

Quote:
> Dan,
> At the moment this 97 database will be used daily by 3 or 4 people,
probably
> 1 at a time and I will be adding forms and reports for a while and planned
> to split when finished. If I split it now wouldn't each front end upgrade
> recreate the same reference conflict? I thought I might solve this by
> downloading the same mdac on each PC but noticed that mdac info only
refers
> to ADO. Oddly we have several Access 97databases in use from the same
> server including a couple created on another NT box in use by the same
Win98
> boxes without any reference conflicts. The reference library versions are
> identical (DAO 3.51 etc) on all PCs. I only find variants within mdac 2.1
> when I use the mdac analyser.
> Thanks for the input.

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 04:00:29 GMT
 Reference mystery
Dan is right.  The reason it works on 98 OR NT but not
both at the same time is be that the files or objects
referenced are in different locations on the different
operating systems.  You could try to ensure all the
references point explicitly to server files, not files on
the client PC.

Rob

Quote:

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 21:46:01 GMT
 Reference mystery
So...I would have to find, say, the file for DAO references on one PC, copy
it to the server and browse to that server file from inside a module on the
tools/references dialogue on each affected PC?
Thanks for the help.

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 02:43:09 GMT
 Reference mystery
No, DAO is installed to Program Files, Common Files, Microsoft Shared, DAO
in order to avoid problems like this.  Check that the versions are the same on
all PC's.

VBA is installed to Program Files, Common Files, Microsoft Shared, VBA
check the files there also.

MDAC 2.1-2.5 include versions of DAO - as does some Win Versions.
Install MDAC 2.5 on all PC's, then the latest JET upgrade.

What referenced files are you using? Open a code module, then Tools,
references, and make a list of the references you are using.  Any version
problem in any of them could cause a problem

(david)

Quote:

> So...I would have to find, say, the file for DAO references on one PC, copy
> it to the server and browse to that server file from inside a module on the
> tools/references dialogue on each affected PC?
> Thanks for the help.

Sat, 07 Aug 2004 11:23:49 GMT
 Reference mystery
Thanks for the info.
All versions of all refs are same on all PCs except that "sub-number" of
Mdac2.1 varies. Biggest mystery is that on some PCs the Snapshot viewer
reference "self checks" with the word "MISSING" inserted between the check
box and the reference name. When this happens on a PC that user cannot open
any form that uses a query with criteria. Uncheck the Snapshot viewer
reference and all is well. To my knowledge no one uses Snapshot viewer. I
copied the database to my home PC and got the MISSING Snapshot reference the
first time I opened a form, then it never appeared again.

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 01:22:31 GMT
 Reference mystery

Quote:
> reference "self checks" with the word "MISSING" inserted between the check

THAT is bizarre
Quote:

> Thanks for the info.
> All versions of all refs are same on all PCs except that "sub-number" of
> Mdac2.1 varies. Biggest mystery is that on some PCs the Snapshot viewer
> reference "self checks" with the word "MISSING" inserted between the check
> box and the reference name. When this happens on a PC that user cannot open
> any form that uses a query with criteria. Uncheck the Snapshot viewer
> reference and all is well. To my knowledge no one uses Snapshot viewer. I
> copied the database to my home PC and got the MISSING Snapshot reference the
> first time I opened a form, then it never appeared again.

Sun, 15 Aug 2004 08:01:26 GMT

1. Mystery References

2. Error 2501 A mystery to me!

3. Mystery type error

4. filesearch Mystery--Help Needed

5. Linking DBF file Mystery??

6. Mysteries of the IMP Operator

7. Mystery Event Hole

8. MYSTERY SOLVED: Updating user form field's default text

9. Range selection mystery

10. Form Field Jump Mysteries.....

11. Active Directory connection mystery

12. 4.3.3 Shadowing - A complete and utter mystery to me