Acc97: Specifying /CMD parameter when opening database via open dialog
Author Message
 Acc97: Specifying /CMD parameter when opening database via open dialog

I'm running Access97.

I have an application that takes in a command line parameter via /CMD
on the command line.

This is working great for production use, because I code the /CMD
value in the Properties for the shortcut for the program.

However in testing, we normally open the program via the Open dialog.
I know I can change the /CMD value under Tools | Options | Advanced,
however, this parameter is used in a procedure executed at open time
via Autoexec. So by the time I can get to the Tools section, the code
has already executed. Additionally, if I forget to clean out the Tools
option, its get copied back at production time.

It would really be great to be able to specify the /CMD parameter when
opening the database via the open dialog. Is there any way to do this?

Thanks.
------------------
Denny Pasternak
FDC - Teleservices
Omaha, NE

Thu, 05 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Acc97: Specifying /CMD parameter when opening database via open dialog

Quote:
>It would really be great to be able to specify the /CMD parameter when
>opening the database via the open dialog. Is there any way to do this?

No. I can think of a couple of workarounds though. You could have code
in an autoexec macro, or the 'startup form' which tests whether or not
the command line parameters were supplied. If they were not, pop up a
form to accept them. This would actually be pretty handy for testing
as well, since you wouldn't have to dink around with shortcuts all the
time.

-- Jim Ferguson, FMS
   http://www.fmsinc.com

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Acc97: Specifying /CMD parameter when opening database via open dialog

Quote:

>>It would really be great to be able to specify the /CMD parameter when
>>opening the database via the open dialog. Is there any way to do this?

>No. I can think of a couple of workarounds though. You could have code
>in an autoexec macro, or the 'startup form' which tests whether or not
>the command line parameters were supplied. If they were not, pop up a
>form to accept them. This would actually be pretty handy for testing
>as well, since you wouldn't have to dink around with shortcuts all the
>time.

>-- Jim Ferguson, FMS
>   http://www.fmsinc.com

Great minds must think alike. That's very close to what I ended up
doing. If there is no Command value I display a MsgBox with a Yes, No,
Cancel option.

I appreciate the feedback.

------------------
Denny Pasternak
FDC - Teleservices
Omaha, NE

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Bounding Datalist with Rs via Open or Rs via cmd.execute

2. Please Help opening a database via common dialog

3. database connection remain open if opened via recordset

4. Open Dialog Boxes, difference in Acc95 and Acc97.

5. Saving open file and opening new file at a specified time of day

6. Acc97 Error 3048: Can't open any more databases

7. How to specify a database file to open at runtime

8. Open a file open dialog in Project

9. How to just open the Open dialog box?

10. Open a Save/Open-dialog

11. Open Multiselect Open dialog box

12. opening a browse or file open dialog