Very strange text import problem
Author Message
 Very strange text import problem

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I am importing data from a fixed width text file using a saved text
import specification. The field that is giving me problems is being
pulled in as a date field. Some of the data from the text file is
garbage, such as:

000000 or
999999

Access 97 automatically sets these to "Null", which is just fine for my
purposes. However, when it encounters a date that is only sort of wrong,
such as (these are in YMD order, btw):

891200 or
760700

instead of setting the incoming value to "Null", it pulls the value from
the previous record. That is, if the date field contains 891200 and the
previous record's date field contains 890327, it sets the field to
3/27/1989 instead of "Null".  Weird, or what?

Any help will be very appreciated!!

-Erika Sparks

Sat, 16 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Very strange text import problem
Better import this as a text field, and convert later.
--
Dr.Ruud
Quote:
>I am importing data from a fixed width text file using a saved text
>import specification. The field that is giving me problems is being
>pulled in as a date field. Some of the data from the text file is
>garbage, such as:

>000000 or
>999999

>Access 97 automatically sets these to "Null", which is just fine for my
>purposes. However, when it encounters a date that is only sort of wrong,
>such as (these are in YMD order, btw):

>891200 or
>760700

>instead of setting the incoming value to "Null", it pulls the value from
>the previous record. That is, if the date field contains 891200 and the
>previous record's date field contains 890327, it sets the field to
>3/27/1989 instead of "Null".  Weird, or what?

Mon, 18 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. V7 Strange behavior after text import.

2. A strange problem with importing TLB

3. Text Box update problem ... Strange

4. strange text printing problem

5. Import Text Problem - Why is Extension Rejected?

6. Problem importing a text file to a linked table in Access 2000

7. Text Import Problem

8. TEXT Import/Export Problem

9. Problem importing text file and searching for strings

10. Problem Importing Text File into Recordset

11. Problem with importing lines of Text

12. import word text to VB text