Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Author Message
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?

Hi,

We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that it's
quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE with as
an add on!

The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts. Ah  - but
hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see you can
Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration. After,
all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook so
that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts Public
folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to documents
stored with STS?

Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would be
very interesting.

Chris

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 08:13:09 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Integration with Outlook/Exchage would rock!! I'd even be willing to pay for
that type of integration. At a minimum, ability to synch calendars and
contacts in Outlook with SPTS. Also, ability to enter recurring events in
SPTS much.

Ed Lee

Quote:
> Hi,

> We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that it's
> quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE with
as
> an add on!

> The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts. Ah  -
but
> hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see you
can
> Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration.
After,
> all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

> Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook so
> that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts Public
> folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to documents
> stored with STS?

> Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would be
> very interesting.

> Chris

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 09:17:18 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Thoughts:

I see SPTS mainly as a single searchable source of documents.

I therefore don't regard having contacts or the like included in SPTS as
having any value at all given that we already have Exchange/Outlook.

I.e. my own personal view about coupling Exch/Outlook with SPTS is "why
bother ?"

Mike Walsh
Helsinki
Finland

Quote:
> Hi,

> We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that it's
> quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE with
as
> an add on!

> The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts. Ah  -
but
> hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see you
can
> Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration.
After,
> all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

> Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook so
> that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts Public
> folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to documents
> stored with STS?

> Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would be
> very interesting.

> Chris

Mon, 02 Aug 2004 19:02:49 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Exch/Outlook is fine when all team members are connected through a common
network or system.  However, for those of us that need to have a central
point of information for team members that are scattered throughout the
world and are on different types of networks (not always Exchange), SPTS is
a great solution.  What would make it even better is integration with
Outlook.  I particularly would love to see tasks integrated.

Bruce
Newtown, CT USA

Quote:
> Thoughts:

> I see SPTS mainly as a single searchable source of documents.

> I therefore don't regard having contacts or the like included in SPTS as
> having any value at all given that we already have Exchange/Outlook.

> I.e. my own personal view about coupling Exch/Outlook with SPTS is "why
> bother ?"

> Mike Walsh
> Helsinki
> Finland

> > Hi,

> > We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that
it's
> > quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE with
> as
> > an add on!

> > The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts. Ah  -
> but
> > hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see you
> can
> > Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration.
> After,
> > all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

> > Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook so
> > that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts Public
> > folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to
documents
> > stored with STS?

> > Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would
be
> > very interesting.

> > Chris

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 00:46:58 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Because, when you have documents in a library, the whole point is that you
can then find them!

You could add a document to a library assign it a "Contact" from the
hopefully linked contact with Exchange. I assume it would then be possible
to search for all document across folders that are linked with that contact!

Of course because they are linked, you wouldn't have to worry about updates
or adding contact info twice!

Similarly with Appointment/calendar event. Pertinent document could be link
with those. The possibilities could be astonishing me thinks - without the
need to go to the expense of SPS and another server.

I am looking from the SBS 2000 point of view (our major client area) were
one server is normally classed as one server two many by a lot of small
business!

Chris

Quote:
> Thoughts:

> I see SPTS mainly as a single searchable source of documents.

> I therefore don't regard having contacts or the like included in SPTS as
> having any value at all given that we already have Exchange/Outlook.

> I.e. my own personal view about coupling Exch/Outlook with SPTS is "why
> bother ?"

> Mike Walsh
> Helsinki
> Finland

> > Hi,

> > We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that
it's
> > quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE with
> as
> > an add on!

> > The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts. Ah  -
> but
> > hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see you
> can
> > Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration.
> After,
> > all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

> > Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook so
> > that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts Public
> > folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to
documents
> > stored with STS?

> > Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would
be
> > very interesting.

> > Chris

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 03:18:06 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
Interesting thought. Again only an opinion but I have found so far that I
don't really care who wrote a document (Contact) but what it contains, and
that provided the document has been provided with sufficient meta-data and
assigned to the right document library it can be found when you want to find
it.

Mike Walsh

Quote:
> Because, when you have documents in a library, the whole point is that you
> can then find them!

> You could add a document to a library assign it a "Contact" from the
> hopefully linked contact with Exchange. I assume it would then be possible
> to search for all document across folders that are linked with that
contact!

> Of course because they are linked, you wouldn't have to worry about
updates
> or adding contact info twice!

> Similarly with Appointment/calendar event. Pertinent document could be
link
> with those. The possibilities could be astonishing me thinks - without the
> need to go to the expense of SPS and another server.

> I am looking from the SBS 2000 point of view (our major client area) were
> one server is normally classed as one server two many by a lot of small
> business!

> Chris

> > Thoughts:

> > I see SPTS mainly as a single searchable source of documents.

> > I therefore don't regard having contacts or the like included in SPTS as
> > having any value at all given that we already have Exchange/Outlook.

> > I.e. my own personal view about coupling Exch/Outlook with SPTS is "why
> > bother ?"

> > Mike Walsh
> > Helsinki
> > Finland

> > > Hi,

> > > We are just beginning to look at STS and first impressions seem that
> it's
> > > quite a rounded solution for small groups - especially as it's FREE
with
> > as
> > > an add on!

> > > The are some natty features such as team calendaring and contacts.
h  -
> > but
> > > hold on a minute - doesn't Outlook and Exchange also do this. I see
you
> > can
> > > Import certain item into STS but this does not give true integration.
> > After,
> > > all changes in one place do not then get reflected.

> > > Has anyone started looking into integrating STS with Exchange/Outlook
so
> > > that say contacts in STS could be linked to an Exchange Contacts
Public
> > > folder store. Then the same contacts from Outlook could link to
> documents
> > > stored with STS?

> > > Any thoughts on this subject and whether the STS SDK covers this would
> be
> > > very interesting.

> > > Chris

Tue, 03 Aug 2004 13:52:29 GMT
 Has anyone looked at codeing Outlook/Exchange with Sharepoint Team Services?
My idea is not that you can search by who wrote a document, but you can
assign different "Contacts" to the document about whom it is concerned. For
instance, you have several folders containing Reports, Letters and Faxes.
With these stored you can assign a number of different meta data to each
document concerning the project, person or Company for whom the document is
intended. Of course linking this with the main contact store which is say,
kept in a public folder would be highly useful. (Linking with Outlook
categories may also be desirable but how easy this would be to do I have not
even though about!).

You could then search for all documents concerning Company X (either from
Outlook or SPTS) and return the result across multiple folders or stores.

I believe this is what the daddy version (SPS) can do out of the box, but
mentioned a little of an overkill for company with say 10 employees!

This is just one idea but I can't see that this should be just the limit. To
be able to query a document store from either place or somehow build SPTS
into an Outlook Digital Dash may be a very cool way forward!!!

Further comments welcome - remember these are just ideas and we also hope to
start looking into these possibilities soon.

Chris

Quote:
> Interesting thought. Again only an opinion but I have found so far that I
> don't really care who wrote a document (Contact) but what it contains, and
> that provided the document has been provided with sufficient meta-data and
> assigned to the right document library it can be found when you want to
find
> it.

> Mike Walsh

> > Because, when you have documents in a library, the whole point is that
you
> > can then find them!

> > You could add a document to a library assign it a "Contact" from the
> > hopefully linked contact with Exchange. I assume it would then be
possible
> > to search for all document across folders that are linked with that
> contact!

> > Of course because they are linked, you wouldn't have to worry about
> updates
> > or adding contact info twice!

> > Similarly with Appointment/calendar event. Pertinent document could be
> link
> > with those. The possibilities could be astonishing me thinks - without
the
> > need to go to the expense of SPS and another server.

> > I am looking from the SBS 2000 point of view (our major client area)
were
> > one server is normally classed as one server two many by a lot of small
> > business!

> > Chris

> > > Thoughts:

> > > I see SPTS mainly as a single searchable source of documents.

> > > I therefore don't regard having contacts or the like included in SPTS
as
> > > having any value at all given that we already have Exchange/Outlook.

> > > I.e. my own personal view about coupling Exch/Outlook with SPTS is
"why
> > > bother ?"

> > > Mike Walsh
> > > Helsinki
> > > Finland

> > it's
> with
> > > as

> h  -
> > > but
> you
> > > can
> > > After,

Exchange/Outlook
> so
> Public
> > documents

> > be

Thu, 05 Aug 2004 03:06:32 GMT

1. Viewing my outlook calendar in frontpage / team services

2. Looking for about codeing loops w/vba.

3. Looking for way to Move and Delete e-mails in Outlook/Exchange

4. Publishing .doc file on Team Services document library

5. Save to Word From Team services

6. OFFTOPIC: Anyone knows a good personal Knowledge Base for a team of developers

7. OFFTOPIC: Anyone knows a good personal Knowledge Base for a team of developers

8. I am looking to build a team of computer professionals in Northern New Jersey or NYC

9. I am looking to build a team of computer professionals in Northern New Jersey or NYC

10. I am looking to build a team of computer professionals in Northern New Jersey or NYC

11. I am looking to build a team of computer professionals in Northern New Jersey or NYC

12. I am looking to build a team of computer professionals in Northern New Jersey or NYC