Keybindings work *within* dialogs??
Author Message
 Keybindings work *within* dialogs??

I've just discovered a behavior that throws a really big wrench into
how I *thought* keybindings worked.  In Word 97 SR-2:

If I define a shortcut key with a simple ALT prefix (such as ALT+C),
whether with VBA or via Tools-> Customize, that shortcut thereafter
interferes with accelerators in standard Word dialogs.  For example,
if I link a macro to ALT+C, then run the spell-checker and want to
use the "Change" button for a spelling error, I can't press ALT+C to
invoke the "Change" button, because it tries to run my macro instead.

Is this by design?  It is advisable not to define ALT-only shortcuts?
(If so, I'm surprised I've never run into this until now, having almost
always used accelerator keys rather than mouseclicks in dialogs.)
I would've thought accelerators in dialogs would override keybindings.
Is there a way to limit a keybinding to (what a DOS person would call)
"command level" only?

------------- "Life is nothing if you aren't obsessed." --John Waters

Fri, 19 Sep 2003 20:47:38 GMT

1. KeyBindings.Add Does it work in XP??

2. KeyBindings not working right?

3. Keybindings Error

4. Keybindings : Tab Key

5. Connect KeyBindings to a COM Add-in?

6. How can I use keybindings object

7. List all keybindings

8. How to position API dialog boxes within access container

9. Choose directory, not file from within common dialog

10. Common dialog box methods fail within ACCESS.

11. File Dialog Within Access 2.0

12. Using Common Dialog control within an ActiveX DLL