locking field with Word Template
Author Message
 locking field with Word Template

Hi,
Hope someone can help me with that "beginner problem".

Ok, Here my needs.

1) I use Word 2000 (french version) with Windows 2000.
2) I made a customized Word template to be used by "many data entry users"
(very beginner).
3) I used in that template 2 specific fields:
- { DATE }
- { USERNAME }
4) The template need to be protected.
5) At the end, when the Word document will be saved, I want all the fields
in the template to be locked or unlinked. I want to make it as simple as
possible for the user (I don't want to have to show then how to unprotect a
document and how to lock a field).

I hope you understand my problem.

Regard

--
___________________________________
Jean Bernier

Tl: (514) 382-3830

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 01:48:53 GMT
 locking field with Word Template
Hi, Jean,

To lock all the fields at once, put this line in a macro:

    ActiveDocument.Fields.Locked = True

Alternatively, to unlink all the fields, use this line:

    ActiveDocument.Fields.Unlink

You can make this a one-line macro with a toolbar button, but this would
require the users to remember to click it before saving and closing the
document. Instead, you can write a macro to replace the built-in File/Save
or File/Close command, and include the locking/unlinking as part of it. See
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MacrosVBA/DocumentEvents.htm for how to do
that.

Regards,
Jay

Quote:
> Hi,
> Hope someone can help me with that "beginner problem".

> Ok, Here my needs.

> 1) I use Word 2000 (french version) with Windows 2000.
> 2) I made a customized Word template to be used by "many data entry users"
> (very beginner).
> 3) I used in that template 2 specific fields:
> - { DATE }
> - { USERNAME }
> 4) The template need to be protected.
> 5) At the end, when the Word document will be saved, I want all the fields
> in the template to be locked or unlinked. I want to make it as simple as
> possible for the user (I don't want to have to show then how to unprotect
> document and how to lock a field).

> I hope you understand my problem.

> Regard

> --
> ___________________________________
> Jean Bernier
> Les Services Informatiques RMM Inc.

> Tl: (514) 382-3830

Sun, 18 Jan 2004 04:51:00 GMT

1. Word locks up in one template

2. Word form template, start field and tab order

3. Word Template using activeX fields not usable when opened on Mac

4. Creating Word documents from an Embedded OLE Word Template

5. insert word object based on a word template?

6. Word 2002 Template won't open in Word 2000

7. Word Templates with VBA code running very slow in Word XP

8. Word XP Template Error on Word 97

9. VBA in a workgroup template runs slower on Word 2002 than on Word 97

10. Using Word Template With Word Objects

11. Working with Word files and templates without having Word

12. 2nd Word doc appears after Word template - only in Vista