Interesting problem with Printer and Access
Author Message
 Interesting problem with Printer and Access

Hi, i have an Access 2000 mde installed at a client site on 3 PC's (2
desktops/ 1 laptop).  It's a classic split fe/be design.  They have a
peer-to-peer Win NT 4 (SP6) network (100mbit)

The fastest computer (a PIII 600Mhz/250MB RAM) has the back-end data, the
rest use mapped drives to connect.  They have good network cards (3com
100mbit)

They have been having problems with their shared network printers in the
past, both HP's by the way.

Anyway, all was working fine until one day last week when their printers
both started screwing up - i.e. they had to physically goto the printer and
press 'print' for EACH PAGE they started printing.  It's been like that for
a week.  This ONLY affected the two desktop computers (perhaps since they
are both hosting printers), not the laptop.

AT THE SAME TIME - my application started behaving strangely on the two
desktop PC's - data tables can't be found, specific errors within forms,
syntax errors, etc that they weren't having before.  Yet the other PC is OK.

It seems that whatever triggered the shared printer drivers(?) to take a
dump also affected my application - maybe some shared files?  I have a few
references to some dll's and ocx's but they seem intact, but obviously
something is interfering with the normal operation of the program.

Does anyone have any idea where I could begin to look for this problem?
Apparently they have reinstalled Office with no success to my problem or
theirs.  I have heard that HP drivers are more flaky than they used to be -
not sure where the connection could be though.  Perhaps their OS has been
corrupted?

Thanks

Ed Grainger
Truro, Nova Scotia

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 01:22:58 GMT

1. VB, DAO, Access and an Interesting Date problem.

2. Interesting Printing Problem involving VB5 and Access

3. Interesting: Multiple Instances of EXE pointing to different printers

4. Problems with multiple apps. accessing global Printer object

5. MS Access Creating a field to computate compound interest

6. Interesting Multiple db access in ADO..

7. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation [updated]

8. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation

9. Update: TCP/IP access via Winsock/Internet Tools of Interest to Programmers

10. Interesting Multiple db access in ADO..

11. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation [updated]

12. Fastest known sort for database access: any interest in VB implementation