VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Author Message
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP

Has anyone found issues with custom macros written in Word
97 when trying to use them in Word XP?  If so, what are
some the ways you repairs them so they functioned normally
in Word XP?  I just read somewhere that Word 97 uses an
older version of VBA, but I don't know enough about VBA to
update the coding in the macros.

Specifically, we have a custom macros that apply numbering
styles to text.  In Word 97, you could apply a numbering
style and if you wanted your first paragraph to start with
level 2 numbering, you simply could hit Tab on the
keyboard and it would advance to the next level.  Now,
when you Tab, it will move the text over, but not change
the numbering level.  To get around this, we have been
tabbing the second paragraph and then using the format
painter to apply level 2 numbering to the first paragraph.

Secondly, we have a combination of macros that would
update the styles, etc in documents converted from
Wordperfect 5.1 to Word 97.  Although it is rare that we
convert Wordperfect documents anymore, it is still used
when we scan documents.  It is a quick easy way to apply
our standards to documents.  Two parts of the macro no
longer work - changing the justification to full and
formatting paragraphs to 12pts before.

Coding in both instances has not changed.

Any thoughts?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tue, 25 Oct 2005 23:20:57 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Most, but not all, Word 97 VBA macros should work unchanged in Word 2002.
You'll just have to address each exception as you find it.

If you are lucky, you may not need to change anything.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

> Has anyone found issues with custom macros written in Word
> 97 when trying to use them in Word XP?  If so, what are
> some the ways you repairs them so they functioned normally
> in Word XP?  I just read somewhere that Word 97 uses an
> older version of VBA, but I don't know enough about VBA to
> update the coding in the macros.

> Specifically, we have a custom macros that apply numbering
> styles to text.  In Word 97, you could apply a numbering
> style and if you wanted your first paragraph to start with
> level 2 numbering, you simply could hit Tab on the
> keyboard and it would advance to the next level.  Now,
> when you Tab, it will move the text over, but not change
> the numbering level.  To get around this, we have been
> tabbing the second paragraph and then using the format
> painter to apply level 2 numbering to the first paragraph.

> Secondly, we have a combination of macros that would
> update the styles, etc in documents converted from
> Wordperfect 5.1 to Word 97.  Although it is rare that we
> convert Wordperfect documents anymore, it is still used
> when we scan documents.  It is a quick easy way to apply
> our standards to documents.  Two parts of the macro no
> longer work - changing the justification to full and
> formatting paragraphs to 12pts before.

> Coding in both instances has not changed.

> Any thoughts?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:05:42 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Unfortunately, I was not lucky.  We rolled out XP a couple
of months ago and none of the macros I mentioned in the
orginal post have worked the same as in 97.

Thoughts?

Quote:

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 01:49:16 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
In many cases, you have no choice but to redesign the algorithm underlying a
macro.

For example, instead of using the Tab character to increase the level number
of a Heading n style paragraph, you could:

1. Use keyboard short cuts to apply various Heading n styles.
2. Use a keyboard shortcut to run a macro that changes the current
paragraph.
3. Or use toolbar buttons, or menu items, for the same purpose.

--
http://www.standards.com/; Howard Kaikow's web site.

> Unfortunately, I was not lucky.  We rolled out XP a couple
> of months ago and none of the macros I mentioned in the
> orginal post have worked the same as in 97.

> Thoughts?

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:05:20 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Hi Michelle,

Many of the points that you mention have to do with various options (whether
they are set or not) and have nothing to do with macro compatibility.
Have a look at the Compatibility tab of the Tools \ Options dialog box, as
well as the general and editing tab to see if some of the settings there are
overiding what the macros are trying to accomplish (Tab for
increasing/decreasing Outlining level still work in XP, unless it has been
deactivated. 12 pts before won't work unless you turn on the "Do not use
HTML paragraph spacing in the comptibility tab, etc.). Some of these
settings are "per document" -  like the HTML spacing thing, which does not
help.

And there is the Wordperfect issue (With which I am not familiar since I
have not used WordPerfect since 1995... but I know that XP handles the
compatibility differently then 97 did.

Good luck.

Jean-Guy Marcil

Quote:
> Has anyone found issues with custom macros written in Word
> 97 when trying to use them in Word XP?  If so, what are
> some the ways you repairs them so they functioned normally
> in Word XP?  I just read somewhere that Word 97 uses an
> older version of VBA, but I don't know enough about VBA to
> update the coding in the macros.

> Specifically, we have a custom macros that apply numbering
> styles to text.  In Word 97, you could apply a numbering
> style and if you wanted your first paragraph to start with
> level 2 numbering, you simply could hit Tab on the
> keyboard and it would advance to the next level.  Now,
> when you Tab, it will move the text over, but not change
> the numbering level.  To get around this, we have been
> tabbing the second paragraph and then using the format
> painter to apply level 2 numbering to the first paragraph.

> Secondly, we have a combination of macros that would
> update the styles, etc in documents converted from
> Wordperfect 5.1 to Word 97.  Although it is rare that we
> convert Wordperfect documents anymore, it is still used
> when we scan documents.  It is a quick easy way to apply
> our standards to documents.  Two parts of the macro no
> longer work - changing the justification to full and
> formatting paragraphs to 12pts before.

> Coding in both instances has not changed.

> Any thoughts?  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Wed, 26 Oct 2005 07:55:53 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Thank you for your suggestions.

Where would I find if the increasing/Decreasing outlining
level has been deactivated?

I tried the suggestion with checking on the HTML paragraph
spacing (I had this suggested to me before as well) but
that doesn't seem to help - when I run the macro, the
spacing before becomes 0 as opposed to 12pts as stated in
the macro and the justification is still right rather than
full.

Quote:

Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:07:12 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
Just as a follow up, I managed to fix the paragraph
spacing and justification.  I extracted that portion of
macro and created a new sub, added it to the module and it
worked.  Go figure.

Still have issues on the outline numbering macros though.

Michelle

Quote:

Sun, 30 Oct 2005 04:11:13 GMT
 VBA - Word 97 to Word XP
there are some pretty critical issues if you start using
the Registry
The worst I've come across is
recovering "Tools..Options..File_Locations..Working_Dir
(Documents)" which actually recovers the current working
directory, which most times is completely useless
I've come up with a work around should you ever need to
get the definitive Default Directory
Quote:

Tue, 01 Nov 2005 15:55:39 GMT

1. Word 97 Macros > Word XP Macros

2. Retrieving Word XP Metadata from a Word 97 document

3. Word XP Template Error on Word 97

4. vba problem word 97 and not word 2000

5. Differences between VBA for Word 2000 and Word 97

6. Word 97 - Userform within Word VBA macro and exchange of values

7. Word 97 VBA - Word hickup??

8. VBA in a workgroup template runs slower on Word 2002 than on Word 97

9. Newbie to Word 97 VBA: Getting accurate word count programmatically

10. Word 97 and Word 2000 VBA - Functionality Lost?

11. Word Templates with VBA code running very slow in Word XP

12. Word 2002: How to save a file in Word 97 format in Word 2002