CDO vs Outlook libraries
Author Message
 CDO vs Outlook libraries

I mentioned this in an email to Dev (who has helped me immensely, thanks
Dev!) but thought it deserves maybe a wider audience:

What is the benefit of using the CDO.dll vs the various Outlook libraries
(msoutl8.olb and msoutl85.olb etc.)? Is it speed? Are there certain methods
in one that are not available in the other?

Another question (also in Dev's email): My users all use Outlook 97, and I
upgraded ages ago to Outlook 98. Will there be compatibility problems with
the libraries? Should I try and 'force' the other users to upgrade
themselves (hard job if anyone has ever tried! People don't like upgrading
when the software already works)

Thanks,

Philip Sheppard

Fri, 04 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 CDO vs Outlook libraries
Hi Philip,

  Generally, sending private email is not a good idea as it violates the
very premise of peer support newsgroups.  Not to mention that there's quite
a heavy backlog of msgs from past three days in my Inbox. <g>

(1)  Try setting a reference to both CDO (which gives you the MAPI ref.) and
OL typelib and then taking a look at the Object browser.  You'll find some
common items between the two, but essentially, OL ref. gives you full
control over Outlook (application) as well.

(2)  Yes,  CDO is not available under OL97.  There was a recent thread on
this very topic here, try referring to that exchange.  Essentially, you
should work with the least common denominator, ie OL97.

    -- Dev

:
[...]

Thanks (yet again) for the help Dev. I have decided to be stubborn on this
one and just pop up a message saying that anyone still using Outlook 97
can't use the email functions in the database!! Carrot and Stick method,
only I lost the carrot somewhere!!

I still can't quite decide whether CDO is better or not, so I have linked in
BOTH libraries and will probably in the future work out which one I like
better. I wanted to send rtf text to the body part of an email, and
Microsoft say that you need to do some MAPI programming so I may just head
in that direction!! But we will see!!

Anyway, thanks again for the help

Philip

Quote:
> Hi Philip,

>   Generally, sending private email is not a good idea as it violates the
> very premise of peer support newsgroups.  Not to mention that there's
quite
> a heavy backlog of msgs from past three days in my Inbox. <g>

> (1)  Try setting a reference to both CDO (which gives you the MAPI ref.)
and
> OL typelib and then taking a look at the Object browser.  You'll find some
> common items between the two, but essentially, OL ref. gives you full
> control over Outlook (application) as well.

> (2)  Yes,  CDO is not available under OL97.  There was a recent thread on
> this very topic here, try referring to that exchange.  Essentially, you
> should work with the least common denominator, ie OL97.

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. CDO vs Outlook 2000 Object Library?? (Outlook Newbie)

2. Difference between CDO and Outlook 98 Type Libraries?

3. CDO vs. Outlook Object Model

4. CDO vs Outlook Objec Model

5. CDO Fields vs. Outlook UserProperties

6. ADO Library vs. ADO Recordset Library

7. Library - Where to get Microsoft CDO 1.21

8. Me again - GAL lookup using CDO library.

9. Using CDO or OL9 to get Org Forms library

10. BodyFormat? (Microsoft CDO 1.21 Library)

11. could not reference to CDO for Windows 2000 Type Library

12. Automation error when using CDO 1.21 Library