creating custom aggregate functions
Author Message
 creating custom aggregate functions

Greetings all!!!

Has anyone ever created their own custom aggregate function (to be used
in a query..)

Just like dsum or davg, I want to create a aggregate "product"
(multiplication) function to be used in a query that performs this
function based upon a range of values as determined by my "group by"
criteria.

Any hints or starters????

thanks very much,

Andre Boreas

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating custom aggregate functions
Hi Andre,

Trevor (Best ???) has written some replacements for the agregate functions,
see
http://www.trevor.easynet.co.uk/AccFAQ/downloads.htm#baslookup

I haven't looked at them in quite a while so I don't know if you can use
it, but it's worth giving a try.

Hth,
Radu Lascae

Quote:

> Greetings all!!!

> Has anyone ever created their own custom aggregate function (to be used
> in a query..)

> Just like dsum or davg, I want to create a aggregate "product"
> (multiplication) function to be used in a query that performs this
> function based upon a range of values as determined by my "group by"
> criteria.

> Any hints or starters????

> thanks very much,

> Andre Boreas

Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating custom aggregate functions

Hi,

You cannot add any function to the "list", but you can combine with
arithmetic operators existing ones: choose "expression" (instead of GroupBy,
Min, Max, Last, First, Count, Sum, .... ) and write the expression in the
"field" line. As example, you can compute the Skewness  if you know
Count(X), Sum(X), Sum( X^2) and Sum(X^3).

Sure, you can use any user defined function as usual, but that won't work as
"aggregation" function, that won't make many records contribute to the
aggregated result given the actual group(s), automatically.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Quote:
> Greetings all!!!

> Has anyone ever created their own custom aggregate function (to be used
> in a query..)

> Just like dsum or davg, I want to create a aggregate "product"
> (multiplication) function to be used in a query that performs this
> function based upon a range of values as determined by my "group by"
> criteria.

> Any hints or starters????

> thanks very much,

> Andre Boreas

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating custom aggregate functions
Thanks for your reply to my posting....

I understand using arithmetic expressions and then applying an aggregate
function,
but what I'm trying to do is have the values in a field multiply each other
based upon the group by in another field.
For example:

table:

firm A    return

GM        2
GM        3
GM        1
IBM        5
IBM        2
IBM        3

so the query result would be:

GM        6
IBM        30

I just assuming I have to write this in VBA, or is there any other way to do
this?? Seems simple. maybe I'm just not getting it.

Thanks,

Andre Boreas

Quote:

> Hi,

> You cannot add any function to the "list", but you can combine with
> arithmetic operators existing ones: choose "expression" (instead of GroupBy,
> Min, Max, Last, First, Count, Sum, .... ) and write the expression in the
> "field" line. As example, you can compute the Skewness  if you know
> Count(X), Sum(X), Sum( X^2) and Sum(X^3).

> Sure, you can use any user defined function as usual, but that won't work as
> "aggregation" function, that won't make many records contribute to the
> aggregated result given the actual group(s), automatically.

> Hoping it may help,
> Vanderghast, Access MVP.

> > Greetings all!!!

> > Has anyone ever created their own custom aggregate function (to be used
> > in a query..)

> > Just like dsum or davg, I want to create a aggregate "product"
> > (multiplication) function to be used in a query that performs this
> > function based upon a range of values as determined by my "group by"
> > criteria.

> > Any hints or starters????

> > thanks very much,

> > Andre Boreas

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 creating custom aggregate functions
Hi,

Antilog the Sum of the log:

    Exp(Sum(Log(X)))
    where X >0

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP.

Quote:
> Thanks for your reply to my posting....

> I understand using arithmetic expressions and then applying an aggregate
> function,
> but what I'm trying to do is have the values in a field multiply each
other
> based upon the group by in another field.
> For example:

> table:

> firm A    return

> GM        2
> GM        3
> GM        1
> IBM        5
> IBM        2
> IBM        3

> so the query result would be:

> GM        6
> IBM        30

> I just assuming I have to write this in VBA, or is there any other way to
do
> this?? Seems simple. maybe I'm just not getting it.

> Thanks,

> Andre Boreas

> > Hi,

> > You cannot add any function to the "list", but you can combine with
> > arithmetic operators existing ones: choose "expression" (instead of
GroupBy,
> > Min, Max, Last, First, Count, Sum, .... ) and write the expression in
the
> > "field" line. As example, you can compute the Skewness  if you know
> > Count(X), Sum(X), Sum( X^2) and Sum(X^3).

> > Sure, you can use any user defined function as usual, but that won't
work as
> > "aggregation" function, that won't make many records contribute to the
> > aggregated result given the actual group(s), automatically.

> > Hoping it may help,
> > Vanderghast, Access MVP.

> > > Greetings all!!!

> > > Has anyone ever created their own custom aggregate function (to be
used
> > > in a query..)

> > > Just like dsum or davg, I want to create a aggregate "product"
> > > (multiplication) function to be used in a query that performs this
> > > function based upon a range of values as determined by my "group by"
> > > criteria.

> > > Any hints or starters????

> > > thanks very much,

> > > Andre Boreas

Mon, 07 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Custom aggregate function

2. Custom Aggregate Function Brainwave?

3. Custom Aggregate Function

4. Custom Aggregate Function for GROUP BY

5. new type of aggregate function (product function)

6. create custom icon,custom combobox in custom toolbar

7. create custom icon,custom combobox(to insert values)in custom toolbar

8. Aggregate functions

9. Domain Aggregate Function problem

10. Domain Aggregate function to return Collection/array

11. Help coding an aggregate dSum function

12. Aggregate function for values of fields in record