Having problems with......in toc
Author Message
 Having problems with......in toc

I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I am
having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I insert
all the ..............................12
....................................13

Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar over
or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:42:36 GMT
 Having problems with......in toc
I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I am
having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I insert
all the ..............................12
....................................13

Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar over
or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:43:08 GMT
 Having problems with......in toc
I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I am
having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I insert
all the ..............................12
....................................13

Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar over
or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:43:11 GMT
 Having problems with......in toc
Hi Cassandra

Tabs in TOCs can get easily messed up if you've changed anything to do with
how it looks.
The best way (maybe not the easiest) is to go into Insert / Index & Tables /
Table of Contents (Insert / References / Index & Tables for Word 2002) and
click the MODIFY button

Choose the heading level (or one of them anyway) that you're having problems
with and click on MODIFY and then on FORMAT - choose TABS.
Type in the ruler measurement of the far right of your page (where you want
the page numbers) and click RIGHT align.
Then click set
Click OK until you get back to the start - do this for all the heading
levels you're using and your problem should be solved.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers
Julie

Quote:
> I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I am
> having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I
insert
> all the ..............................12
> ....................................13

> Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
> insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar over
> or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

> Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 02:55:37 GMT
 Having problems with......in toc
Could you write that in English now, Julie? LOL!!  Thanks a lot.  I'll check
that out later and see if I can figure it out.  I appreciate your help. :)

Cass

Quote:
> Hi Cassandra

> Tabs in TOCs can get easily messed up if you've changed anything to do
with
> how it looks.
> The best way (maybe not the easiest) is to go into Insert / Index & Tables
/
> Table of Contents (Insert / References / Index & Tables for Word 2002) and
> click the MODIFY button

> Choose the heading level (or one of them anyway) that you're having
problems
> with and click on MODIFY and then on FORMAT - choose TABS.
> Type in the ruler measurement of the far right of your page (where you
want
> the page numbers) and click RIGHT align.
> Then click set
> Click OK until you get back to the start - do this for all the heading
> levels you're using and your problem should be solved.

> Let us know how you go.

> Cheers
> Julie

> > I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I am
> > having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I
> insert
> > all the ..............................12
> > ....................................13

> > Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
> > insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar
over
> > or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
> > appreciated.

> > Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 05:23:30 GMT
 Having problems with......in toc
Cassandra --

If Word's default settings haven't been changed, a feature called
"automatically update styles" is turned on for the TOC styles.  What that
means to you is that if you reformat one paragraph in the TOC, all others of
the same level will instantly reformat to match your changes.  Therefore, I
think the easiest thing for you to try would be this:

1. Put your cursor in one of the misaligned paragraphs so it's blinking.
(If you are thrown into other text when you click on it, use the arrow keys
to get your cursor in it.)
2. On the ruler bar, look for a backwards L. (If you don't see the ruler bar
choose View, Ruler to turn it on.)
3. Drag that L with your mouse to the position under which you want the
number to line up.  It can be tricky to grab at first, but you must
persevere!  If it won't drag to exactly where you want it, hold the ALT key
down while dragging.
4. Do that for one paragraph of each level of your outline -- hopefully that
will fix them all.

If all else fails, email the document to me (personally, don't post it to
the newsgroup) and I'll fix it and send it back.  And FYI -- this is the VBA
newsgroup -- that's programming, you want to post these questions in one of
the plain Word groups.-- no biggie, but you'll probably get faster answers
there!

Good luck to you!
Laura

Quote:
> Could you write that in English now, Julie? LOL!!  Thanks a lot.  I'll
check
> that out later and see if I can figure it out.  I appreciate your help. :)

> Cass

> > Hi Cassandra

> > Tabs in TOCs can get easily messed up if you've changed anything to do
> with
> > how it looks.
> > The best way (maybe not the easiest) is to go into Insert / Index &
Tables
> /
> > Table of Contents (Insert / References / Index & Tables for Word 2002)
and
> > click the MODIFY button

> > Choose the heading level (or one of them anyway) that you're having
> problems
> > with and click on MODIFY and then on FORMAT - choose TABS.
> > Type in the ruler measurement of the far right of your page (where you
> want
> > the page numbers) and click RIGHT align.
> > Then click set
> > Click OK until you get back to the start - do this for all the heading
> > levels you're using and your problem should be solved.

> > Let us know how you go.

> > Cheers
> > Julie

> > > I'm copying a table of contents from a doc that was already done.  I
am
> > > having problems lining up the page numbers over to the right after I
> > insert
> > > all the ..............................12
> > > ....................................13

> > > Seems like the numbers are crooked and I can't like them up.  How do I
> > > insert a tab at the very far right.  When I tried to move the tab bar
> over
> > > or insert a tab, it messes up everything else.  Any help would be
> > > appreciated.

> > > Cas

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:38:37 GMT

1. having problems lining up ....and page numbers on toc

2. Problem with the TOC Field and the \t switch

3. Problem with the TOC Field and the \t switch

4. Little problem with my TOC creator

5. TOC Problem

6. Problem with TOC (Word 2000)

7. Having some problems with ObjectNames(newbie)

8. Problem starting Acces 97 after having started Outlook 2000

9. Having problems with VBA332.dll

10. Having problems with sorting character or text fields

11. Having problems with locating date values

12. I'm having a problem with a date variable