A scary tale: The Objects that wouldn't DIE!!!
Author Message
 A scary tale: The Objects that wouldn't DIE!!!

I have a VB6 app that consistantly needs to automate Microsoft Word and
Microsoft Outlook.  I've been creating the objects in the following manner:

Set WordObject = CreateObject("Word.Application)
Set OutlookObject = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

After my VB6 app automates these apps, it (supposedly) destroys the objects.
This is done in the following manner:

Set WordObject = Nothing
Set OutlookObject = Nothing

...but guess what?  After the above runs, if I hold down my
Control/Alt/Delete buttons, "Winword" and "Outlook" still appear in the
list!

Now wait a minute!  Didn't I kill these apps by setting them to NOTHING???
If this were happening to you, where would you begin to look in order to try
to solve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 A scary tale: The Objects that wouldn't DIE!!!
Hi Alan,

You killed the variables that point to the apps but you didn't kill the
apps.

Try:
 WordObject.Quit
OutlookObject.Quit

Then go ahead and kill the variables.
--
Bill Coan
Templates, wizards, add-ins, and macros for Word

> I have a VB6 app that consistantly needs to automate Microsoft Word and
> Microsoft Outlook.  I've been creating the objects in the following
manner:

> Set WordObject = CreateObject("Word.Application)
> Set OutlookObject = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")

> After my VB6 app automates these apps, it (supposedly) destroys the
objects.
> This is done in the following manner:

> Set WordObject = Nothing
> Set OutlookObject = Nothing

> ...but guess what?  After the above runs, if I hold down my
> Control/Alt/Delete buttons, "Winword" and "Outlook" still appear in the
> list!

> Now wait a minute!  Didn't I kill these apps by setting them to NOTHING???
> If this were happening to you, where would you begin to look in order to
try
> to solve the problem?  Thanks in advance.

Sat, 09 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. A scary tale: The Objects that wouldn't DIE!!!

2. The Database That Wouldn't Die

3. Scary SQLCommand object behaviour

4. Why wouldn't this work?

5. Outlook COM Add In problem: Outlook wouldn't exit from Process in Task Manager

6. VB ActiveX Document Wouldn't Display !!

7. Desperate: VB MAPI in NT Scheduler wouldn't work

8. Desperate: VB MAPI in NT Scheduler wouldn't work

9. VB 4.0 wouldn't install

10. Desperate: VB MAPI in NT Scheduler wouldn't work

11. Desperate: VB MAPI in NT Scheduler wouldn't work

12. OCX 'dice' wanted