Access modules and Visual Sourcesafe
Author Message
 Access modules and Visual Sourcesafe

Hi,

Does anybody know how to set-up Access 2000 projects to
run with Visual Source Safe V6.

Is it right that all of the modules are shown as text
files within sourcesafe so that developers can
simultaneously alter and merge the changes.

Regards

Martin

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 14:50:03 GMT
 Access modules and Visual Sourcesafe
In fact, EVERYTHING is stored in Source Safe as text, including forms,
reports, macros, code...everything.  Only one user can check out any one
object, so two users cannot check out the same module and modify it.  Only
one at a time.

To get it to work with Access, you have to have the Office Developer Tools
installed, which will add the Source Safe menu item and toolbar to Access.

--
Roger Carlson
www.rogersaccesslibrary.com

Quote:
> Hi,

> Does anybody know how to set-up Access 2000 projects to
> run with Visual Source Safe V6.

> Is it right that all of the modules are shown as text
> files within sourcesafe so that developers can
> simultaneously alter and merge the changes.

> Regards

> Martin

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 22:05:51 GMT
 Access modules and Visual Sourcesafe
Thank you,

I have got the Sourcesafe to work with Access.

What happens when you check the allow multiple checkouts?

Will this allow more than one developer on the same
module?

It does also say in the help files that the differences
in the text files can be merged, is this in the same
module?

Martin

Quote:

Sat, 15 Oct 2005 23:25:13 GMT
 Access modules and Visual Sourcesafe
Sorry, I am far from an expert with it.  I have always used it in the
"Only-one-person-can-check-out-an-object" mode.  If there is another mode, I
am not familiar with it.  It is a distinct possibility.

However, there are a couple of resources you should try:

"Essential SourceSave" by Roche and Wipple, published by Hentzenwerke
Publishing.  Reviews are mixed, but there isn't much else out there in book
form.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/chats/vstudio/vstudio_080102.asp is an on-line
chat hosted by Microsoft specifically for SourceSafe.

--
Roger Carlson
www.rogersaccesslibrary.com

Quote:
> Thank you,

> I have got the Sourcesafe to work with Access.

> What happens when you check the allow multiple checkouts?

> Will this allow more than one developer on the same
> module?

> It does also say in the help files that the differences
> in the text files can be merged, is this in the same
> module?

> Martin

Sun, 16 Oct 2005 00:09:16 GMT

1. pitfalls using Visual SourceSafe in Access 97?

2. Visual SourceSafe and Access 8.0

3. ANNOUNCE: SourceOffSite v1.1 released - Internet access for Visual SourceSafe

4. Visual Basic/Visual Sourcesafe problem

5. Fix order in .BAS modules? re:SourceSafe

6. MS Access failed to create the Visual Basic Module

7. FTP a file from an Access module using Visual Basic language

8. ERROR: MS Access couldn't create storage space for a visual basic module

9. ERROR: MS Access couldn't create storage space for a visual basic module

10. Calling Visual Basic Modules from Access 97

11. Need help: Using Visual Basic 6.0 to create Modules in Access 97

12. Need help: Using Visual Basic 6.0 to create Modules in Access 97