Character limit of Combo Box - Drop Down Item
Author Message
 Character limit of Combo Box - Drop Down Item

Hi Joan,

Quote:
> Is there a character limit on the drop down items in combo boxes?
> When I attempt to add a drop down item, I am only allowed approx.
> (50) characters.  Is there a work around?

Yep, that's the limit. The only workaround I know of would be to use
a plain text field instead of the drop down, with a macro attached
(you can see where you select the macro in the Options dialog box
for the form field). The macro would display a UserForm that
contains "the other kind" of drop down field that doesn't have this
limitation. Confirming the UserForm would then write the appropriate
entry into the text form field.

BTW, please do NOT attach files to your newsgroup messages. Many
people who help out here will not even see your message, because
they filter out those with attachments; and few of the rest will
open an attached file. In 98% of the cases they're not needed to
resolve a problem; and if someone does want to see your file,
they'll ask you to email it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/
http://www.*-*-*.com/

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Wed, 19 Nov 2003 01:17:39 GMT
 Character limit of Combo Box - Drop Down Item
Quote:
> Is there a character limit on the drop down items in combo boxes?
> When I attempt to add a drop down item, I am only allowed approx.
> (50) characters.  Is there a work around?

Yep, that's the limit. The only workaround I know of would be to use
a plain text field instead of the drop down, with a macro attached
(you can see where you select the macro in the Options dialog box
for the form field). The macro would display a UserForm that
contains "the other kind" of drop down field that doesn't have this
limitation. Confirming the UserForm would then write the appropriate
entry into the text form field.

BTW, please do NOT attach files to your newsgroup messages. Many
people who help out here will not even see your message, because
they filter out those with attachments; and few of the rest will
open an attached file. In 98% of the cases they're not needed to
resolve a problem; and if someone does want to see your file,
they'll ask you to email it.

Cindy Meister

*****

this message originally sent 5 June 01 via e-mail since
our Internet was down -- included here for the benefit of
the newsgroup

Cindy,

I tried to post this question to the usergroup but am currently unable to so I
hope it's
OK to write to you directly the following message:

Thanks for your quick reply.  I have limited knowledge of writing
macros.  I've written some object based code for Access but have
only recorded macros in Word.  Do you have any suggestions on
where I might obtain instructions and/or code to write a UserForm
with a down field to resolve the issue above?

*****
this reply sent via e-mail on 7 June 01, included here for
the benefit of the newsgroup

See the Knowledge Base article

WD2000: How to Create Combo Box with More Than 25 Items [Q198561]

*****
Cindy,

Thanks again for your quick reply.  I ended up using knowledge
base article Q253552 "WD97: How to Create a Combo Box
Containing More Than 25 Items".  It worked exactly as listed
in the article but I have a few more questions.

- Currently, when the focus is on the text form field, the
  text box is empty.  How can I populate it one of the
  items in the list?
- Is there a way to add "Help" to the text form field so that
  when the field has focus the user has instructions on it's use?
- Instead of using a command close button, is there a way to
  exit once the user presses Enter or LeftClick in the text
  form field?

Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:16:09 GMT
 Character limit of Combo Box - Drop Down Item
Hi Joan,

Quote:
> - Currently, when the focus is on the text form field, the
>   text box is empty.  How can I populate it one of the
>   items in the list?

I don't understand your question. Are you talking about a field in
the document, or in the UserForm? How should the field know what
item it is expected to display? Are you looking for the DEFAULT
property of a text form field? Double-click the field to display
the Options box, and type an entry into Default.

Quote:
> - Is there a way to add "Help" to the text form field so that
>   when the field has focus the user has instructions on it's use?

Look in the form field's Options box. There's a button there to add
"Help" (can be in the status bar and/or called by pressing F1).

Quote:
> - Instead of using a command close button, is there a way to
>   exit once the user presses Enter or LeftClick in the text
>   form field?

Again, you question is unclear. Are you in the document or the
UserForm? Exit what, specifically? Your UserForm should be set to
MODAL, so that the user cannot go back to the document until this
form has been closed. You can include a CommandButton, but set it
to Default, so that pressing Enter will execute it.

http://www.mvps.org/word
http://go.compuserve.com/MSOfficeForum

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Sun, 30 Nov 2003 00:39:17 GMT

1. Drop-down(Combo box) text limit?

2. Q: Drop down combo box default item

3. Drop Down Combo box with smaller down arrow icon

4. Formfield Drop-down 25 item limit?

5. Press F1 key while drop-down menu item highlighted, drop-down menu stays on top

6. Hiding combo box border and drop-down box

7. Drop Down List Box - Drop Down portion does not always disappear after Click event

8. Combo box drop down on got focus

9. Values in drop-down combo box

10. REPOST: How to display a user control on combo box drop down (OwnerDrawn)

11. Thanks for the Help (Combo Box Automatically Drops down)

12. Help Drop Down a Combo box automatically !!?