Iterating a form's property values
Author Message
 Iterating a form's property values

I am documenting Access97 databases by iterating collections of objects (e.g.
forms, tables, queries). This provides useful information such as each query's
SQL statement. But I have been unable to obtain the value of the form's
RecordSource property, unless I first open the form (i.e. using the Forms
collection). Opening the form (without even making it visible), really slows this
operation down. How can I obtain form property values without opening each form
in these large and unwieldy Access97 databases? Thanks in advance for your effort.

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 07:27:48 GMT
 Iterating a form's property values

Quote:
>But I have been unable to obtain the value of the form's
>RecordSource property, unless I first open the form (i.e. using the
>Forms collection). Opening the form (without even making it visible),
>really slows this operation down. How can I obtain form property values
>without opening each form in these large and unwieldy Access97
>databases?

You can't get at those properties without first opening the form. You can
open it in design view though, which in some cases might make it faster.

One other way would be to use undocumented SaveAsText method on each form
and parse the text file with the form definition. IMO, it's probably not
worth it, compared to the supported way.

--
(remove a 9 to reply by email)

Thu, 11 Sep 2003 11:31:21 GMT
 Iterating a form's property values
What about MS Access's Tools/Analyze/Document?  It gives you everything and
then some!

--
Larry Risser
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Quote:

> >But I have been unable to obtain the value of the form's
> >RecordSource property, unless I first open the form (i.e. using the
> >Forms collection). Opening the form (without even making it visible),
> >really slows this operation down. How can I obtain form property values
> >without opening each form in these large and unwieldy Access97
> >databases?

> You can't get at those properties without first opening the form. You can
> open it in design view though, which in some cases might make it faster.

> One other way would be to use undocumented SaveAsText method on each form
> and parse the text file with the form definition. IMO, it's probably not
> worth it, compared to the supported way.

> --
> (remove a 9 to reply by email)

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 05:29:41 GMT
 Iterating a form's property values
Well, why do you think it does not open the form hidden and in design view
to do that?

Quote:
>What about MS Access's Tools/Analyze/Document?  It gives you everything
>and then some!

>--
>Larry Risser
>(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

>> in

>> >But I have been unable to obtain the value of the form's
>> >RecordSource property, unless I first open the form (i.e. using the
>> >Forms collection). Opening the form (without even making it visible),
>> >really slows this operation down. How can I obtain form property
>> >values without opening each form in these large and unwieldy Access97
>> >databases?

>> You can't get at those properties without first opening the form. You
>> can open it in design view though, which in some cases might make it
>> faster.

>> One other way would be to use undocumented SaveAsText method on each
>> form and parse the text file with the form definition. IMO, it's
>> probably not worth it, compared to the supported way.

--
(remove a 9 to reply by email)

Fri, 12 Sep 2003 21:08:42 GMT
 Iterating a form's property values
Sorry, Dimitri.  I misunderstood what you were after.

--
Larry Risser
(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

Quote:
> Well, why do you think it does not open the form hidden and in design view
> to do that?

> >What about MS Access's Tools/Analyze/Document?  It gives you everything
> >and then some!

> >--
> >Larry Risser
> >(remove NOSPAM from reply address)

> >> in

> >> You can't get at those properties without first opening the form. You
> >> can open it in design view though, which in some cases might make it
> >> faster.

> >> One other way would be to use undocumented SaveAsText method on each
> >> form and parse the text file with the form definition. IMO, it's
> >> probably not worth it, compared to the supported way.

> --
> (remove a 9 to reply by email)

Sat, 13 Sep 2003 10:48:59 GMT

1. Iterate through an object's properties (any object)

2. Object doesn't support this property or method : 'DTSGlobalVariables(...).Value.Open

3. Setup Wizard says 'Invalid Property Value'

4. Identifying 'system' tables when iterating TableDefs

5. Changing Form's BorderStyle property at run time but before form is loaded

6. iterating database properties?

7. Iterate Properties on ContactItem

8. How to iterate through ContactItem properties?

9. Iterate through custom properties from VBA?

10. Q: Iterate a controls properties at runtime?

11. Iterating through the properties of an object?

12. Iterating through properties of a VB com object at runtime