Application preferences and settings
Author Message
 Application preferences and settings

I have a front end which I depoly over several machines. The problem is that
each front end has a 'settings' table which stores machine specific data
like where the back end is located, and user prefernces, etc.

Whenever I make any changes to the front end .mde file, I can deploy it
easily, but I then have to go around resetting all of this data (which can
be different for each PC).

I think I need to store this data outside the database like an .ini file, or
in the registry, so that updating the.mde file will not affect them.

Can anyone suggest a way of doing it?

Thanks

Nick

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 00:00:33 GMT
 Application preferences and settings

Quote:

>I have a front end which I depoly over several machines. The problem is that
>each front end has a 'settings' table which stores machine specific data
>like where the back end is located, and user prefernces, etc.

>Whenever I make any changes to the front end .mde file, I can deploy it
>easily, but I then have to go around resetting all of this data (which can
>be different for each PC).

>I think I need to store this data outside the database like an .ini file, or
>in the registry, so that updating the.mde file will not affect them.

Lots of ways to deal with this issue.  You've already
mentioned a couple, but I think you should consider the
possibility of using a separate MDB file on each machine
that only contains the tables for the machine specific data.
The front end can link to those tables without affecting
your existing code.

Another way that I've used when relinking to other MDBs is
too messy, is to write an Update MDB that renames the old
front end, copies the new version of the front end from a
server and runs an Append query to copy the machine specific
data from the old version to the new version.

--
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 01:47:28 GMT
 Application preferences and settings

Quote:

> I have a front end which I depoly over several machines. The problem
> is that each front end has a 'settings' table which stores machine
> specific data like where the back end is located, and user prefernces,
> etc.

> Whenever I make any changes to the front end .mde file, I can deploy
> it easily, but I then have to go around resetting all of this data
> (which can be different for each PC).

That, of course, is one of the prime reasons to use a FE/BE architecture:
to get rid of all permanent information from the FE which should only
contain throw-away code.

Quote:
> I think I need to store this data outside the database like an .ini
> file, or in the registry, so that updating the.mde file will not
> affect them.

What about using an old-fashoned INI file? The API calls are still there.

Tim F

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:14:11 GMT
 Application preferences and settings
The INI sound like the way to go - there are only a couple of values I want
to set anyway. Can you tell me the API calls I need?

Thanks
Nick

Quote:

> > I have a front end which I depoly over several machines. The problem
> > is that each front end has a 'settings' table which stores machine
> > specific data like where the back end is located, and user prefernces,
> > etc.

> > Whenever I make any changes to the front end .mde file, I can deploy
> > it easily, but I then have to go around resetting all of this data
> > (which can be different for each PC).

> That, of course, is one of the prime reasons to use a FE/BE architecture:
> to get rid of all permanent information from the FE which should only
> contain throw-away code.

> > I think I need to store this data outside the database like an .ini
> > file, or in the registry, so that updating the.mde file will not
> > affect them.

> What about using an old-fashoned INI file? The API calls are still there.

> Tim F

Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:41:55 GMT
 Application preferences and settings

Quote:

> The INI sound like the way to go - there are only a couple of values I
> want to set anyway. Can you tell me the API calls I need?

From memory:

   GetPrivateProfileString
   WritePrivateProfileString

and they should be in any decent API resource. There are also versions for
Longs and Integers, and also Ascii and doubleByte...

I seem to remember that previous versions of Access had them wrapped up in
VBA functions too; but now there is SaveSetting and GetSetting that
actually write to the Registry, and they may be simpler in end.

Best wishes

Tim F

Tue, 18 Oct 2005 02:25:19 GMT

1. changing per-contact mail format preference setting

2. Setting application default printer and setting its properties (VB5)

3. Making the application reload his Application Settings (app.config)

4. User Preferences located in a seperate file

5. New Syntax Preferences?

6. Printing Preferences

7. resetting local profile preferences

8. Use of app.config and saving user preferences...

9. Advice on saving array of users preferences

10. Preferences File

11. User Preferences

12. Programmtically changing IE Preferences