Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
Author Message
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms

Hi

Does anyone have information regarding digital certificates to sign custom
outlook forms with?

OnSign had a nice product, but unfortunately they discontinued operations on
5 April 2002...

Is there another company  I can contact?

Thanks
Tersia

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 19:58:24 GMT
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
AFAIK, Outlook forms can't be signed, period.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
Author of

> Hi

> Does anyone have information regarding digital certificates to sign custom
> outlook forms with?

> OnSign had a nice product, but unfortunately they discontinued operations
on
> 5 April 2002...

> Is there another company  I can contact?

> Thanks
> Tersia

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 20:18:01 GMT
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
Let me refrase...

I need a digital certificate (or some signing mechanism) that will sign only
custom forms
when I send them from my mailbox to recipients. I am building workflow
applications
for clients where managers approve some stages of the business processes. I
need
to verify that the approvers via some kind of digital signing mechanism.

I have experimented with the Personal Digital Certificate from Thawte...

When I send a custom outlook form (publiched in the Organizational Forms
library) or any email message
(thus including the Standard outlook forms - which I would like to exclude)
to a recipient,
it gets signed with my imported digital certificate
(which I imported into Outlook from Tools... Options... Security...
Import\Export... )

At the recipient the forms icon is changed to indicate that it has been
signed by me.

Although this is working well and is free, it is still not the way I would
like to go for client installations using
my custom outlook workflow processes.

There must be some other kind of digital certificate  / signing mechanism
available that works on the same
principle as the Personal Digital Certifiacte of Thawte, but only signs
specified custom outlook forms...

Thanks
Tersia

Quote:
> AFAIK, Outlook forms can't be signed, period.

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming Jumpstart - coming September 2002
>      http://www.slipstick.com/books/jumpstart.htm

> > Hi

> > Does anyone have information regarding digital certificates to sign
custom
> > outlook forms with?

> > OnSign had a nice product, but unfortunately they discontinued
operations
> on
> > 5 April 2002...

> > Is there another company  I can contact?

> > Thanks
> > Tersia

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:24:31 GMT
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
Signing a form is not something that is exposed to the Outlook object
model. A user can select to sign or not sign a form but there is no
property or method to enable you to sign a message from code
selectively.

You might want to look at the following KB article to see how to
detect whether a form is signed or not (and encrypted). At least you
can present a dialog when a form is sent if it isn't signed to make
the user sign it. Of course everyone would need a certificate.

The code in the KB article is CDO code, you would have to use that or
Extended MAPI (C++ or Delphi only) to even detect if a form was
signed. The KB article is:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q194623& (make
sure to include the "&" in the URL).

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Quote:
> Let me refrase...

> I need a digital certificate (or some signing mechanism) that will
sign only
> custom forms
> when I send them from my mailbox to recipients. I am building
workflow
> applications
> for clients where managers approve some stages of the business
processes. I
> need
> to verify that the approvers via some kind of digital signing
mechanism.

> I have experimented with the Personal Digital Certificate from
Thawte...

> When I send a custom outlook form (publiched in the Organizational
Forms
> library) or any email message
> (thus including the Standard outlook forms - which I would like to
exclude)
> to a recipient,
> it gets signed with my imported digital certificate
> (which I imported into Outlook from Tools... Options... Security...
> Import\Export... )

> At the recipient the forms icon is changed to indicate that it has
been
> signed by me.

> Although this is working well and is free, it is still not the way I
would
> like to go for client installations using
> my custom outlook workflow processes.

> There must be some other kind of digital certificate  / signing
mechanism
> available that works on the same
> principle as the Personal Digital Certifiacte of Thawte, but only
signs
> specified custom outlook forms...

> Thanks
> Tersia

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 21:53:29 GMT
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
It's also worth nothing that what's being signed is the individual item
created using the form as a template. The form itself isn't signable as you
can sign VBA code.

--
> [...]

> > library) or any email message
> > (thus including the Standard outlook forms - which I would like to
> exclude)
> > to a recipient,
> > it gets signed with my imported digital certificate
> > (which I imported into Outlook from Tools... Options... Security...
> > Import\Export... )

> > At the recipient the forms icon is changed to indicate that it has
> been
> > signed by me.

> > Although this is working well and is free, it is still not the way I
> would
> > like to go for client installations using
> > my custom outlook workflow processes.

> > There must be some other kind of digital certificate  / signing
> mechanism
> > available that works on the same
> > principle as the Personal Digital Certifiacte of Thawte, but only

Sat, 05 Feb 2005 22:26:38 GMT
 Digital Certificate & custom Outlook forms
Sue,
Checked out your signature-referenced website, slipstick.  An excellent
reference point.
Any others for Outlook that you care to share?

Quote:
> AFAIK, Outlook forms can't be signed, period.

> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Outlook and Exchange solutions at http://www.slipstick.com
> Author of
>      Microsoft Outlook Programming Jumpstart - coming September 2002
>      http://www.slipstick.com/books/jumpstart.htm

> > Hi

> > Does anyone have information regarding digital certificates to sign
custom
> > outlook forms with?

> > OnSign had a nice product, but unfortunately they discontinued
operations
> on
> > 5 April 2002...

> > Is there another company  I can contact?

> > Thanks
> > Tersia

Mon, 28 Feb 2005 14:26:12 GMT

1. Digital certificate required for deploying MS Outlook 2000 Macro - help needed

2. Slow Outlook Custom Form Loading & Executing

3. Certificate Server, Certificates & Word 2000 Macro Signing

4. Custom Property changes in Custom Outlook Form

5. digital certificate

6. Help: Digital Certificate (SelfCert.exe)

7. Problem with Digital Certificate

8. BUG with Digital Certificates in Office XP?

9. Need to bypass digital certificate for my personal VBA project

10. Setting Digital Signature Signing Certificate programmatically

11. Digital certificate is always lost when saving VBA project

12. Digital Certificates